Choose: Progressives or the Constitution

How many of the hundreds, perhaps thousand, of changes and interpretations of the constitution have taken place since it went into effect, and of those hundreds, how many were by amendment? Most changes have been by the Court, others by simple use and tradition, some by law. The California constitution has been amended over 600 times and some corporations love that easy amendment process.
I wonder how many laws that we obey today with little question, would be found unconstitutional by certain courts?

Marbury v Madison, for example, was decided in 1803, while the framers and ratifiers of the Constitution were still around and even some were on the court, such as John Marshall, a Virginia delegate in the ratification of the Constitution.

The sort of literalist fundamentalist extremists who like to claim that such things as the power of judicial review are 'unconstitutional' and not what the framers intended conveniently ignore such simple facts.

So to you the Constitution is a god? Is that possibly in conflict with that other god's admonition about not having any other gods before me,

or aren't you a practitioner of that particular faith?

Try to be more astute.

...'god,' lower case is not the same as God.

Exodus 20:3-17 - Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

What a dim-wit!

You don't realize that you just proved my point?

"Do You Capitalize the Word "God"?

One of the most common questions people ask about religious words is whether to capitalize the word “god.” The name of any specific deity is capitalized just like any other name, so when “God” is used to refer to “the one God,” (in other words, in any monotheistic religion) it is capitalized.

For example, you’d capitalize “God” in this sentence:

Some Christians give thanks to God before every meal.

When referring to gods in general, however, or using the word "god" descriptively, keep it lowercase:

The Romans believed a god named Jupiter ruled the heavens.

The Greek gods were always causing trouble for humans."
Grammar Girl : Do You Capitalize ?God?? :: Quick and Dirty Tips ?

I should be getting teacher-pay.

How many of the hundreds, perhaps thousand, of changes and interpretations of the constitution have taken place since it went into effect, and of those hundreds, how many were by amendment? Most changes have been by the Court, others by simple use and tradition, some by law. The California constitution has been amended over 600 times and some corporations love that easy amendment process.
I wonder how many laws that we obey today with little question, would be found unconstitutional by certain courts?

2. For Progressives/Liberals/Democrats....the answer is 'of course! It's all about social justice."

3.For classical liberals/conservatives, the answer is a resounding "No! The amendment process is the only method for changing the Constitution. It's all about the law!"

Pick one.

It's a false choice.

Do you have an opinion on Brown vs. Board of Education, as to whether the Constitution supports the Court's decision?

Marbury v Madison, for example, was decided in 1803, while the framers and ratifiers of the Constitution were still around and even some were on the court, such as John Marshall, a Virginia delegate in the ratification of the Constitution.

The sort of literalist fundamentalist extremists who like to claim that such things as the power of judicial review are 'unconstitutional' and not what the framers intended conveniently ignore such simple facts.

From the OP:

13. Why not an amendment if they are important to our nation?

a. Abandoning originalism means abandoning the rationale which ‘Marbury v. Madison’ uses to justify judicial review. Without originalism there can be no constitutionally limited government, and no judicial review.

b. Marshall wrote that the ‘principles’ of the Constitution ‘are deemed fundamental and permanent’ and, except for formal amendment, “unchangeable.”
See ‘Marbury v. Madison.

Try to be more astute.

...'god,' lower case is not the same as God.

What a dim-wit!

One of the most common questions people ask about religious words is whether to capitalize the word “god.” The name of any specific deity is capitalized just like any other name, so when “God” is used to refer to “the one God,” (in other words, in any monotheistic religion) it is capitalized.

When referring to gods in general, however, or using the word "god" descriptively, keep it lowercase:

The phrase is 'other gods'. The commandment says you shall have no other gods. You said the Constitution is one of your other gods.

2. For Progressives/Liberals/Democrats....the answer is 'of course! It's all about social justice."

3.For classical liberals/conservatives, the answer is a resounding "No! The amendment process is the only method for changing the Constitution. It's all about the law!"

Pick one.

It's a false choice.

Do you have an opinion on Brown vs. Board of Education, as to whether the Constitution supports the Court's decision?

So...you won't pick one that represents your position?
Now...why is that?

I love it when I force you to, inadvertently, admit that I've destroyed your argument.

Pick one.

It's a false choice.

Now...why is that?

I love it when I force you to, inadvertently, admit that I've destroyed your argument.

How does refusing to pick from a false choice ruin anyone's argument.

What a dim-wit!

The phrase is 'other gods'. The commandment says you shall have no other gods. You said the Constitution is one of your other gods.

Amazing, isn't it....English is my second language...yet, I run circles around you in terms of usage.

Constitution, gods with lower case 'g.'

....'god' in reference to the Constitution would be defined as in idealized, or followed.
One might use idolized in the same way.

It's a false choice.

Now...why is that?

Any reading this thread knows full well which of the two choices is the one you endorse.

Yet...you won't admit it.

Skewered.

Now...why is that?

Any reading this thread knows full well which of the two choices is the one you endorse.

Skewered.

waaaaaa.... since you can't think for yourself, why don't you google 'false choice' and let someone else tell you what it means.

What a dim-wit!

Amazing, isn't it....English is my second language...yet, I run circles around you in terms of usage.

....'god' in reference to the Constitution would be defined as in idealized, or followed.

Much in way you've often attempted to disparage liberalism by calling it a religion?

Did the Court make law with Marbury?

From the OP:

a. Abandoning originalism means abandoning the rationale which ‘Marbury v. Madison’ uses to justify judicial review. Without originalism there can be no constitutionally limited government, and no judicial review.

b. Marshall wrote that the ‘principles’ of the Constitution ‘are deemed fundamental and permanent’ and, except for formal amendment, “unchangeable.”
See ‘Marbury v. Madison.

Unchangeable:
changeless, constant, determinate, established, set, settled, stable, steadfast, steady, unaltered, unchanging, unvarying; immovable, unmovable
Unchangeable - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Skewered.

waaaaaa.... since you can't think for yourself, why don't you google 'false choice' and let someone else tell you what it means.

Within the current context, it means you lose.

If you claim that the choice I've offered doesn't represent your position....well, it won't be the first time you've lied.

Recall the promise you made re: food stamps used for multiple other purposes than food?

Last edited:

Much in way you've often attempted to disparage liberalism by calling it a religion?

Since you've dropped your premise....I win again?
Gee...and I have no more room on the abacus to add this win.

And:

"Liberalism" disparages itself without my meager aid.

What a dim-wit!

Amazing, isn't it....English is my second language

well eakspay ouryay irstfay then.

From the OP:

See ‘Marbury v. Madison.

Unchangeable:
changeless, constant, determinate, established, set, settled, stable, steadfast, steady, unaltered, unchanging, unvarying; immovable, unmovable

As Marshall wrote in said in same opinion:

"The question whether an act repugnant to the Constitution can become the law of the land is a question deeply interesting to the United States, but, happily, not of an intricacy proportioned to its interest. It seems only necessary to recognise certain principles, supposed to have been long and well established, to decide it."

It need hardly be said "long and well established" meant longer than 12 years. And so it is obvious why he deferred to the precedent of the Common Law

From the OP:

See ‘Marbury v. Madison.

Unchangeable:

I guess English being your second language might explain the frequency with which you fail to actually answer a question while apparently thinking you did.

From the OP:

See ‘Marbury v. Madison.

Unchangeable:

As Marshall wrote in said in same opinion:

"The question whether an act repugnant to the Constitution can become the law of the land is a question deeply interesting to the United States, but, happily, not of an intricacy proportioned to its interest. It seems only necessary to recognise certain principles, supposed to have been long and well established, to decide it."

It need hardly be said "long and well established" meant longer than 12 years. And so it is obvious why he deferred to the precedent of the Common Law

Unchangeable outside of the amendment process.

From the OP:

See ‘Marbury v. Madison.

Unchangeable:

I guess English being your second language might explain the frequency with which you fail to actually answer a question while apparently thinking you did.

So very glad that you attributed 'thinking' to me....

....sadly, I cannot return the compliment.

Don't you wish your SAT's had four digits?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back