China lands rover on the moon

- while U.S. space program is reduced to begging the Russians for rides

Guest post by Investor's Business Daily

Unexceptional: China becomes the third country to land a spacecraft on the moon in preparation for a manned visit. Meanwhile, U.S. astronauts have to ride Russian spacecraft to fix toilets on the International Space Station.

Tourists visiting the Kennedy Space Center in Florida, where one of America's retired space shuttles now resides, were no doubt able to see news reports of the landing of China's first lunar vehicle, a solar-powered rover, on the surface of the moon.

This goes along with my APOD post today and shows how much we've shut down our space program and NASA. It also means that China is gaining the technology to become a threat to the US. Read more @ Doug Ross @ Journal: China lands rover on the moon while U.S. space program is reduced to begging the Russians for rides with link.

The MASTERS don't a flying fig about the space program, human exploration or even the future of mankind.

That must be obvious to at least some of us, eh?

Why should anyone care if China or India has a mission to the moon? I say good for them. If they can go there, gather useful information and help scientific research, what difference does which country they are matter?

For all those people that think Oblama killed NASA you should hop on over to their website and see what it is they are doing.
new space telescope, deep space exploration vehicles, humans abilities to live in space during long periods of time.

Or you could just post ignorance on this thread so we can laugh at you.

NASA's also researching warp drive. Doesn't mean they HAVE warp drive.

There is no logic in providing food, oxygen, water, physical space and medical support to a human for months or years in space. Safety concerns multiply the cost of a flight. Nobody cares if R2D3 gets destroyed

it is in our makeup to explore RW.....right now we should have a vehicle that can take off on its own and make it to the Moon.....the Space Station should be much more advanced....and we should have a working base on the Moon.....with plans to go to Mars....and just think of all the Technological advances that would have been made in Aeronautics,Engineering,Medicine and Physics.....

That is another problem with manned exploration. Not only do we need to get them out there, we have to safely get them back. Anything beyond the moon requires months or years to get there and back. When you send R2D2, when the mission is over, you just leave him out there.

We can put a hundred rovers on Mars in missions that will last for years for what it costs to put one manned mission there for a few weeks.

ok so whats the point of putting these rovers on Mars if we are not planning on going there at some point?......

Eventually we have to go to Mars because eventually we have to have permanent settlements off-planet or risk the complete extinction of the human race. Don't put all your eggs in one basket like. One big asteroid and it's all over. Off-world settlements ensure continuity.

But yes, it's true that right now robotic exploration is far more cost-effective. And unless we're actually doing something requiring people, that's the way to go. Unfortunately, nothing on the near-future agenda requires people. No point going to Mars unless gonna stay there, or at the very least build some kind of manned base. If simply going to see if we can that's a wasted effort. And untilw e have an actual spacecraft (as opposed to a low-orbit insertion vehicle like the shuttles) any discussion of going there is a waste of breath. There are significant and lethal hurdles to be overcome travelling beyond the Earth's protective magnetic field like with solar and cosmis radiation, and what about if a grain of sand hits the ship at speed knocking a huge hole in it? So much for that crew.

it is in our makeup to explore RW.....right now we should have a vehicle that can take off on its own and make it to the Moon.....the Space Station should be much more advanced....and we should have a working base on the Moon.....with plans to go to Mars....and just think of all the Technological advances that would have been made in Aeronautics,Engineering,Medicine and Physics.....

That is another problem with manned exploration. Not only do we need to get them out there, we have to safely get them back. Anything beyond the moon requires months or years to get there and back. When you send R2D2, when the mission is over, you just leave him out there.

We can put a hundred rovers on Mars in missions that will last for years for what it costs to put one manned mission there for a few weeks.

ok so whats the point of putting these rovers on Mars if we are not planning on going there at some point?......

You got me...

I see little economic value in space exploration. From a scientific perspective and research on the origins of the universe and search for life ...I can see it

Why do we need warm bodies to do that?

You got me...

I see little economic value in space exploration. From a scientific perspective and research on the origins of the universe and search for life ...I can see it

at some point,living beings will be on a ship heading out there....its the way it is....

You got me...

When the Earth killing asteroid is on final approach.. We NEED Bruce Willis and a bunch of engineers up there with drills and ducktape to plant the nuclear charges.. Can't be last minute reprogramming the mission with the coders from the ObamaCare.gov..

You got me...

When the Earth killing asteroid is on final approach.. We NEED Bruce Willis and a bunch of engineers up there with drills and ducktape to plant the nuclear charges.. Can't be last minute reprogramming the mission with the coders from the ObamaCare.gov..

What part of our current space program involves blowing up asteroids and bringing Ben Affleck home to Liv Tyler?

You got me...

What part of our current space program involves blowing up asteroids and bringing Ben Affleck home to Liv Tyler?

Actually there are several active projects to monitor and intercept killer asteroids. ONE is a PRIVATE effort to put up an observatory in our "blind spot".. Maybe Liv Tyler has donated to that cause.. :lol: Don't mess with fate.. We wont have a CHANCE to abandon earth if some drunk asteroid ruins our party prematurely..
:eek:

China released a statement today saying they have taken the $17 trillion that the US owes them
and placed a bid on EBay to buy the Moon.

I checked tonight and so far they are winning that bid.

I don't think you understand China. They are much more likely to simply declare that the moon has always been part of China, and establish a 'space defense' zone around it that everyone had better honor - or else!

I could be on board with a program devoted to sending Ben Affleck on a one way ticket to space. As he's banging on the inner door of the rocket and yelling, the mission commander can just say "this is for Gigli...fire."

Maybe we could sell raffle tickets to be the one who pushes the button. Think ten bucks a ticket. We could fund NASA for decades if each ticket gives someone the chance to shoot Ben Affleck into the Sun.

I don't think you understand China. They are much more likely to simply declare that the moon has always been part of China, and establish a 'space defense' zone around it that everyone had better honor - or else!

You forgot to mention ancient Chinese maps that support the Chinese claim.

Uncle Ferd says dat's how dey gonna put bombs up in space to blow our satellites outta the sky...

China launches new type of carrier rocket: State media
Sep 20, 2015: China on Sunday launched a new, smaller type of rocket from its "Long March" family which will be primarily used for carrying satellites aloft, state media reported, as the country races ahead with an ambitious space programme.
The Long March-6, a newly developed carrier rocket which uses liquid propellant, took off from a launch base in the northern province of Shanxi on Sunday morning carrying 20 "micro" satellites, the official Xinhua news agency said. The white rocket, imprinted with the Chinese flag at the top, climbed into bluish-grey skies, footage aired by state broadcaster China Central Television (CCTV) showed. One Chinese official suggested that the smaller rocket will make China more competitive in the lucrative market for commercial satellite launches. "We believe it will greatly boost the competitiveness of Chinese carrier rockets in the international market," Zhang Weidong, chief designer at the Shanghai Academy of Spaceflight Technology, told Xinhua. "The new model will also significantly improve our ability to access space," he said.

China launches its own satellites as it continues to build a homegrown navigation system, but also carries out launches for other countries and commercial companies. The rocket is 29.3 metres (97 feet) high, shorter than others actively used in China's space programme, reports said. Long March-6 uses fuel composed of liquid oxygen and kerosene, which is said to be free of toxicity and pollution. State media hailed the achievement, saying the launch marked a record for the number of satellites carried by a Chinese rocket and its first time for the "environmentally-friendly" fuel.

The small satellites will be used for "experiments" in technology and new products, CCTV said, but gave no details. China's space programme, which has potential military applications, is shrouded in secrecy. "The separation control for 20 satellites required high accuracy, precision and reliability," Hao Yaofeng, a technician at the Taiyuan Satellite Launch Center, told CCTV. A 2011 policy paper issued by the State Council, or cabinet, said the Long March-6 would be capable of placing a tonne of payload into orbit at a height of 700 kilometres (434 miles). State media publicly announced plans for the Long March-6 in 2009, but said at the time the first launch was scheduled for 2013.

China's "Long March" rocket family is named after an epic journey by Communist forces escaping the then ruling Kuomintang in the 1930s. Chinese scientists earlier this month said the country is planning to land a lunar probe on the dark side of the moon before 2020, according to state media. In 2013, China landed a rover dubbed Yutu on the moon, making it only the third nation after the United States and Soviet Union to land on the Earth's natural satellite. China completed its first return mission to the moon last year with an unmanned probe landing successfully back on Earth.

China launches new type of carrier rocket: State media - The Times of India

Uncle Ferd says dat's how dey gonna put bombs up in space to blow our satellites outta the sky...

China launches new type of carrier rocket: State media
Sep 20, 2015: China on Sunday launched a new, smaller type of rocket from its "Long March" family which will be primarily used for carrying satellites aloft, state media reported, as the country races ahead with an ambitious space programme.
The Long March-6, a newly developed carrier rocket which uses liquid propellant, took off from a launch base in the northern province of Shanxi on Sunday morning carrying 20 "micro" satellites, the official Xinhua news agency said. The white rocket, imprinted with the Chinese flag at the top, climbed into bluish-grey skies, footage aired by state broadcaster China Central Television (CCTV) showed. One Chinese official suggested that the smaller rocket will make China more competitive in the lucrative market for commercial satellite launches. "We believe it will greatly boost the competitiveness of Chinese carrier rockets in the international market," Zhang Weidong, chief designer at the Shanghai Academy of Spaceflight Technology, told Xinhua. "The new model will also significantly improve our ability to access space," he said.

China launches its own satellites as it continues to build a homegrown navigation system, but also carries out launches for other countries and commercial companies. The rocket is 29.3 metres (97 feet) high, shorter than others actively used in China's space programme, reports said. Long March-6 uses fuel composed of liquid oxygen and kerosene, which is said to be free of toxicity and pollution. State media hailed the achievement, saying the launch marked a record for the number of satellites carried by a Chinese rocket and its first time for the "environmentally-friendly" fuel.

The small satellites will be used for "experiments" in technology and new products, CCTV said, but gave no details. China's space programme, which has potential military applications, is shrouded in secrecy. "The separation control for 20 satellites required high accuracy, precision and reliability," Hao Yaofeng, a technician at the Taiyuan Satellite Launch Center, told CCTV. A 2011 policy paper issued by the State Council, or cabinet, said the Long March-6 would be capable of placing a tonne of payload into orbit at a height of 700 kilometres (434 miles). State media publicly announced plans for the Long March-6 in 2009, but said at the time the first launch was scheduled for 2013.

China's "Long March" rocket family is named after an epic journey by Communist forces escaping the then ruling Kuomintang in the 1930s. Chinese scientists earlier this month said the country is planning to land a lunar probe on the dark side of the moon before 2020, according to state media. In 2013, China landed a rover dubbed Yutu on the moon, making it only the third nation after the United States and Soviet Union to land on the Earth's natural satellite. China completed its first return mission to the moon last year with an unmanned probe landing successfully back on Earth.

China launches new type of carrier rocket: State media - The Times of India

No offense, but have you EVER posted ANYTHING that wasn't JUST a copy and paste from an article? Why not try offering up a personal opinion, observation, or experience without a copy/paste once in a while?

Forum List

Back