China is stepping up military preparedness to overtake Taiwan, the island's Foreign Minister Joseph Wu said on Wednesday

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Just as the West did with Poland and others in 1939, we will turn our backs once again on an ally. You can see how weak Western leadership it today, it's offensive to the human soul.

There is a coordinated effort to assist China in their rise, far too many outspoken about their ambitions.

Chinese military threat on the rise, Taiwan foreign minister warns

TAIPEI (Reuters) - China is stepping up military preparedness to overtake Taiwan, the island's Foreign Minister Joseph Wu said on Wednesday, following a recent spike of Chinese drills near the island which Beijing considers its own.

Taiwan has complained that China has stepped up threatening military activities near Taiwan in recent months. Beijing has not renounced the use of force to bring the democratic island under its control.

"Looking on the long-term trend, China appears to be gradually stepping up its military preparedness, especially in air or on the waters near Taiwan," Wu told reporters.

"What China is doing now is continuing to ramp up preparedness to solve the Taiwan issue," he said.

"The threat is on the rise."

Beijing routinely says such exercises are nothing unusual and are designed to show the country's determination to defend its sovereignty.

Taiwan's defence ministry in June reported eight incidents of intrusion of Chinese military planes in its air defence identification zone, in which Taiwan jets gave radio warnings to usher the intruders out of the airspace.

Just as the West did with Poland and others in 1939, we will turn our backs once again on an ally. You can see how weak Western leadership it today, it's offensive to the human soul.

There is a coordinated effort to assist China in their rise, far too many outspoken about their ambitions.

TAIPEI (Reuters) - China is stepping up military preparedness to overtake Taiwan, the island's Foreign Minister Joseph Wu said on Wednesday, following a recent spike of Chinese drills near the island which Beijing considers its own.

Taiwan has complained that China has stepped up threatening military activities near Taiwan in recent months. Beijing has not renounced the use of force to bring the democratic island under its control.

"Looking on the long-term trend, China appears to be gradually stepping up its military preparedness, especially in air or on the waters near Taiwan," Wu told reporters.

"What China is doing now is continuing to ramp up preparedness to solve the Taiwan issue," he said.

Beijing routinely says such exercises are nothing unusual and are designed to show the country's determination to defend its sovereignty.

Taiwan's defence ministry in June reported eight incidents of intrusion of Chinese military planes in its air defence identification zone, in which Taiwan jets gave radio warnings to usher the intruders out of the airspace.
Seriously, I never thought the US would actually ever militarily oppose an invasion of Taiwan. Just never seemed like something the American people would really get behind. All any of us really know about them is the shoddiest goods ever imported to America.

Seriously, I never thought the US would actually ever militarily oppose an invasion of Taiwan. Just never seemed like something the American people would really get behind. All any of us really know about them is the shoddiest goods ever imported to America.
America needs leadership

no one thought we would stand up to communist agression in south korea

president truman made that tough decision and America followed his lead

I know biden would fold to china

thats why china is desperate to remove trump from office

Last edited:

Based on this post, I certainly believe that that's all YOU know about Taiwan.

Taiwan would crush an invasion

They have been preparing for 70 years

All we need to provide is satellite and airborne recon to provide advanced warning. Taiwan has the airforce, anti-ship missiles and sub forces to crush an invasion

So what happened to Iraq that we took over and tore it to shreds?
^^ and there we have it, ladies and gentlemen, the left will cheer on the CCP if and when they invade Taiwan as well as Hong Kong.

Communist ass-lickers to the end.

Why would China invade Taiwan?

It would lead to an economic boycott that would destroy the advances they have made over the last 30 years

It would lead to an economic boycott that would destroy the advances they have made over the last 30 years
That is naive at best.

David Lampton:
He is director of China studies at the Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies.
blank.gif

How dangerous is the Taiwan issue?

... prior to the World Trade Center bombing and its aftermath, if you asked where in the world could two major nuclear powers come into conflict, I would have said that the only probable place -- and it is probably still the only probable place -- where two big nuclear powers could come into conflict would be the Taiwan Strait.

In effect, the prevention of Taiwan going independent is absolutely critical to the legitimacy of the Chinese communist regime. Chinese leaders believe that, if they were to let Taiwan go independent and not respond, they would probably be overthrown by their own nationalistic people. Therefore, I think they would be willing to engage in what we might call "self-defeating military adventures" in order to prevent that result, even if they knew they were going to lose.

So in my view, the key problem for the United States is how to deter the PRC from using force against Taiwan. We have to be very clear about that, because I think the United States would intervene if force were used under most circumstances I can imagine. But on the other hand, we have to deter Taiwan from engaging in such risky behavior that they precipitate an attack that will be destabilizing to Asia, destroy the Taiwan economy and drag the United States into a regional conflict.

Last edited:

That is naive at best.

David Lampton:
He is director of China studies at the Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies.
blank.gif

... prior to the World Trade Center bombing and its aftermath, if you asked where in the world could two major nuclear powers come into conflict, I would have said that the only probable place -- and it is probably still the only probable place -- where two big nuclear powers could come into conflict would be the Taiwan Strait.

In effect, the prevention of Taiwan going independent is absolutely critical to the legitimacy of the Chinese communist regime. Chinese leaders believe that, if they were to let Taiwan go independent and not respond, they would probably be overthrown by their own nationalistic people. Therefore, I think they would be willing to engage in what we might call "self-defeating military adventures" in order to prevent that result, even if they knew they were going to lose.

So in my view, the key problem for the United States is how to deter the PRC from using force against Taiwan. We have to be very clear about that, because I think the United States would intervene if force were used under most circumstances I can imagine. But on the other hand, we have to deter Taiwan from engaging in such risky behavior that they precipitate an attack that will be destabilizing to Asia, destroy the Taiwan economy and drag the United States into a regional conflict.
Taiwan has been independent for 70 years

China is more stable and has more to lose by invading Taiwan than at any time in that 70 years.

Invasions are not easy. Landing sizeable forces by air or by sea makes them subject to modern deterrents

You mean like going in and changing extradition laws with Hong Kong and violating their deal with the world? Or maybe staying silent about a virus that would destroy the global economy and kill over half a million.

Sounds like they are REALLY concerned about our reaction...

That is naive at best.

David Lampton:
blank.gif

Taiwan has been independent for 70 years

China is more stable and has more to lose by invading Taiwan than at any time in that 70 years.

Invasions are not easy. Landing sizeable forces by air or by sea makes them subject to modern deterrents
You do not understand the dynamics here. This is a power and proud thing, a dynastic thing.

Who is going to lead a boycott? Mao loving Dems? Not to mention China makes nearly all of our tech and pharmaceuticals, and Dems sure as hell aren’t going to change that.

Taiwan is crucial. Of strategic import similar that of Israel. All the more so in the future.

.....when countries see other countries in trouble or turmoil, they sometimes initiate wars/etc thinking it's a good time to do so

Who is going to lead a boycott? Mao loving Dems? Not to mention China makes nearly all of our tech and pharmaceuticals, and Dems sure as hell aren’t going to change that.
Unlike the past, China’s economy depends on the West not just the US. An invasion of Taiwan would kill the Golden Goose

Unlike the past, China’s economy depends on the West not just the US. An invasion of Taiwan would kill the Golden Goose
If Beijing Biden is the President, they know he wouldn’t lift a finger to stop them. China is gearing up in case he wins.

Forum List

Back