Cheesy grits with crispy bacon.

Grits the often maligned food.

Add some chedder cheese, and a little crumbled bacon.......yum.

Do you use instant grits or stone ground regular grits?

I had grits 20 years ago and I was not fond of them at all. I think I have a box in my cupboard that has been there for at least a year because I was quite sure if they were home made they would be better. I just........haven't gotten around to it. They might still suck.

Grits by themselves suck!!!
It's what you add to them that makes them great.
Think of it as redneck Tofu.

Like what?
Like cheese and bacon.
And margarine or butter.
Only an idiot has margarine in the house. Nasty shit. Get some ghee

Grits the often maligned food.

Add some chedder cheese, and a little crumbled bacon.......yum.

Do you use instant grits or stone ground regular grits?
I use quick grits which take about 5 minutes to prepare.

I had grits 20 years ago and I was not fond of them at all. I think I have a box in my cupboard that has been there for at least a year because I was quite sure if they were home made they would be better. I just........haven't gotten around to it. They might still suck.
Stop calling it grits and start calling it polenta and it will taste better.

I make a really delicious Roasted poblano and cheddar polenta and it tastes far better than roasted poblano and cheddar grits

I've never had grits, but anything with cheese and bacon must be good! I probably wouldn't like the texture of grits. I don't like mushy foods like that. I could never stand the consistency of oatmeal. It always makes me gag.

I've never had grits, but anything with cheese and bacon must be good! I probably wouldn't like the texture of grits. I don't like mushy foods like that. I could never stand the consistency of oatmeal. It always makes me gag.
a lot of people have issues with the texture of food- I get that. I had that issue for years with avocados but luckily got past that.

Grits can be smooth and creamy like oatmeal- or can be made thicker- more like mashed potatoes. As others have mentioned- they are essentially the same thing as polenta but polenta sounds fancier.

Think the texture of cream of wheat. We add a beaten egg, onions and cheese and make it like a creamy grits souffle. And no, I may be a minority but I don't consider myself poor. It's just a cultural food much in the way of how scrapple is super yummy to people.

Just had a great big bowl of cheesy grits with lots of crispy bacon broken into the grits.
I am blessed.

Indeed you are.

Picture this if you will: Grits with cheese and salt pork + all you can eat Catfish. (Greens on the side)

a lot of people have issues with the texture of food- I get that. I had that issue for years with avocados but luckily got past that.

Grits can be smooth and creamy like oatmeal- or can be made thicker- more like mashed potatoes. As others have mentioned- they are essentially the same thing as polenta but polenta sounds fancier.

I actually love mashed potatoes, as long as there aren't a lot of lumps in them. Isn't polenta more firm? I think I've seen people cut it. I don't think you can cut through grits. :D

Just had a great big bowl of cheesy grits with lots of crispy bacon broken into the grits.
I am blessed.

Indeed you are.

Picture this if you will: Grits with cheese and salt pork + all you can eat Catfish. (Greens on the side)

I've never had catfish either. I've only eaten salt water fishes except Tilapia. I've heard catfish is good though.

I am blessed.

Indeed you are.

I've never had catfish either. I've only eaten salt water fishes except Tilapia. I've heard catfish is good though.

Seriously? One of my very first memories is my Grandma calling me down to her house for grits. Yessir! I was in diapers, even.

I am blessed.

Indeed you are.

Seriously? One of my very first memories is my Grandma calling me down to her house for grits. Yessir! I was in diapers, even.

Nope. Nobody ever made those in my family that I'm aware of. We are not southerners though. I don't think grits are very common here. I like corn bread though! Must have corn bread with my chili!

I am blessed.

Indeed you are.

Nope. Nobody ever made those in my family that I'm aware of. We are not southerners though. I don't think grits are very common here. I like corn bread though! Must have corn bread with my chili!

Hopefully sweet cornbread and not that dry crumbly stuff!
And the best thing about sweet cornbread?
Pouring whole milk over it in the morning for breakfast.:eusa_drool:

I am blessed.

Indeed you are.

Around here, cornbread is made with sour milk. Good for cornbread. Cereal, notsomuch.

I am blessed.

Indeed you are.

I hate to admit that I use a box kind. I tried making it a few times but I couldn't find a corn meal that tasted right. It was pretty bland. I'm not sure I know what sweet cornbread is.

Indeed you are.

Around here, cornbread is made with sour milk. Good for cornbread. Cereal, notsomuch.

We use Buttermilk.
1 cup flour,1 cup cornmeal,1/2 tsp baking soda,1/2 tsp salt,1 cup buttermilk,1/2 cup butter,1/2 cup sugar,2 eggs,1 tbsp honey.

Indeed you are.

I hate to admit that I use a box kind. I tried making it a few times but I couldn't find a corn meal that tasted right. It was pretty bland. I'm not sure I know what sweet cornbread is.

See below......

Forum List

Back