‘Cheap manufacturing be damned’: Sentiment builds for moving U.S. companies out of China

I'm 100% for it. Regardless we have to continue exports to maintain our status as world power, otherwise we'd give that status to China. If countries were to become isolated, then yes, no country would complete with the USA, we'd be set.

I think we should also end foreigners owning U.S. real estate. That said millennial's already screwed the pooch on that one. Many figured they were above property ownership. They didn't take into account they'll be paying the Chinese rent in the form of 5Kish by their 60th B-days.
Isolated countries fail economically.

To be fair, there has never been an isolated country on a scale of the US.

AND, as we seen to be destined to be fucked by any trading partner, isolation could be a competitive policy.

THe choice seems to be either be the world's bitch, or take our ball and go home.
How do you mean? The USSR failed miserably. Pretty big country.

Failed because they tried to have a big empire AND we fought them.

Not because they were isolated.
Being isolated is bad for capitalism. Very bad .

I'm 100% for it. Regardless we have to continue exports to maintain our status as world power, otherwise we'd give that status to China. If countries were to become isolated, then yes, no country would complete with the USA, we'd be set.

I think we should also end foreigners owning U.S. real estate. That said millennial's already screwed the pooch on that one. Many figured they were above property ownership. They didn't take into account they'll be paying the Chinese rent in the form of 5Kish by their 60th B-days.

AND, as we seen to be destined to be fucked by any trading partner, isolation could be a competitive policy.

THe choice seems to be either be the world's bitch, or take our ball and go home.

Being the world's bitch on trade, hasn't been that great either.

If only there was a third option. But there does not seem to be one.

The only way to do that is with taxes. Impose massive taxes on those who move to make it too expensive to be overseas.

Only then will we see manufacturing return to America.

Massive government interference in the markets! That's what America needs! Yeah! And big taxes on the rich!

and cheap labor from anywhere too

showing that, once again, Trump was correct

we need to make our own stuff and never be reliant on ANY other country for the things we need

that includes oild from the ME as well

Iconusaflagsmiley.gif

LINK

American companies that produce essential goods in China should plan to shift their operations back to the United States or other Western countries, according to a senior Republican lawmaker.

“We're staring into a significant, significant crisis of supply chain,” Colorado Sen. Cory Gardner told the Washington Examiner. “Cheap labor or cheap manufacturing be damned if you are reliant on them for your life and livelihood.”

Gardner’s warning was spurred by the shortage of hospital masks in the United States, a dearth driven by Beijing’s refusal to allow American companies that make the products in China to ship them out of the country amid the coronavirus pandemic. And he’s not alone in that sentiment, raising the possibility that anger over China’s self-interested response to the coronavirus outbreak could produce one of the most dramatic alterations of global economics in decades.

“Because of the coronavirus problem, people are recognizing that any supply chain that has single points of failure is incredibly vulnerable,” the Heritage Foundation’s Dean Cheng, a senior research fellow in the organization’s Asian Studies Center, told the Washington Examiner. “China is going to be very concerned about decoupling, offshoring, [or any] redirection of investments out of China.”

I have no issues with things like meds and medial related supplies coming back to the US...do not really give a fuck who makes my TV or my phone.

APPLE: Hello, Senator Gardner?

GARDNER: Yes?

APPLE: Hi. If you were to spike any bills which involve punishing companies who manufacture overseas, we might see our way clear to donating...ohhhh...three million to your campaign?

GARDNER: Well, if you knew anything about me, you'd know my favorite number is five.

APPLE: Understood.

We have the biggest economy in the world with the most wealth and we’ve had super low unemployment. Seems to be fine.

The only way to do that is with taxes. Impose massive taxes on those who move to make it too expensive to be overseas.

Massive government interference in the markets! That's what America needs! Yeah!

Your use of buzzwords is noted.
I am making it plain what you are advocating.

Pseudocons sound more and more like commies every day.

We have the biggest economy in the world with the most wealth and we’ve had super low unemployment. Seems to be fine.

No, we're not. Our middle class wages have stagnated and our middle class and lower class have lost faith in the future.

People are dying from this shit. To the point that our life expectancy is actually FALLING.

Good macro economic numbers have been hiding generations of pain.

Try to change policy.

Massive government interference in the markets! That's what America needs! Yeah!

Your new use of buzzwords is also noted.

No one thinks that you care about the shit you are pretending to care about. So it is just about causing an emotional reaction in other people.

Which, adds nothing to the debate.

Your words are meaningless noise.

No one thinks that you care about the shit you are pretending to care about. So it is just about causing an emotional reaction in other people.

You are demanding massive government interference in the markets, dipshit.

You can blow smoke all day long, but it won't hide your advocacy for government interference one bit.

Nice try.

I am grateful to Trump for finally exposing just how shallow and hypocritical pseudocons are. They have abdicated on every last principle they falsely claimed to believe in.

Well done, Trump. You went from a far left New York limousine liberal Democrat to the man who ripped the mask off the malignant metastasized maggots who have overrun the Right.

No, we're not. Our middle class wages have stagnated and our middle class and lower class have lost faith in the future.

People are dying from this shit. To the point that our life expectancy is actually FALLING.

Try to change policy.
That is an internal problem . We have the wealth and jobs. That wouldn’t change if we were isolated.

and cheap labor from anywhere too

showing that, once again, Trump was correct

we need to make our own stuff and never be reliant on ANY other country for the things we need

that includes oil from the ME as well

Iconusaflagsmiley.gif

LINK

American companies that produce essential goods in China should plan to shift their operations back to the United States or other Western countries, according to a senior Republican lawmaker.

“We're staring into a significant, significant crisis of supply chain,” Colorado Sen. Cory Gardner told the Washington Examiner. “Cheap labor or cheap manufacturing be damned if you are reliant on them for your life and livelihood.”

Gardner’s warning was spurred by the shortage of hospital masks in the United States, a dearth driven by Beijing’s refusal to allow American companies that make the products in China to ship them out of the country amid the coronavirus pandemic. And he’s not alone in that sentiment, raising the possibility that anger over China’s self-interested response to the coronavirus outbreak could produce one of the most dramatic alterations of global economics in decades.

“Because of the coronavirus problem, people are recognizing that any supply chain that has single points of failure is incredibly vulnerable,” the Heritage Foundation’s Dean Cheng, a senior research fellow in the organization’s Asian Studies Center, told the Washington Examiner. “China is going to be very concerned about decoupling, offshoring, [or any] redirection of investments out of China.”

The problem is not where things are manufactured. The problem is that no one anticipated this. Even if it were made in the US, it would still take time. This is not Russia and the government cannot tell businesses where to make their products.

You are demanding massive government interference in the markets, dipshit.

You can blow smoke all day long, but it won't hide your advocacy for government interference one bit.

Nice try.

I'm not the one making arguments, I don't care about. That would be you, you are the one blowing smoke.

It is funny how little you libs understand the concept that words have actual meanings.

Try to change policy.
That is an internal problem . We have the wealth and jobs. That wouldn’t change if we were isolated.

It is not an internal problem. It is a problem caused by external trade and the inflow of labor.

Time to change policy.

Well...

While we are not buying Chinese made products, I guess we won’t be selling into the world’s fastest growing market either. Is it better to move “our” factories and supply chains to ... Vietnam? Indonesia? India? Africa?

As for cheap, poor products ... 70 years ago Japan was also known for those. China has been clawing its way up the quality chain, and now at least in 5G is as good or better than we.

Some people here talk as if we should actually bring back our factories and investors from Vietnam, Indonesia, India ... and Wahhabi Saudi Arabia! Hmm. Come to think of it, why not save ourselves and the whole world a lot of trouble by closing our 700 or so miIitary bases all over the world?

What's interesting is U.S. isolation would probably lend itself to higher wages, less junk you don't need, more discipline, a rise in work ethic and unity.

PROGS would hate it.

Forum List

Back