Cessna 414 -- Inspired by Billy_Kinetta

CWayne

Gold Member
Sep 4, 2019
So, I'm getting back into Sim-ing and in the "Mayday, Mayday, Mayday" thread in the Badlands, Billy_Kinetta posted a pic of a cool looking Cessna 414 model.

I thought it would be interesting to fly it, having never flown that model before, so I picked up one from a website dedicated to flight simulation addons and aircraft. If you want to know which website, hit me up on private and I'll give you the link.

Anyway, I downloaded the base model and then a few paint jobs (Livery) that I liked and applied them to the one I downloaded. Here is a picture of it on the runway waiting to go.

Cessna414.png

A nice looking plane.

This is at Sacramento International (KSMF) just before I filed for IFR clearance to San Francisco (KSFO).

Here is the cockpit view just before push back for departure.

awaitingPushBack.png

After taxing out to take off, I got in line for takeoff on RWY 34L.

gettingInLine.png

When it got to be my turn, I lined up on 34L for takeoff.

takeoff34L.png

Then begins the 35-minute flight to KSFO. This is the turn from takeoff toward SFO.

turningTowardSF.png

Enroute to SFO. A very nice looking plane.

enroute.png

So, the flight was at 6,000 feet and this is just before I began my descent to the approach (Basically, the base leg of the flight).

decentIntoSouthSF.png

Beginning down to 3200 feet and the turn to final.

decentTo3200.png

Turning toward the final approach -- Getting in line. The orange dot is the plane ahead of me to land.

turningTowardSF.png

So, getting in line behind the 737.

behindThe737.png

Finally, two views of the runway 28R into KSFO on final approach... One exterior view and one cockpit view.

exteriorFinalApproach.png

finalApproachCockpit.png

I have to publish the final image after this as the website only allows 15 image attachments.

Attachments

• takeoff34L.png
    takeoff34L.png
    96.7 KB · Views: 100
  • gettingInLine.png
    gettingInLine.png
    101.4 KB · Views: 102
  • turningToFinal.png
    turningToFinal.png
    127.9 KB · Views: 101
Finally, here is the flight crossing the threshold of RWY 28R into KSFO.

crossingThreshhold.png

Yeah, I was off the centerline. The active sky addon said that the wind at the airport tonight was pretty strong and I failed to compensate.

Do yourself a solid and get X-Plane 11 (it's only 3 years old) and some third party terrain renders. You'll be glad you did.

So how much time and distance between you and the 737?
It was about 8 miles distance, but his landing speed is so much higher than that of the Cessna 414 that I was never in any danger of catching him. I would say he lands at about 137 to 143 while I was slowing my aircraft to approx 120. Not sure if that is the correct landing speed for this plane because this was the first flight for me with it.

But I would say the time between us was about five minutes.

I was playing flight simulators probably long before the OP knew how to turn on a computer.

My first was Flight Sim 4.0, then a huge upgrade to flight sim 95. The last I played was FSX and that was in 2006. I find Xplane too difficult to learn. It's not intuitive at all. Being a real pilot I know a Cessna ain't hard to fly so it shouldn't take an act of congress to try to figure out how to start the engine.

But I fly other flight sims that are war games. I've been flying the IL2 series since 2003. I also used to fly Janes f-18 and Lock On. For a game that came out in 2003 Lock on still looks awesome if you can manage to get it to run on modern operating systems.

Last edited:
Do yourself a solid and get X-Plane 11 (it's only 3 years old) and some third party terrain renders. You'll be glad you did.
I already have it. I also have P3D v4.5. But I'm waiting on upgrade parts for this computer for both.

I've bumped the RAM from 8 GB to 32. But I have an onboard GPU and with both X11 and P3D, I can only get 1 FPS.

o_Oo_O

So, I'm waiting a new PSU and a GPU. It should be here in a week.

Had to go with a two-year old GPU card though because I have to do a low profile. The MB power connections won't let me put a duel slot graphics card.

I was playing flight simulators probably long before the OP knew how to turn on a computer.

My first was Flight Sim 4.0, then a huge upgrade to flight sim 95.
Dood, I"m almost 60 years old and I've been playing with computers since 1987. Let's not get above ourselves, wot?

My first was Flight Sim 4.0, then a huge upgrade to flight sim 95.
Dood, I"m almost 60 years old and I've been playing with computers since 1987. Let's not get above ourselves, wot?

Me too. My first game was oregon trail on a monochrome apple. Lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Right now, winds at SFO per the ATIS is winds at 28, gusts to 31.

My first was Flight Sim 4.0, then a huge upgrade to flight sim 95. The last I played was FSX and that was in 2006. I find Xplane too difficult to learn. It's not intuitive at all. Being a real pilot I know a Cessna ain't hard to fly so it shouldn't take an act of congress to try to figure out how to start the engine.

But I fly other flight sims that are war games. I've been flying the IL2 series since 2003. I also used to fly Janes f-18 and Lock On. For a game that came out in 2003 Lock on still looks awesome if you can manage to get it to run on modern operating systems.
I have Ace Combat 7 VR on the PS4. It is pretty good but I haven't had time to play it much.

Yea I never played much on game systems. I did Atari for a while then Super Nintendo for a bit and that was it.

The 414 is quite nice for medium size businesses with multiple plant locations separated by not much more than 1,000 miles. Fast enough. Capable of dealing with some pretty nasty weather. Trustworthy over water. I never got to fly left seat in one but did put in a number of right-seat hours into Las Vegas at NAB convention times. For some reason I've never had any inclination to try a home computer type flight simulator.

But for plrivate personal use? The 414 seems a bit of overkill. Now a 185 on amphibious floats....yeah, that might make sense for multiple seasons in areas where runways are plowed or there the lakes aren't iced.

I always thought the 414 was a pretty plane but it's getting old now. The newest one is 36 years old.

Me too. Still have FS95 on the old P90 comp. It of course has the World Trade Center and Meigs Field.

Forum List

Back