CERN Large Hadron Collider Fires Up Tomorrow

What a silly request.

Should I also define the word chromosome, without referring to genetics?
Non sequitur. Try thinking about it for a change.
Okay, define such use of the term "particle" without referring to quantum mechanics.. Can you say "gibberish"?
Merriam-Webster, for example, has no problem doing so:

Definition of particle

1a: a minute quantity or fragment
b: a relatively small or the smallest discrete portion or amount of something
That is what most people think and mean when they read, hear, or use the term "particle" since dictionaries list the most common usage of terms first. Notice: no reference to "quantum mechanics" required. Contrary to your implication, it was a serious question. Certainly not difficult, loaded, or "silly."

Silly is how "quantum mechanics" predictably fails so miserably when seriously attempting to define its own chosen terms. Why? Because it's all gibberish built upon circular reasoned gibberish.
“We say they are ‘fundamental,’” said Xiao-Gang Wen, a theoretical physicist at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. “But that’s just a [way to say] to students, ‘Don’t ask! I don’t know the answer. It’s fundamental; don’t ask anymore.’”

With any other object, the object’s properties depend on its physical makeup — ultimately, its constituent particles. But those particles’ properties derive not from constituents of their own but from mathematical patterns. As points of contact between mathematics and reality, particles straddle both worlds with an uncertain footing.
Before "quantum mechanics" there was Electrical Science - a study that actually made sense. High time we got back to it.

Last edited:
Space research has given us many benefits that we now take for granted right here on Earth.

There are massive resources available in our solar system that we can access when we advance further and are able to reduce the costs of launching.

The possibilities are endless.

Our government wastes far more money with inefficiency than what is actually invested into space.
The private sector investing in space is the only way to reduce costs. No Government in the history of the world has ever made anything cheaper

Non sequitur. Try thinking about it for a change
I did. You are asking me to define a particle without using the scientific definition. Of a particle. Pure folly. It doesn't matter if they call it a particle or call it Fred. This is scientific model that describes and predicts the behavior of particles, as defined by the model.

Like hell you did.
You are asking me to define a particle without using the scientific definition.
WRONG!
There is no established "scientific definition" -- as was made plain within the material I SUPPLIED FOR YOU -- where even the tippy top QM experts couldn't agree upon any "scientific definition" for "particle" -- EVEN THOUGH.. EVEN THOUGH.. it's clearly the basis of THEIR supposed ENTIRE FIELD OF STUDY.. You're welcome! Now, ready to get serious? Read up (the whole thing if necessary) and try addressing this very serious question like the adult I know you are capable of being..

Should words not have meaning? Does (even a quantum mechanic) calling a blob of massless energy "a particle" while also calling tangible blobs of mass "particles" make sense or have any practical value? I say no. I stated THAT's gibberish first. You need to explain why it's not if you genuinely believe otherwise.

There is no established "scientific definition"

Well that was easy.

It's a concept in a model. Yes, the co cept changes, as we learn more.

Still you didn't refute a word I said.

Last edited:

Well that was easy.
We may never know what light is -- particle or wave? It could be both.

That said, the ones who keep discussing it as a particle gets boring.

Well that was easy.
What, you linking the expert source I supplied for you which also failed to address the question?
It's a concept in a model. Yes, the co cept changes, as we learn more.

Still you didn't refute a word I said.
I can almost hear the ancient Greeks tossing and groaning in their crypts witnessing how you dissemble, continuing to supply word salad rather than substance.. Ah, there ya go. - Does a particle have substance? Simple enough.. Try addressing that.. Yes or no. Say something beefy, decisive, pertinent.. Take an identifiable stand. The concept of "the atom" or "quantum" existed long before Einstein and "quantum mechanics" came along pretending to invent the notion of discrete, fundamental quantities and so forth. It's really okay, you're allowed to stop kissing their butts and carrying their water.. Ponder.. Speak sense.. For your own sake.. Not junior league pretender pap like "It's a concept in a model."

It is scary, but heh! They discovered "the God particle" the last time running!

I'm not too concerned because from all that I've read on end times prophesy, some scientific venture doesn't cause Armageddon or is an end time prophesy.....

- massive inflation, A days work for a loaf of bread....

-
food shortages, droughts

-
natural disasters abound... Earthquakes in various places

-
prevented from eating meat somehow....

-wars and rumors of wars

-brother against brother, mother against daughter...

A gazillion other things listed too, and scientists blowing up the world, isn't mentioned....

So, I think it'll be okay!!

:D:D
I was going to mention the God Particle that they have yet to replicate…

That depends, of course.

No idea what you are babbling on about, at this point. Do you even remember?
Funny. Especially after you just babbled some evasive crap about the Standard Model defining its own basis. I know. I know. You simply can't climb down from that high horse. Ever. Shame. Who knows, we might actually have a discussion or something..

You've already shot your load. Quit embarrassing yourself.
“The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence.” - Nikola Tesla
Is a particle "non-physical phenomena"? Try real hard not to dodge or dissemble..

The facts are: CERN's Large Hadron Collider fires up on July 5th after a hiatus of some time. They're going to smash some particles together and watch what happens.

The conspiracies are mostly from Stranger Things fans I guess, a show I never watched (though, as a long time Kate Bush fan, the new interest in her is something else). However, being an amateur space nut, you do wonder if this rips a portal through spacetime.

My response: okay. Things are pretty well screwed here anyway.

What if it creates a black hole on the Earth?

Forum List

Back