Cash for Clunkers didn't work

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
Cash for clunkers didn't help the economy - The Week

Evidence shows that the American Reinvestment and Recovery Act (ARRA) more widely known as the Obama stimulus worked. An analysis from the White House's Council of Economic Advisers found that the stimulus saved or created about 1.6 million jobs a year for four years, through the end of 2012. The ARRA also raised the level of real economic activity by between 2 and 3 percent from late 2009 through mid-2011. And the extra government debt added by the stimulus may have been entirely offset by new economic activity.

But not every aspect of the broader stimulus program worked. The so-called 'cash for clunkers' program — designed to get old, polluting cars off the road, and boost economic activity — didn't help the economy at all, a new analysis finds. The paper 'Cash for Corollas: When Stimulus Reduces Spending' by Mark Hoekstra, Steven L. Puller, and Jeremy West finds that "the increase in [auto] sales during the two month program was completely offset during the following seven to nine months" and that "the program's fuel efficiency restrictions induced households to purchase more fuel efficient but less expensive vehicles, thereby reducing industry revenues by three billion dollars over the entire nine to 11 month period."

Personally, it always looked like a gimmick to me. If people buy new cars now, they won't buy them later

Last edited:
that was the oddest program.....basically lets reward the idiots who got low gas mileage cars......i could not participate as i had the good sense to buy a car with good mileage....and everyone was going on about their payments being 800 bucks for 5 years....omg....did they realize the first 2 years were all interest? cars are personal property that lose value quickly.....i try to buy a 'new to me' car that has lost a lot of value when some one else drove it off the lot

and they crushed all the clunkers which put a hurt on people like me who buy used cars and it nearly destroyed the used car dealers....and here is my question what became of the repo cars......you know when it all went south a lot of those cars went back to the dealer

Evidence shows that the American Reinvestment and Recovery Act (ARRA) more widely known as the Obama stimulus worked. An analysis from the White House's Council of Economic Advisers found that the stimulus saved or created about 1.6 million jobs a year for four years, through the end of 2012. The ARRA also raised the level of real economic activity by between 2 and 3 percent from late 2009 through mid-2011. And the extra government debt added by the stimulus may have been entirely offset by new economic activity.
This should be in the Humor section.

No shit Sherlock. The stimulus didn't work either by the way.

This should be in the Humor section.

Why?

The Stimulus worked better than expected, but it wasn't a magic bullet and was a lot smaller than it should have been.

Some of the programs, like "cash for clunkers" worked less well than expected.

That's what you do when you try something.

You roll out the plan and check the results. Keep what works and toss what doesn't.

o mr h....i try hard....to avoid conservative boards....but guess what.....i hate the liberal boards.....its just rah rah rah they only let go of their own dicks long enough to grab the dick of the next liberal parroting what they say....and it doesnt matter how liberal i am .....i bare the large red G on my forehead....

no not god sillie

gun owner......and its simple....dont even try to discuss it with me....i got them, i like them and hell no i aint registering or anything else...i got no permits...no papertrail and i like it that way....omg they just makes their wee little heads explode....

Pardon me if I'm skeptical about a report coming from the White House evaluating their own stimulus package.

The cost of the ARRA was $831 billion. If their claim that it saved 1.6 million jobs is accurate, then we spent $519,375 saving each job.

Only in the minds of the economic illiterate is such a folly deemed a success.

i never got the point of cash for clunkers and bush's what 300 bucks for each taxpayer? none of that shit works but they just keep rolling it out and we (the people) keep tolerating it....

i do not want to pay for your stupid decisions anymore than i want to pay for church properties....there are a lot of things i do not want to pay for...but that is not the way of common good spending now is it?

Pardon me if I'm skeptical about a report coming from the White House evaluating their own stimulus package.

The cost of the ARRA was $831 billion. If their claim that it saved 1.6 million jobs is accurate, then we spent $519,375 saving each job.

okay i have to ask...riddle me this...why do you have two supporting member ribbons?

paying twice there or what?

okay i have to ask...riddle me this...why do you have two supporting member ribbons?

Hmmm no clue.. That's a head scratcher

Except that the Stimulus package was more than just adding liquidity to starved state coffers. Almost half of it came in the form of tax cuts for the workforce. That extra money helped infuse the economy with activity and helped people pay off their debt.

It was a pretty successful measure and helped mitigate the impact of conservative policies meant to destroy the middle class.

Hmmm no clue.. That's a head scratcher

as are many things on this board.....

only an economic illiterate pays twice for the same service

but the stimulus programs.....if only they had put that money into jobs....somehow...someway....

By all accounts, the Stimulus worked

It did what it was supposed to......stimulate a crashing economy

Too bad it wasn't bigger

Forum List

Back