Carpet baggers, welcome.

The Great Goose

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2015
CANBERRA, Australia — The 116-year-old constitutional ban on dual citizens sitting in Parliament is a problem Australia didn’t know it had until recently, but now it may struggle to fix it.

Seven lawmakers have revealed since July that they might have been citizens of another country when they stood for election last year. They include three ministers in a minor coalition party, The Nationals. The opposition has now dubbed the party “The Multinationals.”

Before the current crisis, only two dual-citizen lawmakers had ever been caught out by the prohibition. Critics say the ban no longer suits modern multicultural Australia, where almost half the population was born overseas or has at least one overseas-born parent.

AP Explains: How ban on dual-citizen lawmakers vexes Aussies

As an American, I am opposed to dual citizenship. Oz would be wise to end the practice, as would we.

Either or, people. No dual allegiances.

If it's a violation of Australia's legal code to hold both dual citizenship and hold public office, then it's against the law. I don't see why it's such a big issue, it's just a few people's problem, after all. They have no business being lawmakers if they don't the law, now do they?

If this is a big issue for Ozzies then bless you, since obviously you don't have enough to do and have no real problems to occupy your days. We're all jealous of you.

If it's a violation of Australia's legal code to hold both dual citizenship and hold public office, then it's against the law. I don't see why it's such a big issue, it's just a few people's problem, after all. They have no business being lawmakers if they don't the law, now do they?

If this is a big issue for Ozzies then bless you, since obviously you don't have enough to do and have no real problems to occupy your days. We're all jealous of you.
I think this kind of complication is everywhere now.

Forum List

Back