Card Collecting?

Canon Shooter

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2020
When I was a kid, I used to spend every penny I had on baseball cards. Mom insisted I was wasting my money and, at some point (I guess when I was around 11 or 12), Mom took those cards and I never saw them again. Among those cards were Hank Aaron, Thurmon Munson, Tom Seaver, Pete Rose, a Nolan Ryan rookie card, etc. All told, by today's collector's prices, the cards in that box probably had a value of around ten grand or so.

Of course, I got over it. We laugh about it now, primarily because the one who threw them away was the person so insistent that they were a waste of money.

Anyway, that's not really the point of this. Last night, a buddy of mine told me of a dealer he found online which sells original, unopened (read: factory sealed) boxes of baseball cards. Depending on the year, a box could cost as little as $15 or as much as $100. He bought two boxes and paid around $35 for each box.

He's been through one of the boxes and, thus far, has about $800 worth of truly collectible cards. Last night he gave me one; a 1987 Tony Gwynn All Star card (Topps #599). It's in absolutely pristine condition:

123103296_10225155182808879_3050003993775790984_n.jpg

Looks like the average price for this card online is around $30. I was fortunate enough to have known Tony, so I would never dream of selling this, and I plan on finding a nice way to display it. But it got me thinking about that hobby from all those years ago. All of my friends collected cards as I did.

Anyone here?

I was more into comic books...but I did buy a few boxes of cards. First year "UPPER DECK" came out (1989 I thunk) I bought a box. They all sold out. The guy at schinders was offering me $100 to buy it back...then $200.

Then the bastards at upper deck printed a whole new set destroying the value. :aargh:

Yes, alas my card collection suffered the same fate as you, the Mom purge. I had about 50 cards stashed that she missed and I have them to this day. They are mostly from the 60s, the best ones are Yaz, Bench and Carew rookie cards.

Somwhere around here I have a baseball autographed by Harmon Killebrew...

I've got half a room full of cards, some in unopened sets. I cleaned out a former card shop owner who was just dumping because he was moving out of state and he wanted it out of his garage. Gave him 2500 for a pickup truck full of cards at his garage sale. Sold 3K worth and kept the rest.

I've got old Mantles, Berras, Koufax and a ton more oldies, and just about anyone you can think of from the 80's-90's

It's been several (~15-20) years since I had it appraised. Then it was 25K.

No idea now....

I've got half a room full of cards, some in unopened sets. I cleaned out a former card shop owner who was just dumping because he was moving out of state and he wanted it out of his garage. Gave him 2500 for a pickup truck full of cards at his garage sale. Sold 3K worth and kept the rest.

I've got old Mantles, Berras, Koufax and a ton more oldies, and just about anyone you can think of from the 80's-90's

It's been several (~15-20) years since I had it appraised. Then it was 25K.

No idea now....
Nice!

Had the same type of mom. Except I seen an ad that was looking to buy sports cards and comic books. I got a ride there and was hoping to get maybe 20:00$ for the whole box instead I got close to 300:00$ cash. Thats in 1971 year dollars. My mom accused me of dealing drugs and slapped me around before I showed her the recipt. To the day she died I dont think she ever did belive me.The man I sold them to according to my uncle put them up for auction and got just less the 700;00$ for the whole thing.

When I was a kid, I used to spend every penny I had on baseball cards. Mom insisted I was wasting my money and, at some point (I guess when I was around 11 or 12), Mom took those cards and I never saw them again. Among those cards were Hank Aaron, Thurmon Munson, Tom Seaver, Pete Rose, a Nolan Ryan rookie card, etc. All told, by today's collector's prices, the cards in that box probably had a value of around ten grand or so.

Of course, I got over it. We laugh about it now, primarily because the one who threw them away was the person so insistent that they were a waste of money.

Anyway, that's not really the point of this. Last night, a buddy of mine told me of a dealer he found online which sells original, unopened (read: factory sealed) boxes of baseball cards. Depending on the year, a box could cost as little as $15 or as much as $100. He bought two boxes and paid around $35 for each box.

He's been through one of the boxes and, thus far, has about $800 worth of truly collectible cards. Last night he gave me one; a 1987 Tony Gwynn All Star card (Topps #599). It's in absolutely pristine condition:

View attachment 407891

Looks like the average price for this card online is around $30. I was fortunate enough to have known Tony, so I would never dream of selling this, and I plan on finding a nice way to display it. But it got me thinking about that hobby from all those years ago. All of my friends collected cards as I did.

Anyone here?

My brother born 63 had a collection I blew up and my younger brother born 71 added more.

I was big into non-topps cards from bread, snacks, or wherever.

My dad grabbed them when we had stored them away during a divorce and gave them to my step brother.

Forum List

Back