Caprica

Xenophon

Gone and forgotten
Nov 27, 2008
In your head
Anyone else watching this prequel to Battlestar Galatica?

I have been following it through the first 8 parts, set 58 years before the fall of humanity, it tells the story of how the Cylons were created and teh events that shaped the 12 colonies before they were destoryed, it even features Admiral Adama as a young boy, and shows his family was Tauron, sort like the scillian Mafia.

Another ongoing theme in the show is the rise of polytheism as a violent terrorist cult to oppose the worship of the gods that most of the 12 colonies follow.

These 'soldiers of the one are mainly kids who blow up things and kill people in the name of one devine morality (and it explains how the Cylons were polytheists, as the prototype cylon in Caprica has teh memories and personality of its designer's daughter, a member of the soldiers of the one who is killed in the first episode).

The show is quite compelling and Eric Stoltz is great as always in it.

If you want to read up it, check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caprica_(TV_series)

caprica1.jpg

I'm waiting for the DVDs for season 1 to come out which will probably be this Fall. I watched the Caprica movie and was a major BSG fan. I work with a bunch of geeks who tell me it's great, so I hope I don't have to wait too long. I consider BSG to be the best SciFi series ever, so I'm really looking forward to watching Caprica. I pray to the gods of Kobol that the Cylons don't declare war on the human race before I get to see it.

They have it 'on demand' on my cable system, so I got to watch a bunch of them at once.

Its very different from Galatica, its a society similar to ours but more advanced and more jaded, about to be ripped apart, mostly because of Zoe Graystone and her father trying to recreate her through technology after she is killed in a terrorist attack.

CapricaKeyArt-thumb-550x753-28381.jpg

Getting near the end of the first year now, just one episode to go.

Bad thing about the syfy channel, they only buy about 10 episodes of a show and they make you wait a long time for more.

In many ways, this show has a strong touch of the matrix as there are holographic worlds people lose themselves in.

Is it any better than the last Galactica spin-off?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbweBDnViyA]YouTube - Galactica 1980 in three minutes[/ame]

The first galactica wasn't better then the first spinoff.

A real question would be could a show be worse then galactica 1980.

Watched the last episode for now, things are taking shape.

It appears the cylon prototype (which has the mind of a 16 year old girl) will be captured by the military and be mass produced, and we all know where that is going...

The first 10 episodes of this have proven to be very well done, sci fi fans should check it out, its worth seeing.

YOU NAILED IT -- Caprica is fantastic. I recently watched (some of it I had seen, but never all, and never in order) all 7 episodes of Deep Space Nine, and my love for science fiction, TV and books, was reborn. Ronald D. Moore was one of the main guys on DS9 and when I found out he was involved with BG, I started in on that show. I am waiting for the rest of the seasons of that from my local library -- waiting list (ugh). THEN I discovered he was the co-creator of Caprica, so I dvr'd the marathon and season finale. It's fantastic. Eric Stoltz is great, yes, but I really love Esai Morales -- haven't seen him since NYPD Blue! The entire cast is doing a wonderful job -- Polly Walker from HBO's Rome is another favorite of mine.

I read your post and just had to comment. You've got a bit mixed up -- the 12 worlds, including Caprica, are POLYTHEISTS (meaning many gods) surely you've noticed how they say "Gods!!". The Soldiers of the One, your violent terrorist cult, are involved with the worship of ONE god, other characters refer to as a "moral dictator" -- which represents MONOTHEISM -- the worship of one god. Also, if Zoe is indeed the forerunner of the Cylons, they too should be monotheists, worshippers of one god, as she was a committed member of the cult. Her golden infinity symbol, representing that very thing, was returned to her mother on one episode. I haven't seen enough of BG yet to know what the case is on that one.

Since our society is generally monotheistic, I think the writers use of the turnaround is a brilliant move. Same goes for their treatment of other issues such as racism, with so many Capricans hatin' on the Taurons, saying they "eat dirt" and so forth.

I'd also like to mention the man who plays Joseph Adama's brother Sam -- he's fantastic. Even there, the writers are touching on more current societal points of interest -- a same sex relationship. Oh, and Sister Clarice is in a -- what did they call it -- multiple marriage? Wild. It's all kind of flipped around, and I love the social commentary.

But beside and beyond all of that, its one of the best new shows I've seen in years. So far everything Ronald D. Moore has had his hand in has been fantastic in my book -- I noticed recently he was also on staff at Star Trek: The Next Generation. His creativity is incredible. Can't wait to see more BG, and can't wait for the next season of Caprica.

Nice to find some interest out there - this is the first time I've ever signed up for a board --

All my best to you!

Yes, I had the religion thing correct in my mind, I for some reason TWICE wrote Polytheism where it should be 'monotheism', that was weird. :)

Oh, and I think you mean 7 SEASONS of Deep Space nine, there are over 120 episodes of that, I have it on DVD.

Last edited:
OH MY GOODNESS I feel ridiculous -- yes of course you are right, I did mean 7 seasons -- and how I envy you! I have just the first season on dvd. Got the rest from the library -- it took forever and they kept getting them for me out of order, but finally got them all watched -- and much enjoyed. Really love the extras and nearly missed the "hidden files" at first. Tell me, do you like to read SF? The only way I could think to continue DS9 after the sadness of the end was to check out the books. There are many authors that have worked on it, and, like anything else, some are better than others. Just in case, the ones I have liked best so far are all by the same writer, S.D. Perry, and the names were RISING SON (featuring Jake), UNITY (everybody, and some great new characters) UNITY, and AVATAR: BOOK ONE which I have just started. I was hoping to find some by Peter David, who was my favorite Trek writer from way back.

Anyway -- I realized after re-reading your original post that the only thing you mixed up were the terms, not their meanings. I had already posted by then. I knew just what you meant.

Like I said, so great to see some interest out there in this amazingly creative and well-done series. I am just watching the last few episodes now -- at the peril of missing my schoolwork and other responsibilities! I've just gotta see how it all plays out.

Do you know if there will be a second season, and when? I truly hope so.

Oh just for fun -- the guy who played Martok wrote, or co-wrote I think -- a couple of DS9 novels that are supposed to be good as well. J.G. Hertzler I believe is his name. Also the guy who played Garak wrote one! You know who I think was great -- the guy who played Weyoun (and several other excellent roles). Thought I spotted him in a great movie production of Henry V the other day, but I was mistaken.

Let me know what you know, ok? Also, have you seen this STARGATE UNIVERSE? It premieres -- 2nd season maybe? -- tomorrow night, and I wondered if it was worth checking out.

all my best, cj

Wow! I was . . . in junior high I think . . . I have a VERY vague memory of this, and, after watching this vid, I gotta say I'm glad its vague.

Thanks for sharing -- very amusing --

best to you

A lot to answer, so I will take it a bit at a time.

OH MY GOODNESS I feel ridiculous -- yes of course you are right, I did mean 7 seasons -- and how I envy you! I have just the first season on dvd. Got the rest from the library -- it took forever and they kept getting them for me out of order, but finally got them all watched -- and much enjoyed. Really love the extras and nearly missed the "hidden files" at first. Tell me, do you like to read SF?
I don't hve the chance to read it as much as I once did, but I can still read a trek novel with the TOS cast and lose myself in it for a few hours.

The only way I could think to continue DS9 after the sadness of the end was to check out the books. There are many authors that have worked on it, and, like anything else, some are better than others. Just in case, the ones I have liked best so far are all by the same writer, S.D. Perry, and the names were RISING SON (featuring Jake), UNITY (everybody, and some great new characters) UNITY, and AVATAR: BOOK ONE which I have just started. I was hoping to find some by Peter David, who was my favorite Trek writer from way back.
peter David started in comic books btw, I like his stuff also.

Anyway -- I realized after re-reading your original post that the only thing you mixed up were the terms, not their meanings. I had already posted by then. I knew just what you meant.
A silly mistake to make, and it won't let me edit the first post of a thread.

Like I said, so great to see some interest out there in this amazingly creative and well-done series. I am just watching the last few episodes now -- at the peril of missing my schoolwork and other responsibilities! I've just gotta see how it all plays out.

Do you know if there will be a second season, and when? I truly hope so.
Sy fy already picked it up for at least 10 more episodes.

As for when, who knows, they will probaly wait 6 months like they did with battlestar galactica.

Oh just for fun -- the guy who played Martok wrote, or co-wrote I think -- a couple of DS9 novels that are supposed to be good as well. J.G. Hertzler I believe is his name. Also the guy who played Garak wrote one! You know who I think was great -- the guy who played Weyoun (and several other excellent roles). Thought I spotted him in a great movie production of Henry V the other day, but I was mistaken.
Garak was played by Andrew Robinson, who interestingly was the first bad guy in the dirty harry film series.

Weyoun was played by Jeffrey Combs, who had a number of alein characters, including Qark's nemises from the FCA, liquidator brunt as well as an Andorian on the show 'Enterprise.' He also started in the cult sci fi classic 'reanimator' as Dr Herbet West.

know what you know, ok? Also, have you seen this STARGATE UNIVERSE? It premieres -- 2nd season maybe? -- tomorrow night, and I wondered if it was worth checking out.

all my best, cj
Haven't seen the stargate stuff, even though its been around for years.

Anyone else watching this prequel to Battlestar Galatica?

I have been following it through the first 8 parts, set 58 years before the fall of humanity, it tells the story of how the Cylons were created and teh events that shaped the 12 colonies before they were destoryed, it even features Admiral Adama as a young boy, and shows his family was Tauron, sort like the scillian Mafia.

Another ongoing theme in the show is the rise of polytheism as a violent terrorist cult to oppose the worship of the gods that most of the 12 colonies follow.

These 'soldiers of the one are mainly kids who blow up things and kill people in the name of one devine morality (and it explains how the Cylons were polytheists, as the prototype cylon in Caprica has teh memories and personality of its designer's daughter, a member of the soldiers of the one who is killed in the first episode).

The show is quite compelling and Eric Stoltz is great as always in it.

If you want to read up it, check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caprica_(TV_series)

caprica1.jpg

No.

Thanks I had not realized Combs played a role on Enterprise. That's the one Star Trek series I haven't really been able to get into. I've been dvr-ing some episodes lately, in the hopes of finding some good ones that will make me like it more.

Since I was on here last I read S.D. Perry's DS9 novels UNITY and RISING SON (about Jake) both very good. Then comes AVATAR book one and two -- book one great -- haven't been able to locate book 2 yet. Also our buddy Peter David wrote THE SIEGE after watching just 5 episodes of DS9 when it first came out. Despite his limited knowledge of the characters, it was pretty cool -- a very quick read.

I have nearly finished with my library dvd's of Battlestar -- what a fantastic show. I hate that it will end. I am on the last 2 episodes of season 4, waiting for season 4.5 from my beloved library. Also still have RAZOR to watch. I adore Edward James Olmos and Katee Sackhoff (sp?) actually everyone is good, but the Admiral and Starbuck are my favorite characters. The only character who hasn't disappointed me one time or another though is Helo (Captain Agathon -- sp?) he is awesome, very dedicated to his beliefs.

Do you know who played Baltar's attorney, and later Lee's advisor? He's fabulous.

Thanks for all the info. So nice to talk with a knowledgable fan. We are in short supply where I live.

best, cj

I'm loving the show. Great tidbits for fans of BSG, but it stands on its own enough for newcomers.

One thing Caprica manages which I've never seen in a prequel is to actually make the world seem less advanced. The only sign of superior technology in Caprica is the holoband, and there's established continuity in BSG to explain why such devices wouldn't exist after the first cylon war (which i really hope we'll get to see).

I'm not a huge fan of all the characters though. Lacy is really bland as is Sister Catherine or whatever her name is. The Graystones are fairly interesting, and I love the Baxter Sarno character, as rarely featured as he is. The Adamas are the biggest draw for me. Who would have thought that the heroic lawyer father William talks about with Lee was in fact a mob lawyer!

New Topics

Forum List

Back