Canada Ends Emergencies Act

martybegan

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2010
Just a few days after getting the Legislature to extend it, Trudeau is suddenly cancelling it.

Trudeau revokes Emergencies Act, saying existing laws are enough to deal with protesters

"Today, after careful consideration, we're ready to confirm that the situation is no longer an emergency. Therefore, the federal government will be ending the use of the Emergencies Act," said Prime Minister Justin Trudeau at a news conference in Ottawa on Wednesday.

I wonder what caused this sudden reversal? Bad polls? The fact the Canadian Senate was debating this and it wasn't going well? Banks telling the government people were pulling their money out of accounts?

Just a few days after getting the Legislature to extend it, Trudeau is suddenly cancelling it.

Trudeau revokes Emergencies Act, saying existing laws are enough to deal with protesters

I wonder what caused this sudden reversal? Bad polls? The fact the Canadian Senate was debating this and it wasn't going well? Banks telling the government people were pulling their money out of accounts?
How many locked down trucks surrounding the capital or blocking the international bridge. Breaking the siege by truck was the goal. It is done.

How many locked down trucks surrounding the capital or blocking the international bridge. Breaking the siege by truck was the goal. It is done.

Lol "siege"

Then why did he get Parliament to extend it by 30 days just a few days ago?

Lol "siege"

Then why did he get Parliament to extend it by 30 days just a few days ago?
Some kind of deadline on length of time of the original emergency powers was coming up, and covering bases?

Some kind of deadline on length of time of the original emergency powers was coming up, and covering bases?

Now you are making excuses for Trudeau.

Any tinpot wanna be dictator in a storm, right?

Now you are making excuses for Trudeau.

Any tinpot wanna be dictator in a storm, right?
Not making excuses. Just saying that's probably how it worked. Would you believe, there are people on this very board that wanted the emergency powers act dropped, but when it was, used that as something to attack on? You got to pick your goals. Did you want them dropped or not? I, for one, am glad they are dropped. Jailed truckers there can use their bank accounts to get out of jail and get to their trucks. Are you really sorry it's over?

Not making excuses. Just saying that's probably how it worked. Would you believe, there are people on this very board that wanted the emergency powers act dropped, but when it was, used that as something to attack on? You got to pick your goals. Did you want them dropped or not? I, for one, am glad they are dropped. Jailed truckers there can use their bank accounts to get out of jail and get to their trucks. Are you really sorry it's over?

I'm sorry he used a wartime law for a peaceful civil disobedience protest in the first place.

Unlike you I'm not a fan of authoritarian government.

I'm sorry he used a wartime law for a peaceful civil disobedience protest in the first place.

Unlike you I'm not a fan of authoritarian government.
Sure, I hate he found it necessary. He could have just caved to the truckers shutting down the country, but the truckers were not the government. It is not like he was the Mayor of Portland, OR. I don't think he seriously considered letting them be allowed to set up a no government, exclusionary zone area around Ottawa and keep control of the highways. Two weeks was way more than necessary to allow a civil protest, taking control of the country and effecting ours, also.

Sure, I hate he found it necessary. He could have just caved to the truckers shutting down the country, but the truckers were not the government. It is not like he was the Mayor of Portland, OR. I don't think he seriously considered letting them be allowed to set up a no government, exclusionary zone area around Ottawa and keep control of the highways. Two weeks was way more than necessary to allow a civil protest, taking control of the country and effecting ours, also.

He could have talked to them at the start, instead he called them Nazis, and ran to hide.

Government officials and officers walked freely amongst the protesters for weeks, and were not harmed.

He could have talked to them at the start, instead he called them Nazis, and ran to hide.

Government officials and officers walked freely amongst the protesters for weeks, and were not harmed.
The topic of the thread is ending the emergency powers act, not the beginning of it. Any chance you could stay on topic?

The topic of the thread is ending the emergency powers act, not the beginning of it. Any chance you could stay on topic?

It's all part of the same issue. Trudeau fanned the flames so to speak by not even acknowledging their grievances, and then doubled down in parliament calling a Jewish Conservative member a Nazi sympathizer for supporting the truckers.

Since he was so all in before, what made him drop the act days after he got a 30 day extension on it?

The Sears Catalog Model PM could have done the same by pulling truckers from their cabs and throwing them and everyone else, like children and families inside, in jail too.

Or he could have destroyed the trucks with explosives and hauled them all off to the junk yard.

You seem to think solving this problem like authoritarian Chinese generals makes these problems go away.

We see now that Canada was horrified by Trudeau's heavy handed dictatorial way of "solving" things
and he was soundly condemned, and the law he used as a cudgel was revoked.

The Freedom Truckers prove that civil disobedience in a noble cause is a proven tactic that works in
Western democracies by making authoritarian leaders, like Trudeau, show their true colors.
Trudeau has been repudiated and so have heavy handed fans of the billy club and extremist measures
like you and the usual troglodytes here online.

Last edited:
It's all part of the same issue. Trudeau fanned the flames so to speak by not even acknowledging their grievances, and then doubled down in parliament calling a Jewish Conservative member a Nazi sympathizer for supporting the truckers.

Since he was so all in before, what made him drop the act days after he got a 30 day extension on it?
Already answered. The trucks were no longer blocking in the Capital. Why are you not glad it is over. I am.

The Sears Catalog Model PM could have done the same by pulling truckers from their cabs and throwing them and everyone else, like children and families inside, in jail too.

Or he could have destroyed the trucks with explosives and hauled them all off to the junk yard.

You seem to think solving this problem like authoritarian Chinese generals makes these problems go away.

We see now that Canada was horrified by Trudeau's heavy handed dictatorial way of "solving" things
and was soundly condemned.

The Freedom Truckers prove that civil disobedience in a noble cause is a proven tactic that works in
Western democracies by making authoritarian leaders, like Trudeau, show their true colors.
Trudeau has been repudiated and so have heavy handed fans of the billy club and extremist measures
like you and the usual troglodytes here online.
But he didn't throw children and families of the protestors in jail, did he? He didn't use explosives, cause massive destruction of private property, did he?
In China or Russia, he might have done both of those things.
We have always known civil disturbance and disobedience up to a point was a noble thing. We say nothing new here.
You never heard me support use of billy clubs on anybody in this event.

Trudeau won. There ws no further need for it.
The same way Freedom Marchers in Selma, Alabama won when many were beaten and sent to jail?

Jim Crow was ended as a result of their civil disobedience just like the end of Trudeau's blatant misuse
of the Canadian Emergencies Act.

Nations were horrified by what they saw in the respective responses to civil disobedience and laws
were amended and changed.

But you seem too stupid to realize it. No one familiar with your work is surprised.

Forum List

Back