Can we •PLEASE• do away with this feature←←←←←←←bug?

Bob Blaylock

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2015
38°29′ North 121°26′ West
There is not any circumstance that I can think of, under which I would ever want a page of this type to “refresh” while I am reading it or working my way through it, nor can I comprehend the level of devastating, drug-induced brain damage that it would take to think that this is a good idea.

I can temporarily disable it, by clicking on the icon circled here in green, but it always eventually turns on again.

Is there anyway, on your end, that this feature bug can be completely and permanently disabled?

1588566356936.png

And while you're at it, any hope of ever getting Tapatalk support enabled again, or anything else to again make this forum usable from mobile devices?

There is not any circumstance that I can think of, under which I would ever want a page of this type to “refresh” while I am reading it or working my way through it, nor can I comprehend the level of devastating, drug-induced brain damage that it would take to think that this is a good idea.

I can temporarily disable it, by clicking on the icon circled here in green, but it always eventually turns on again.

Is there anyway, on your end, that this feature bug can be completely and permanently disabled?

View attachment 331709

And while you're at it, any hope of ever getting Tapatalk support enabled again, or anything else to again make this forum usable from mobile devices?

Its NOT a Bug, it is a way to slow down page changes, which is helpful to the server in high traffic forums.

You would know this on the Admin board, where it shows the traffic load the server is handling in real time.

It is usually part of controlling requests from flooding the servers. Thread and comment postings have priority over less important pages, it has been in use for a long time.

By the way I hardly ever use Whats new, because I follow only a few sections of the board by habit.

Last edited:
  • Banned
Its NOT a Bug, it is a way to slow down page changes, which is helpful to the server in high traffic forums.

You would know this on the Admin board, where it shows the traffic load the server is handling in real time.

It is usually part of controlling requests from flooding the servers. Thread and comment postings have priority over less important pages, it has been in use for a long time.

That sounds, to me, like solid digestive waste from a male bovine.

Have you ever been owner/Administrator of forums?

You think it is a BUG, but it is actually a flood control method, imagine if a whole bunch of people were to refresh a long page at about the same time in high traffic forums, the server could slow way down or even crash. It was a problem in the early days, which is why they now include some flood control into the software to prevent it.

Bob, I can see you are unhappy with my replies, but you don't bother to explain why.

I was trying to be helpful with you about it, but don't seem to want it, therefore I will leave your future complaints about this Forums software alone.

Cheers.

You think it is a BUG, but it is actually a flood control method, imagine if a whole bunch of people were to refresh a long page at about the same time in high traffic forums, the server could slow way down or even crash. It was a problem in the early days, which is why they now include some flood control into the software to prevent it.
Yeah, except that this isn't a high traffic forum anymore....Prolly should be renamed "usmessagebored".

And I agree with OP....The refresh feature is as annoying as hell.

View attachment 331709

Dammit Bob! I hadn't noticed that until you brought it up! Now I got something else to be mad about!

See the blue circle with the white square? Kind of looks like the stop button on a VCR or a cassette recorder? Move your cursor over it, then click it... If you hover over it, it will even say, "Stop Auto Refresh."

Yes. I know about that. But after a short while—hours, days, maybe as much as a week, it spontaneously turns back on again.

I want this feature bug to be turned off, permanently. OI do not ever, under any corcumstances, want that page to start “refreshing” while I am trying to work through it.

Only an irredeemable idiot, with a negative IQ, could possibly think that there is any rational reason for this feature bug to intentionally exist in the first place.

See the blue circle with the white square? Kind of looks like the stop button on a VCR or a cassette recorder? Move your cursor over it, then click it... If you hover over it, it will even say, "Stop Auto Refresh."

Yes. I know about that. But after a short while—hours, days, maybe as much as a week, it spontaneously turns back on again.

I want this feature bug to be turned off, permanently. OI do not ever, under any corcumstances, want that page to start “refreshing” while I am trying to work through it.

Only an irredeemable idiot, with a negative IQ, could possibly think that there is any rational reason for this feature bug to intentionally exist in the first place.

I don't know what to tell you, chief. I turned mine off and it has never turned back on.

Now, go ahead and click dislike you petty little shit.

View attachment 331709

OK -- Best "official" reply available is -- It's a FEATURE -- not a bug..

There are AT least 3 ways of seeing "what's active" on USMB..

A) there's the "new posts" section on the rt hand side of every page that is ACTUALLY "NEW THREADS"... Tried to get Admin to change that title.. It got changed and changed back..

B) We also have the "Active Topics" button in one of the horizontal black bars.

C) Then we have the 2nd "New Posts" button (because of the blown naming I mentioned above) which is the one that has folks complaining about "refreshing"...

This problem ONLY affects folk that are SITTING on the New Posts page for long periods of time. So you find something -- go spend 20 minutes in THAT thread and want to come back to that tab and see EXACTLY what you saw before...

You can't,.. It's a feature. You can do that with the ACTIVE THREADS page.. And to some extent with the "New Threads" section if you STORE IT in new browser tab -- but apparently "disabling" refresh of that page only works to freeze it until you refresh it manually again.. Or something like that..

Try using Active Threads" if you want a static copy of post activity.. Or tell me how the refresh is screwing your decision where to post next...

Yeah, except that this isn't a high traffic forum anymore....Prolly should be renamed "usmessagebored".

And I agree with OP....The refresh feature is as annoying as hell.
It's dying an unmercifully death

The entire concept is outdated and pales to advanced means of online communication.

I visit sites with a TON more traffic than this one and I have never had to deal with that.

I visit sites with a TON more traffic than this one and I have never had to deal with that.

I use software that doesn't show it either, but it is there in the core. Flacaltenn, describes it as a feature, one they shouldn't have it be visible at all.

This is Xenforo forum software, a decided step down in quality from the old vBULLETIN software they created many year ago, where this "feature" was never there.

View attachment 331709

OK -- Best "official" reply available is -- It's a FEATURE -- not a bug..

There are AT least 3 ways of seeing "what's active" on USMB..

A) there's the "new posts" section on the rt hand side of every page that is ACTUALLY "NEW THREADS"... Tried to get Admin to change that title.. It got changed and changed back..

B) We also have the "Active Topics" button in one of the horizontal black bars.

C) Then we have the 2nd "New Posts" button (because of the blown naming I mentioned above) which is the one that has folks complaining about "refreshing"...

This problem ONLY affects folk that are SITTING on the New Posts page for long periods of time. So you find something -- go spend 20 minutes in THAT thread and want to come back to that tab and see EXACTLY what you saw before...

You can't,.. It's a feature. You can do that with the ACTIVE THREADS page.. And to some extent with the "New Threads" section if you STORE IT in new browser tab -- but apparently "disabling" refresh of that page only works to freeze it until you refresh it manually again.. Or something like that..

Try using Active Threads" if you want a static copy of post activity.. Or tell me how the refresh is screwing your decision where to post next...

Some time, not long after this thread previously ended, the bug in questioned stopped being a problem. I clicked the button to stop it, and it stayed stopped for almost three years.

Some time, within the past week or two, this bug has reemerged. The idiotic behavior of that page refreshing itself turned back, and at least two or three times, now, I've turned it off, only to have it turn itself back on again.

I have a faster computer, now, than I had then, and a faster Internet service, so the impact isn't as bad now as it was, back then, but it is still annoying as shit when it happens, and there is still no good reason for this behavior to exist.

This behavior is as damn stupid now as it was three years ago.

Last edited:

You're welcome.
One would figure that someone so bothered by this (and I struggle to see why someone would be) would spend an extra 2-4 seconds to just turn it off. It's like being bothered by a commercial when the television remote is in your hand.

Forum List

Back