Can anyone explain to me in simple terms, what formula they use for house seats/ State EC votes?

Wyomingduck

Rookie
Sep 3, 2022
With the 2020 census, California, Illinois, New York lost house seats, States like Texas, North Carolina won house seats

My question is what formula do they use in simple term?

California had 55 EC votes

2 for State rights

53 for peoples rights/ House seats

After the 2020 census California only gets 54 EC Votes

2 for states rights

52 for peoples rights

So what formula do they use?

California has a population of around 40 million, with around 2 million illegals (That's counted, )

How many House seats would California have if the didn't count the illegals, and only the 38 million legal citizens?

1664629999329.png

Attachments

• 1664629893187.png
    1664629893187.png
    141.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Distribution of Electoral Votes

Allocation among the States

Electoral votes are allocated among the States based on the Census. Every State is allocated a number of votes equal to the number of senators and representatives in its U.S. Congressional delegation—two votes for its senators in the U.S. Senate plus a number of votes equal to the number of its Congressional districts.

Under the 23rd Amendment of the Constitution, the District of Columbia is allocated three electors and treated like a State for purposes of the Electoral College.

Each State (which includes the District of Columbia for this discussion) decides how to appoint its electors. Currently all States use the popular vote results from the November general election to decide which political party chooses the individuals who are appointed.

Allocation within each State

All States, except for Maine and Nebraska have a winner-take-all policy where the State looks only at the overall winner of the state-wide popular vote. Maine and Nebraska, however, appoint individual electors based on the winner of the popular vote for each Congressional district and then 2 electors based on the winner of the overall state-wide popular vote.

Even though Maine and Nebraska don't use a winner-take-all system, it is rare for either State to have a split vote. Each has done so once: Nebraska in 2008 and Maine in 2016.

Current allocations

The allocations below are based on the 2010 Census. They are effective for the 2012, 2016, and 2020 presidential elections.

Distribution of Electoral Votes

Allocation among the States

Electoral votes are allocated among the States based on the Census. Every State is allocated a number of votes equal to the number of senators and representatives in its U.S. Congressional delegation—two votes for its senators in the U.S. Senate plus a number of votes equal to the number of its Congressional districts.

Under the 23rd Amendment of the Constitution, the District of Columbia is allocated three electors and treated like a State for purposes of the Electoral College.

Each State (which includes the District of Columbia for this discussion) decides how to appoint its electors. Currently all States use the popular vote results from the November general election to decide which political party chooses the individuals who are appointed.

Allocation within each State

All States, except for Maine and Nebraska have a winner-take-all policy where the State looks only at the overall winner of the state-wide popular vote. Maine and Nebraska, however, appoint individual electors based on the winner of the popular vote for each Congressional district and then 2 electors based on the winner of the overall state-wide popular vote.

Even though Maine and Nebraska don't use a winner-take-all system, it is rare for either State to have a split vote. Each has done so once: Nebraska in 2008 and Maine in 2016.

Current allocations

The allocations below are based on the 2010 Census. They are effective for the 2012, 2016, and 2020 presidential elections.

No kidding

I want to know in simple math terms what's the formula?

435 house seats max divided up by 50, then what do they use per states population?

No kidding

435 house seats max divided up by 50, then what do they use per states population?
How many ECs would Texas and AZ lose if illegals weren't counted?

No kidding

Its just not that simple.

Every state, no matter how small its population is gets a minimum of 1 seat in Congress.

There are no "fractional" seats in any state. They can get one seat or 2 or 3.

But never 2 1/2.

And the number of seats is limited to 435

With the 2020 census, California, Illinois, New York lost house seats, States like Texas, North Carolina won house seats

My question is what formula do they use in simple term?

California had 55 EC votes

2 for State rights

53 for peoples rights/ House seats

After the 2020 census California only gets 54 EC Votes

2 for states rights

52 for peoples rights

So what formula do they use?

California has a population of around 40 million, with around 2 million illegals (That's counted, )

How many House seats would California have if the didn't count the illegals, and only the 38 million legal citizens?

View attachment 704007
There are 435 seats in the US House. Take the overall population of the US divide it by 435 and you have the size of e district. Of course states like Delaware get 1 at large. Example if a district by the division I stated is 750,000 and a state has the population of 1.5 million they would get 2 house seats. That is a bit over simplified but accurate.

No kidding

The intuitive method of apportionment is to divide the United States population by 435 to obtain an average number of persons represented by a member of the House. This is sometimes called the ideal size congressional district. Then a state’s population is divided by the ideal size to determine the number of Representatives to be allocated to that state. The quotient will be a whole number plus a remainder—say 14.489326. What is Congress to do with the 0.489326 fractional entitlement? Does the state get 14 or 15 seats in the House? Does one discard the fractional entitlement? Does one round up at the arithmetic mean of the two whole numbers? At the geometric mean? At the harmonic mean? Congress has used, or at least considered, several methods over the years.

Every method Congress has used or considered has its advantages and disadvantages, and none has been exempt from criticism. Under current law, however, seats are apportioned using the equal proportions method, which is not without its critics. Some charge that the equal proportions method is biased toward small states. They urge Congress to adopt either the major fractions or the Hamilton-Vinton method as more equitable alternatives. A strong mathematical case can be made for either equal proportions or major fractions. Deciding between them is a policy matter based on whether minimizing the differences in district sizes in absolute terms (through major fractions) or proportional terms (through equal proportions) is most preferred by Congress.

eagle7-31
That's the same figure I always get, right around one house seat is 700,000 people, unless its a state with the minimum 3 E.Cs
then its a little lower from one house seat equals 500,000 to 600,000 people

I always assumed their had to be a formula, (but I have yet to find it on my weak attempts to try) because say in the 1970s the US Population was around 200 million. and the last time the the 435 number was changed was around 1913 (Us population 100 million?)

just for arguments sake, if today its 700,000 per house seat, California should only have 50 EC votes in 2024 election, instead of 54. (Was 55 2020) because once again why is 2 million illegal's counted?????????

eagle7-31
That's the same figure I always get, right around one house seat is 700,000 people, unless its a state with the minimum 3 E.Cs
then its a little lower from one house seat equals 500,000 to 600,000 people

I always assumed their had to be a formula, (but I have yet to find it on my weak attempts to try) because say in the 1970s the US Population was around 200 million. and the last time the the 435 number was changed was around 1913 (Us population 100 million?)

just for arguments sake, if today its 700,000 per house seat, California should only have 50 EC votes in 2024 election, instead of 54. (Was 55 2020) because once again why is 2 million illegal's counted?????????
that you will have to ask the Census bureau. They have official population figures and breakdowns. Illegals should NOT be counted but I have no idea at this time if that is the case or not.

that you will have to ask the Census bureau. They have official population figures and breakdowns. Illegals should NOT be counted but I have no idea at this time if that is the case or not.

According to the Constitution everyone is counted.

If you do not agree with that, change the Constitution

Because the constitution specifies it's based on the count (census) of the people in the US, not the citizens of the US.

It's no different then when Mississippi nearly doubled their representation, because they could count 3/5ths of the non-citizens among them.

If you don't want to count illegals, you have to amend the Constitution.

That shouldn't be too hard.

Illegals and children are counted for the census, and this is used for redistricting, where only adult citizens can vote.

I don't think that's the way I would do it, but I guess the theory is that the representatives each represent a similar number of people.

It's debatable if it's Constitutional to do it this way, but that is how it is done. The counting of illegals for the 2020 census was adjudicated.

Golfing Gator
Uhm No,

The constitution doesn't say so, we have laws against people entering this country illegally, try me some more And I will do an hour Special report on all your ignorant dumb ass comments on My Chicago Blue Collar Network and make you a star

Because the constitution specifies it's based on the count (census) of the people in the US, not the citizens of the US.

It's no different then when Mississippi nearly doubled their representation, because they could count 3/5ths of the non-citizens among them.

Oh please, so you let the illegals in with open borders and then want to count them?

that's called rigging the game and weaponizing the Constitution AGAINST US.

Forum List

Back