Buy a tiny bit of gold FIRST

I have a small amount of gold and silver just for that purpose. However, in recent years I think I found something worth investing in, something that will always be fungible, easy to barter with.
Name brand alcohol. I have several cases in safe storage. If the shit hits, all I need is a crap table and some desperate women and I'm in business!
Lol
Seriously, someone will always want whiskey, or vodka, or scotch or rum ect....

Yes, though the problem is some things might stop being worth something. Everything is a risk. Diamonds.... they're creating fake diamonds now, and we can go to space and maybe mine diamonds... both could, potentially, crash the market. Same with gold, same with whiskey.

Name brand alcohol. I have several cases in safe storage.
Not a bad idea!

I read a guys journal from argentina when the economy collapsed. He was doing quite well with any type of fuel (he had a can of lighter fluid).

People would trade him a can of spam or tuna for 1 fill of their zippo.

Yes, it does. It's not a simple case of "gold will be worth this much"....

It's changed -3% in the last 30 days
-6.55% in the last 6 months.
+11.5% in the last year
+546% in the last 23 years.

Obviously the dollar has fluctuated in this time too.

The dollar is up $0.01 against the Euro for the last 30 days
Up $0.02 against Euro for the last 6 months
Down about $0.1 against the Euro in the last year.

Though there was a huge fluctuation last summer, went from $0.81 to $1.04 from January to end of September last year. That's a 28% increase, much higher than gold.

And that's against the Euro. Inflation has impacted most western countries.

Inflation going up 9.1% in a month, your gold isn't going to inflate that much, it's going to keep its value compared to inflation, rather than compared to the dollar (which inflated).

In August 2022 your gold went for $1,747 per ounce
In August 2023 your gold went for $1,897 per ounce

In August 2023 your $1,747 per ounce from 2022 went for $1,811

So, one ounce of gold bought in August 2022 would have earned you $86 compared to inflation, you could buy yourself a toy Ferrari with that.
A radio controlled toy Ferrari? Wish I would've done that. Seriously, I agree with what your saying.

Yes, though the problem is some things might stop being worth something. Everything is a risk. Diamonds.... they're creating fake diamonds now, and we can go to space and maybe mine diamonds... both could, potentially, crash the market. Same with gold, same with whiskey.
I cannot imagine a time when alcohol will not be in demand.

A radio controlled toy Ferrari? Wish I would've done that. Seriously, I agree with what your saying.
Gold is good for inflation. Inflation is your biggest problem. It's bad if you have negative inflation, but over time it should pan out.

I haven't looked into it much, it's just an educated guess and I worked that out. If I were really serious I'd take the inflation calculator and the gold price and whack them into excel and see the increase... I bet it's pretty good.

I worked for the world's largest winery for over 3 decades and that is true in my experience. When times are good, people celebrate. When times are bad, people drown their sorrows. Win-win for the alcohol industry.

I understand, the problem is A) storage B) damage C) demand for GOOD alcohol... I don't know the price fluctuations, who buys this stuff, when they buy this stuff.

Gold is kind of obvious, people buy when they have excess money and they sell when they're not doing so good. Recessions they sell, that's the time to buy, they buy when the going's good, the best time to sell (this is an educated guess, I might be wrong)

Gold is good for inflation. Inflation is your biggest problem. It's bad if you have negative inflation, but over time it should pan out.

I haven't looked into it much, it's just an educated guess and I worked that out. If I were really serious I'd take the inflation calculator and the gold price and whack them into excel and see the increase... I bet it's pretty good.

If you were to ass up a half million in American on gold you're likely to lose your ass.

I agree I'd rather drink it like that but unless you live in Florida you're not likely to find lemons.
Well I don't have lemons either. But that Costco up in Flagstaff sells bottles of lemon juice by the case you know, and I have a fear of scurvy so I got some and put it in my storage.....lol. I have all kinds of stuff in those containers

.edited to correct myself, that Costco is in Prescott.....sam's club is flag.

Well I don't have lemons either. But that Costco up in Flagstaff sells bottles of lemon juice by the case you know, and I have a fear of scurvy so I got some and put it in my storage.....lol. I have all kinds of stuff in those containers.

Not a bad idea as far as preventing scurvy but you'll likely be able to find local plants to stop scurvy.
I wonder what the shelf life on those bottles of lemon and lime is?
Cant say I've ever heard those brought up on prepper sights but it's worth looking into.

Forum List

Back