Bubba'd wiring...

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
Man... what a mess...

IMG_20210820_192328839~2.jpg

Luckily, the wiring diagram is in the Haynes manual...

IMG_20210820_193433124~2.jpg

But, if I'm going to redo it all, I'm going to upgrade it a little.

As you can see in the diagram, The brake lights and the turn signals share a common wire...but...with this 2 to 3 wire converter I can separate the brake and turn signal to individual wires.

Screenshot_20210820-213857.png
Amazon product

Worked up a new diagram...

IMG_20210820_193504037~2.jpg

The outside lights will be turn signals/brake/tail, the next set in will be brake/tail, and the inside set will be reverse lights.

IMG_20210820_194335823.jpg

Monday the new inside holes will be cut...

IMG_20210820_192414689.jpg

...but I'll start the rewiring tomorrow.

The diagram has been updated since the image above. The output turn signals from the converter are going to be wired into side mounted turn signals halfway down the side of the bed.

Oh I had a super bubba'd J10 one time. At least it said J10 on the outside. I understand the motor may have come from a gremlin. I had a different toggle for each light and the fuel meter was wired up all sorts of backwards so full on the guage was empty and half a tank was really the full mark. The bed was replaced with what was intended to be a dump bed but they positioned the arm wrong so a foot in the air was about the most you could get it up. Thing probably weighed as much as a bus. Didn't need to put it in four wheel drive. It was so damn heavy that if the weight didn't get you traction, nothing was.

Man... what a mess...

View attachment 528682

Luckily, the wiring diagram is in the Haynes manual...

View attachment 528681

But, if I'm going to redo it all, I'm going to upgrade it a little.

As you can see in the diagram, The brake lights and the turn signals share a common wire...but...with this 2 to 3 wire converter I can separate the brake and turn signal to individual wires.

View attachment 528686
Amazon product

Worked up a new diagram...

View attachment 528680

The outside lights will be turn signals/brake/tail, the next set in will be brake/tail, and the inside set will be reverse lights.

View attachment 528679

Monday the new inside holes will be cut...

View attachment 528678

...but I'll start the rewiring tomorrow.

The diagram has been updated since the image above. The output turn signals from the converter are going to be wired into side mounted turn signals halfway down the side of the bed.

I hate wiring!!!!

• Banned
I hate wiring!!!!
Ditto.

But I especially have trying to fix someone else's wiring mess.

When Mrs Mo drove this truck home no brake lights worked and the left turn and right turn from the column both operated the same light. :neutral:

There are multiple splice in wires that are only 10 inch long.

Someone used yellow butt connectors on 16 gauge wire...

And the electrical tape...it's everywhere... fossilized electrical tape...miles of it.

IMO...better to just start from scratch.

Luckily the original four wires from the original harness are intact and functional.

Once I wire up a new harness I'll cut all that crap out.

Last edited:
Ditto.

When Mrs Mo drive this truck home no brake lights worked and the left turn and right turn from the column both operated the same light. :neutral:

There are multiple slice in wires that are only 10 inch long.

And the electrical tape...it's everywhere... fossilized electrical tape...miles of it.

Luckily the original four wires from the original harness are intact and functional.

I'm sure they were planning on fixing it right the next time,,,

Ditto.

When Mrs Mo drove this truck home no brake lights worked and the left turn and right turn from the column both operated the same light. :neutral:

There are multiple splice in wires that are only 10 inch long.

I had to rewire my boat after I bought it.
It was a mess!!!

Bet that was a mess. At least this relatively simple...and I have a diagram to work from.

Was it Bubba...mice...or both?

It was a Bubba job.
They didnt even use the fuse panel everything had an inline fuse. The thing that really sucked is there was a fuse panel already there.
Under the console was a rats nest of wires some of which went to nowhere. I pretty much gutted all the wiring and started from scratch.
ADB1AF45-AC18-4B68-A06B-3D8C9BCE9C85.jpeg

DD3FC496-738F-445D-BC95-0A91C55C5E50.jpeg

It was a Bubba job.
They didnt even use the fuse panel everything had an inline fuse. The thing that really sucked is there was a fuse panel already there.
Under the console was a rats nest of wires some of which went to nowhere. I pretty much gutted all the wiring and started from scratch.
View attachment 529503
View attachment 529504

Looks like a fun little boat.

It was a Bubba job.
View attachment 529503
View attachment 529504
Nice boat.

The things people do just don't make sense sometimes.

Sounds like the same deal... They made it harder on themselves and by extension harder on you than doing it right the first time.

Nice boat.

The things people do just don't make sense sometimes.

Sounds like the same deal... They made it harder on themselves and by extension harder on you than doing it right the first time.

Exactly.
Pulling wires through the chase is a pain in the ass. And these dumbfucks pulled out the rope that is supposed to stay in the chase so you can more easily fix wires. The rope is twice the length of the chase so you can pull wires from front to back and when your done you coil it up and secure it with a zip tie for future use.
They didnt even have a battery switch so you could go from charging the main battery and the trolling battery so they'd stay charged.
One of the prime reasons I hate buying used. You have to deal with stupid people.
But I refuse to buy new boats,they drop faster in value than trucks do once you take em off the lot.

Exactly.
Pulling wires through the chase is a pain in the ass. And these dumbfucks pulled out the rope that is supposed to stay in the chase so you can more easily fix wires. The rope is twice the length of the chase so you can pull wires from front to back and when your done you coil it up and secure it with a zip tie for future use.
They didnt even have a battery switch so you could go from charging the main battery and the trolling battery so they'd stay charged.
One of the prime reasons I hate buying used. You have to deal with stupid people.
But I refuse to buy new boats,they drop faster in value than trucks do once you take em off the lot.

I can't imagine how much that sucked.

I redid my entire engine compartment with new corrugated wire loom over the course of the last two seasons.

It's the best thing I ever did, to be honest.

Everything is nice and neat now. Looks so much better.

I wanna look into installing hose candy next year.

It's kind of pricey, though. But I really like the idea of not having to use clamps. I had thought about AN fittings, but changed my mind about that.

Forum List

Back