Brown Eyes-Blue Eyes Experiment - "The Angry Eye"

CaféAuLait

This Space for Rent
Oct 29, 2008
Pacific Northwest

This video begins pretty abruptly, it’s at the point where the group has been split in two. one of the students who’s been singled out based on eye color becomes extremely frustrated.

Part 2:

Part 1:

Jane Elliot is the teacher who developed the well known “Blue Eyes/Brown Eyes” exercise. This experiment involves the teacher splitting a group of students into two groups based on the color of their eyes. The point is to essentially pick on just one of the groups for no apparent reason, she is prejudiced towards one group with the sole purpose of showing how unfair it is to treat people in a certain way based on a physical feature that they cannot change. This video begins pretty abruptly, it’s at the point where the group has been split in two. one of the students who’s been singled out based on eye color becomes extremely frustrated.

Elliot developed this exercise in the 1960's and has used the same technique since. Do you believe she has taken into account changes in America or do you share her belief nothings changed since she made the test in the 60s? . Alan Charles Kors, a conservative professor of history at University of Pennsylvania noted, in his defense of students accused of shouting racial slurs in the water buffalo incident of 1993, writes that Elliott’s exercise teaches "blood-guilt and self-contempt to whites".

The video in some aspects is very powerful. However,I also believe it would be hard to try and speak or get a point across after the class was over to try and explain how you feel due to feeling you won't be heard given how one sided the class was. For instance, the female blonde with short hair was trying to say she did not feel it correct to assume the black male experienced a worse set of circumstances, given she is gay and experiences prejudices each day.

Other have used Elliot's approach and have performed exercises where white males were verbally abused by black peers and then forced to walk a gauntlet to be touched by female workers.

Do you think Jane Elliot is getting her point across in the right way? Will it have a lasting impact?

Last edited by a moderator:
CaféAuLait;8636414 said:

This video begins pretty abruptly, it’s at the point where the group has been split in two. one of the students who’s been singled out based on eye color becomes extremely frustrated.

Part 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mp5Hs4eafU

Part 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pv8mCHbOrs

Jane Elliot is the teacher who developed the well known “Blue Eyes/Brown Eyes” exercise. This experiment involves the teacher splitting a group of students into two groups based on the color of their eyes. The point is to essentially pick on just one of the groups for no apparent reason, she is prejudiced towards one group with the sole purpose of showing how unfair it is to treat people in a certain way based on a physical feature that they cannot change. This video begins pretty abruptly, it’s at the point where the group has been split in two. one of the students who’s been singled out based on eye color becomes extremely frustrated.

Elliot developed this exercise in the 1960's and has used the same technique since. Do you believe she has taken into account changes in America or do you share her belief nothings changed since she made the test in the 60s? . Alan Charles Kors, a conservative professor of history at University of Pennsylvania noted, in his defense of students accused of shouting racial slurs in the water buffalo incident of 1993, writes that Elliott’s exercise teaches "blood-guilt and self-contempt to whites".

The video in some aspects is very powerful. However,I also believe it would be hard to try and speak or get a point across after the class was over to try and explain how you feel due to feeling you won't be heard given how one sided the class was. For instance, the female blonde with short hair was trying to say she did not feel it correct to assume the black male experienced a worse set of circumstances, given she is gay and experiences prejudices each day.

Other have used Elliot's approach and have performed exercises where white males were verbally abused by black peers and then forced to walk a gauntlet to be touched by female workers.

Do you think Jane Elliot is getting her point across in the right way? Will it have a lasting impact?

I first learned about this woman on this message board. She is a heroine. i cant think of a more powerful way to expose white people to just a smidgen of what Black people deal with constantly. I see why some white people lose it. They don't really want to admit to themselves that this is what Black people face. For anyone saying it teaches blood guilt or self-contempt that seems to be taking the easy way out. The whole point is to focus on what you can learn about other peoples daily lives, not feeling guilty. It should teach you to empathize, change your behavior accordingly, and recognize that "white privilege" is a real phenomenon.

CaféAuLait;8636414 said:

Part 2:

Part 1:

I first learned about this woman on this message board. She is a heroine. i cant think of a more powerful way to expose white people to just a smidgen of what Black people deal with constantly. I see why some white people lose it. They don't really want to admit to themselves that this is what Black people face. For anyone saying it teaches blood guilt or self-contempt that seems to be taking the easy way out. The whole point is to focus on what you can learn about other peoples daily lives, not feeling guilty. It should teach you to empathize, change your behavior accordingly, and recognize that "white privilege" is a real phenomenon.

Really? That's crazy you learned about her here. I didn't know there were other posts about her, forgive me for any repeats.

I guess I was wondering if you felt there would be a lasting impression and if you felt that perhaps a few of her tactics may be a bit strong, especially for a gay female who experiences bigotry and was trying to make her case, but it seemed to me she might be 'afraid" to continue due to backlash?

Oprah did this one time. Separated her audience according to eye color. I think Jane was her guest that day. Anyway..it was some time ago and I don't remember much of it but I DO remember the angst of the people in the audience being divided , treated differently, then the lightbulbs going on over their heads when it was all explained.

Meaning the chick was trying to say sure, I don't know what it's like to be black, but he too can't know what its like to be a gay female.

Oprah did this one time. Separated her audience according to eye color. I think Jane was her guest that day. Anyway..it was some time ago and I don't remember much of it but I DO remember the angst of the people in the audience being divided , treated differently, then the lightbulbs going on over their heads when it was all explained.

I'll have to look that one up. I did a paper about this method in school. It fascinated me.

CaféAuLait;8636648 said:
CaféAuLait;8636414 said:

Part 2:

Part 1:

Really? That's crazy you learned about her here. I didn't know there were other posts about her, forgive me for any repeats.

I guess I was wondering if you felt there would be a lasting impression and if you felt that perhaps a few of her tactics may be a bit strong, especially for a gay female who experiences bigotry and was trying to make her case, but it seemed to me she might be 'afraid" to continue due to backlash?

I would think it would leave a lasting impression. i would love to go through something like that to see the white side. Especially the ones that live in fear of Black people. I felt sorry for the gay female but I look at it like this. She can always not divulge her sexual preference. Black people/people of color cannot hide their color to escape persecution.

I watched the vid.

I will be totally honest with you. I understand what Jane was teaching. But the first time she would have gotten in my face like she did that gal, I would have punched her lights out.

I watched the vid.

I will be totally honest with you. I understand what Jane was teaching. But the first time she would have gotten in my face like she did that gal, I would have punched her lights out.

I think that is her point to be honest. She wishes to drive the experience home.

You can't teach tolerance with cruelty. The way Oprah did it was not as crude as how this particular vid showed and the "lesson" was still taught. Jane went overboard. She pissed me off just watching it. Talk about assumptions towards students she knows nothing about yet insisted one wrong was more important than other wrongs.

Warped thinking by her, in my opinion.

CaféAuLait;8636692 said:
I watched the vid.

I think that is her point to be honest. She wishes to drive the experience home.

Oh she drove home her own agenda all right.

1. I first heard of such experiments in terms of teaching students that one eye color meant they were geniuses, then changing it the other way. and both times students acted to meet the expectations imposed on them.

I use this example to explain to people the difference it makes between verbally enforcing scarcity mentality/treating people as victims or oppressors
and abundance mentality/treating people with respect for their full potential.

2. so it is more than just superficial coloring or perception of class. it is access and knowledge for empowerment that overcomes class divisions.
i think focus on color is too limited an interpretation and does not cover abstract applications such as insulting or dismissing each other's religious or political views as inferior or not counting. People still bully and discriminate based on invisible divisions by class culture, politics and other social groupings, and don't realize it is related to the same thing.

3. if you don't teach conflict resolution and diversity management, to the degree of including opposing religous and political views, then you will still have problems.

you end up with people blaming others for being the bigots based on race only. boasting of
being tolerant of gays and progay but intolerant of people whose beliefs are antigay.

the real issue is projection from internal to external
and like racism it it is not limited to just race or color
but takes all levels and forms.

the real solution is forgiveness and healing, and everyone has a different process
of addressing different problems. again it isn't limited to color and gender/orientation or labels. it goes deep in people's thinking, where we have fears or unforgiven issues,
and where we project these outward onto other people relations or situations.

this is a good start, but it goes much deeper beyond any external appearance or social label.

Last edited:
Good word for what jane did in that particular "lesson". She bullied, then decided to blame it on others what she herself instigated. And from looking at a few students in the background, they didn't seem too impressed with her either.

Good word for what jane did in that particular "lesson". She bullied, then decided to blame it on others what she herself instigated. And from looking at a few students in the background, they didn't seem too impressed with her either.

That is exactly what being a person of color is like. White culture is shoved down your throat and you are told to take it or leave it. I think she understands that somehow where others don't simple because they have no point of reference.

That is exactly what being a person of color is like. White culture is shoved down your throat and you are told to take it or leave it. I think she understands that somehow where others don't simple because they have no point of reference.

all white people in america didn't grow up with the same culture, just so you know. some didn't even grow up here. nor did all black people grow up alike.

also, the more you focus on race as a difference, the more it allows you to ignore the real problem, which is economic disparity.

sometimes, people are just people and kids are just kids.

CaféAuLait;8636414 said:

Part 2:

Part 1:

If I'm not mistaken, Oprah or some other day-time talk show host did similarly years ago but with hair color.

the argument could be made that the experiment demonstrated how those in charge (power) play the races of against each other for their own purposes.

also, her experriment was conducted in a small, racially homgenous, iowa town where the urban environment, with all its incredible racial and ethnic diversity would see different results.

that does not mean the experiment lacked legitimacy, but i think it needs to be looked into more carefully and conclusions might be different than the immediate knee jerk response.

the experiment(s) also proved to be ineffective in producing lasting effects, i believe.

we really have come a long way since the '60s but we have to keep moving forward, not forgetting the past but not reliving it either.

man, if we don't start healin', we are gonna bleed to death.

Last edited:
This exercise and those others like Milgram's experiment in the 60s illustrate the need for people to follow, blindly at times the orders of others.

The roots of patriotism, nationalism, jingoism and racism all have roots in this basic human flaw.

all white people in america didn't grow up with the same culture, just so you know. some didn't even grow up here. nor did all black people grow up alike.

also, the more you focus on race as a difference, the more it allows you to ignore the real problem, which is economic disparity.

sometimes, people are just people and kids are just kids.

I somewhat agree but there are cultural differences in the way we go about things. I know that is a generalization but it does hold true pretty much when it comes to social interaction and what I call the drone of daily life. If I had not focused on the fact that there is white privilege I would not have made it to where I am today. Instead I would have wondered what was wrong with me and why I had such a hard time getting opportunities my white peers seemed to have handed to them. Once I realized I really had to work 10x harder than my white peers I had a path and a conviction no one was going to stop me.

People are people but they are also the product of their environments. If they grow up privileged they have certain expectations. Anything less is an outrage to them. To me it was just an expectation to be discriminated against. I had to get outraged so I would not just accept what society showed me everyday in what a low opinion they had of me and people that looked like me.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back