British People: What The Hell is Fish Paste?

boedicca

Uppity Water Nymph from the Land of Funk
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 12, 2007
A question that has bothered me for many years: what the hell is fish paste and why would somebody put it in a sammich?

British People seem to like it - Please 'Splain.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Yes. British people eat, among the large variety of odd things the eat, consume something called Fish Paste Sandwiches.

They don't even say Sammich correctly. What's up with that?

Begone, party pooper.

Go harsh another thread.

Fish Paste

#

* Preparation time: 20 minutes
* Rapid cooking time: 15 minutes

#

* 1 lb. white fish (pollock)
* 1/2 cup arrowroot starch (can be substituted with tapioca starch or cornstarch)
* Egg white from 2 eggs
* 3 ice cubes (about 1-inch square)
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon white pepper

#

* Cut up the fish into 1/2-inch cubes. Put all the ingredients except for the ice cubes in a food processor and blend for about two minutes or until smooth. Then add the ice cubes and continue to blend for another three minutes or so. The paste should be very thick with a lot of elasticity. The finished paste should be very smooth with no solid pieces of fish. Scoop the paste into a bowl and refrigerate for about an hour before using.

It IS mostly a south east Asia type thing. BUt the British do eat a sandwich which uses a version of it, we know that sandwich as a tuna fish sandwich.

O well, I thought it might be poor mans caviar, you know, leftovers, all the squished up eggs that used to be round, that no one wants.......

What's with the ice cubes?

fish paste

#

* preparation time: 20 minutes
* rapid cooking time: 15 minutes

#

* 1 lb. White fish (pollock)
* 1/2 cup arrowroot starch (can be substituted with tapioca starch or cornstarch)
* egg white from 2 eggs
* 1 teaspoon salt

#

* cut up the fish into 1/2-inch cubes. Put all the ingredients except for the ice cubes in a food processor and blend for about two minutes or until smooth. Then add the ice cubes and continue to blend for another three minutes or so. The paste should be very thick with a lot of elasticity. The finished paste should be very smooth with no solid pieces of fish. Scoop the paste into a bowl and refrigerate for about an hour before throwing out and ordering a pizza.

ftfy.

fish paste

#

* preparation time: 20 minutes
* rapid cooking time: 15 minutes

#

* 1 lb. White fish (pollock)
* egg white from 2 eggs
* 1 teaspoon salt

#

* cut up the fish into 1/2-inch cubes. Put all the ingredients except for the ice cubes in a food processor and blend for about two minutes or until smooth. Then add the ice cubes and continue to blend for another three minutes or so. The paste should be very thick with a lot of elasticity. The finished paste should be very smooth with no solid pieces of fish. Scoop the paste into a bowl and refrigerate for about an hour before throwing out and ordering a pizza.

ftfy.

I must say I'm with you on the pizza option there.

This is called "Kamaboko" in Japan. My wife likes it just fine but to me it tastes like "rubbery nothing". Japan makes a great imitation crab meat too. Just so ya' know.

[youtube]2BzQ7_x08Ok[/youtube]

A question that has bothered me for many years: what the hell is fish paste and why would somebody put it in a sammich?

British People seem to like it - Please 'Splain.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

It's what they use to brush their tooth...
Hilarious.:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Brit becomes murkin.

Attachments

• $happyface10.jpg
    $happyface10.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 188

Forum List

Back