British cancelled African dreams, literally

Robert Urbanek

Platinum Member
Nov 9, 2019
Vacaville, CA
When the British colonized Africa in about 1870, they not only carted off resources such as gold, ivory, and salt, they also took away the dreams of tribal leaders. No, I donā€™t mean hopes and aspirations; I mean the dreams you have at night.

In the book Man and His Symbols (1964), page 37, psychoanalyst Carl Jung reported his experience with a tribe in east Africa. The tribesmen felt that the dreams of ordinary men meant nothing. ā€œThey thought that the only dreams that mattered were those of chiefs and medicine men; these, which concerned the welfare of the tribe, were highly appreciated.ā€

Alas, the chief and medicine man claimed they had ceased having meaningful dreams after the arrival of the British. ā€œThe district commissionerā€”the British official in charge of themā€”had taken over the functions of the ā€˜great dreamsā€™ that had hitherto guided the tribeā€™s behavior.ā€

Not necessarily a bad thing in the case of the Zulu; their dreams apparently involved a lot of shoving sharpened tree trunks up peoples asses and standing them up in lines along the roads. And yes, they were alive when they did it.

When the British colonized Africa in about 1870, they not only carted off resources such as gold, ivory, and salt, they also took away the dreams of tribal leaders. No, I donā€™t mean hopes and aspirations; I mean the dreams you have at night.

In the book Man and His Symbols (1964), page 37, psychoanalyst Carl Jung reported his experience with a tribe in east Africa. The tribesmen felt that the dreams of ordinary men meant nothing. ā€œThey thought that the only dreams that mattered were those of chiefs and medicine men; these, which concerned the welfare of the tribe, were highly appreciated.ā€

Alas, the chief and medicine man claimed they had ceased having meaningful dreams after the arrival of the British. ā€œThe district commissionerā€”the British official in charge of themā€”had taken over the functions of the ā€˜great dreamsā€™ that had hitherto guided the tribeā€™s behavior.ā€
They should have had more stringent immigration laws.

The only dream Africans ever has was getting out of Africa.

A grain of sand compared to the beaches of colonial atrocities

Europeans had boats and guns, so they tended to spread out and win more, over a larger area.

If you think that means that non-europeans were nice to each other....

Just....

1649504183021.png

A grain of sand compared to the beaches of colonial atrocities
Really?

Last edited:

RIP Mr Jung. MA-A*GA !

If, as some believe, dreams originate in the spiritual realm and not from our own minds, then the spirits were essentially telling the tribesmen, ā€œWe arenā€™t giving you guidance anymore. Listen to your British masters.ā€

If, as some believe, dreams originate in the spiritual realm and not from our own minds, then the spirits were essentially telling the tribesmen, ā€œWe arenā€™t giving you guidance anymore. Listen to your British masters.ā€

Historically speaking, did they do that?

I do not have access to an historical account of what happens in the spiritual realm. My comment was simply a logical inference based on Jung's observation.

Mmm, yes, I see how my question could be taken as a question about what the spirits did.

Others might think that I was referring to tribesmen.

America was a British colony with a form of government and certain "rights" under the British King. Africa was never a British colony. It was a base of operations to loot the continent.

Forum List

Back