Britain is a political wasteland.

Mindful

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2014
Here, there, and everywhere.
The Truss premiership was a new low for our democracy.

So Liz Truss is out. After just 44 days her premiership is no more. ‘I’m a fighter, not a quitter’, she said in parliament yesterday, and now she’s quit. Her premiership deserves to live in ignominy. Not necessarily because her blunders were so spectacular – though many of them were – but because of what this strangled-at-birth stint in Downing Street tells us about British politics more broadly. Which is that it’s a wasteland. An ideological void. A dustbowl of ideas. The lack of even the faintest glimmer of leadership material anywhere in the Westminster circus is horrifying to me. Trussism is but a symptom of a wider malady afflicting our political class.

It all paved the way for the Jeremy Hunt coup. That nerdy technocrat is hardly Pinochet. He’s an improbable usurper of power. Yet the political and strategic fragility of Trussism meant he could very easily sweep in and take control. He now runs the country. He has stuffed the Treasury with Osbornites and Hammondites and others who, like him, love ‘competence’ above all else. They want to steer the nation from the choppy waters of Brexit and Boris back to the safe shore of technocracy. Even though we didn’t vote for that, and don’t want it. That sappy Remainers could seize the reins of power was further proof of the infirmity of Trussism. One house of cards replaced with another.

• Banned
^ ‘The lady’s not for turning up’, said Keir Starmer when she was a no-show in the Commons, which is the only funny thing he’s ever said.

Not only is this undemocratic (14million people voted for Boris to be PM, no one voted for Hunt to be de facto PM). Not only is it anti-political. Not only is it bureaucratic, stiff and unabashedly concerned more with making the trains run on time than with inspiring the people with proposals for a genuinely better life.

^ ‘The lady’s not for turning up’, said Keir Starmer when she was a no-show in the Commons, which is the only funny thing he’s ever said.

Not only is this undemocratic (14million people voted for Boris to be PM, no one voted for Hunt to be de facto PM). Not only is it anti-political. Not only is it bureaucratic, stiff and unabashedly concerned more with making the trains run on time than with inspiring the people with proposals for a genuinely better life.

I am not into remarking on the inner workings of other nations; not my business. But broadly, I do not see what the engine of the British economy is. ??? I see a bunch of British people "managing the decline". And trust me, we are on the very same course if we don't change very, very quickly.

• Banned
I am not into remarking on the inner workings of other nations; not my business. But broadly, I do not see what the engine of the British economy is. ??? I see a bunch of British people "managing the decline". And trust me, we are on the very same course if we don't change very, very quickly.

As l don’t live there, l am, like you, an interested observer.

The British economy? Well, they’ve lost their manufacturing base: ship building, cars, textiles/clothing.

From what l can gather, there are 5.3 million microbusinesses in the UK and make up 96% of all businesses.

Financial and technical services.

Not only is this undemocratic (14million people voted for Boris to be PM, no one voted for Hunt to be de facto PM). Not only is it anti-political. Not only is it bureaucratic, stiff and unabashedly concerned more with making the trains run on time than with inspiring the people with proposals fo r a genuinely better life.
Great cutnpaste babe. Back to your best.

• Banned
Great cutnpaste babe. Back to your best.

What a riposte!

You are a serious debater? Seriously?

No wonder Britain is in a state, with specimens like you in droves.

C4F43FFF-5E79-4CA1-94E2-DD02C02FFA75.jpeg

:laughing0301:

The Truss premiership was a new low for our democracy.

So Liz Truss is out. After just 44 days her premiership is no more. ‘I’m a fighter, not a quitter’, she said in parliament yesterday, and now she’s quit. Her premiership deserves to live in ignominy. Not necessarily because her blunders were so spectacular – though many of them were – but because of what this strangled-at-birth stint in Downing Street tells us about British politics more broadly. Which is that it’s a wasteland. An ideological void. A dustbowl of ideas. The lack of even the faintest glimmer of leadership material anywhere in the Westminster circus is horrifying to me. Trussism is but a symptom of a wider malady afflicting our political class.

It all paved the way for the Jeremy Hunt coup. That nerdy technocrat is hardly Pinochet. He’s an improbable usurper of power. Yet the political and strategic fragility of Trussism meant he could very easily sweep in and take control. He now runs the country. He has stuffed the Treasury with Osbornites and Hammondites and others who, like him, love ‘competence’ above all else. They want to steer the nation from the choppy waters of Brexit and Boris back to the safe shore of technocracy. Even though we didn’t vote for that, and don’t want it. That sappy Remainers could seize the reins of power was further proof of the infirmity of Trussism. One house of cards replaced with another.

I miss England.

:thup:

We still do the best rock bands. :cool:

Okay well, you have the iconic Kate Bush. And Imma climb up on my gatekeeping pedestal and say to all Stranger Things fans: I'm glad you discovered her, but I WAS Max listening to her in 1985. Well, minus the freaky stuff. Like the levitating. heh

Your vote elects the party, you don't vote for the PM

Many have thought that a parliamentary system would serve the U.S. better, since our two-party system results in disparate groups being lumped together under one umbrella (e.g., labor unions and sexual irregulars). But one sees Britain and Israel, and even Canada doing no better at choosing leaders than we in the U.S. are, so...

Many have thought that a parliamentary system would serve the U.S. better, since our two-party system results in disparate groups being lumped together under one umbrella (e.g., labor unions and sexual irregulars). But one sees Britain and Israel, and even Canada doing no better at choosing leaders than we in the U.S. are, so...
There has to be a better ay for all of us.

Forum List

Back