Brett Favre wants kids to avoid tackle football until age 14

DrLove

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2016
Central Oregon Coast
Makes total sense to me. My Dad had the talk with me in Junior High, so he knew more about the dangers than most did in the 70s. I really didn't listen to him, but I did listen to my high school basketball coach when I told him as a sophomore that maybe I wanted to try out for tight end.

They didn't refer to it as CTE or even a concussion back then - It was a dismissive "ya got your bell rung son".

Good on Favre for doing this - He doesn't know anything about vaccines, but he does know about this. Not a football fan on the planet who doesn't respect the guy, remember his skills, his love of the game and his toughness. And hey, flag football is fun for the younger kids and it does teach them the basics.

Anyone else with a personal experience - Either yourself or your kiddo?

Last edited:
I remember playing tackle football at 10-13
No pads, no helmets

A few kids might get the wind knocked out of them but there were no head injuries. With no pads or helmet you never led with your head and most tackles were done by grabbing the upper body and dragging the runner down.

The fat kid usually took three or four kids to jump on his back.

I remember playing tackle football at 10-13
No pads, no helmets

A few kids might get the wind knocked out of them but there were no head injuries. With no pads or helmet you never led with your head and most tackles were done by grabbing the upper body and dragging the runner down.

The fat kid usually took three or four kids to jump on his back.

Not even one of these helmets RW? Damn- wayback machine! ;)
But at 10-13 that was pretty much middle school - different

ae37bc7bf80e4bd82c0a3dd30239a148_f644fce2-e605-4e63-8705-d06c9215b377.png

There are other sports - professional sports - played around the world that are just as violent as American football, and they wear basically NO headgear, and no protection equipment beyond a cup and maybe shin guards.

The presence of the protective equipment induces players to play in a way that does nothing to protect the head, assuming that the helmet will take care of that. The solution is to do like everyone else does and remove all that equipment. It would take about five minutes for the players to figure out how to play without concussing each other on every play. Those who played tackle football as kids know what I'm saying.

As for the 14-year-old suggestion, whether its "tackle" or flag football or "touch," everyone on the field is having significant collisions except the ball-carrier. Doesn't really change much.

But we are pussies as a society; we value the pretense of safety above rational behavior. E.g., wearing masks, TSA, etc.

There are other sports - professional sports - played around the world that are just as violent as American football, and they wear basically NO headgear, and no protection equipment beyond a cup and maybe shin guards.

The presence of the protective equipment induces players to play in a way that does nothing to protect the head, assuming that the helmet will take care of that. The solution is to do like everyone else does and remove all that equipment. It would take about five minutes for the players to figure out how to play without concussing each other on every play. Those who played tackle football as kids know what I'm saying.

As for the 14-year-old suggestion, whether its "tackle" or flag football or "touch," everyone on the field is having significant collisions except the ball-carrier. Doesn't really change much.

But we are pussies as a society; we value the pretense of safety above rational behavior. E.g., wearing masks, TSA, etc.

Which sports are just as violent as American football? Rugby maybe, but those guys aren't running directly at each other each going 15-20 miles an hour generally. I'll bet you think motorcycle helmet and seatbelt laws are stupid too ya?

Last edited:
Which sports are just as violent as American football? Rugby maybe, but those guys aren't running directly at each other each going 15-20 miles an hour generally. I'll be you think motorcycle helmet and seatbelt laws are stupid too ya?
I really think wearing a Rugby style helmet would reduce head injuries
The huge padded plastic helmet creates a feeling of invulnerability.

I really think wearing a Rugby style helmet would reduce head injuries
The huge padded plastic helmet creates a feeling of invulnerability.

The NFL and manufacturers commissioned MANY studies on helmets. As the helmets have gotten better, there have been fewer head injuries.

Would you really want to eliminate helmets from the sport at this point?

WTF?

Forum List

Back