Bread Bags

Star

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2009
"You see, growing up, I had only one good pair of shoes. So on rainy school days, my mom would slip plastic bread bags over them to keep them dry. But I was never embarrassed. Because the school bus would be filled with rows and rows of young Iowans with bread bags slipped over their feet." ~ Joni Ernst

Is there anyone that grew up in a cold and/or wet clime who didn't do this? My takeaway on Joni's tugging at our heartstrings story is; Joni had one pair of good shoes - that's one more pair of good shoes than anyone in my neighborhood had.

Today the Pac-10 and NFL provide warm and wet weather gear to their officials, but as recent as the late '90's, I had a guy working for me that was also a Pac-10 ref - ...to protect their feet, the officials would take plastic bread bags...

NEWS FLASH: You can afford these shoes on $7.25 an hour

We had galoshes or rubbers...the ones you put on your feet..not your dick. Couldn't use bread bags...had cardboard in shoes to fill the holes in the soles. Good pair of shoes my ass.

She had bread?

LOL, of course her family had bread, you, me and American taxpayers paid for it.

In Joni Ernst's Republican response to President Obama's SOTU speech, Joni spoke of her family's humble beginnings but-----but Joni's family was not only using the sweat on their brow(s) but the sweat on my brow and every taxpayers brow...harrumph.

Memo to Joni, I don't question that you and your family worked hard but-----but you and your family didn't build it by yourselves - y'all got lots-o-help from Washington DC, your cronies in county government and... etc.

Living within their means? Family of Senator Joni Ernst received $460,000 in federal aid
Jen Hayden
Jan 22, 2015

<snip>

They had very little to call their own except the sweat on their brow and the dirt on their hands. But they worked, they sacrificed, and they dreamed big dreams for their children and grandchildren.
And because they did, an ordinary Iowan like me has had some truly extraordinary opportunities because they showed me that you don’t need to come from wealth or privilege to make a difference. You just need the freedom to dream big, and a whole lot of hard work.

To be clear, there can be no doubt farmers work hard. It's a work day that really never ends. But what Joni Ernst failed to mention is that her family did not succeed alone. They had a whole lot of federal help along the way:

Ernst’s father, Richard Culver, was given $14,705 in conservation payments and $23,690 in commodity subsidies by the federal government–with all but twelve dollars allocated for corn support. Richard’s brother, Dallas Culver, benefited from $367,141 in federal agricultural aid, with over $250,000 geared toward corn subsidies. And the brothers’ late grandfather Harold Culver received $57,479 from Washington—again, mostly corn subsidies—between 1995 and 2001. He passed away in January 2003.
The farm subsidies weren't the only payments her family benefited from:

A construction company owned by GOP Iowa Senate candidate Joni Ernst’s father received more than $200,000 in county contracts while she served as auditor of Montgomery County, Iowa, despite a strict conflict of interest code governing the provision of contracts to family members of county officials. A new review of records — as well as an analysis of the Code of Iowa — by Salon reveals that the nature of the contracts and how they were promulgated, may have violated relevant county standards.

So, Joni Ernst can talk about other American families "living within their means" and having to use bread bags to cover her only pair of shoes, but she's willfully ignoring the assistance the U.S. government gave to her own family. No doubt her family worked hard, but they didn't exactly succeed by pulling themselves up alone. We, the American taxpayers, certainly gave them a hand-up when they needed it. Something Ernst would do well to remember as she works to dismantle the Affordable Care Act and the very subsidies that saved her family more than once.

"They had very little to call their own except the sweat on their brow, the dirt on their hands, and the checks from the US Department of Agriculture.... You just need the freedom to dream big, a whole lot of hard work, and a family member at the county who can direct contracts your way."

There, fixed that for ya Joni. ~ IOKIYAR

That!

Where I was a kid we had to walk 3 miles uphill to school every morning.

Unemployment was so bad the county hired men to, using only pick and shovel, reverse the hills so we could walk 3 miles uphill back home and be so tired we'd fall asleep without wanting supper.

Hell, when I was a kid we walked barefoot for 3 miles in the snow just to get to school.
We had to. We ate our shoes. With peanut butter and jelly.

YOU HAD SHOES TO EAT. Oh I used to lay awake at night dreaming about a nice pair of shoes to eat.

We ate lumps of raw rat poison. And were damned glad to have it!

"You see, growing up, I had only one good pair of shoes. So on rainy school days, my mom would slip plastic bread bags over them to keep them dry. But I was never embarrassed. Because the school bus would be filled with rows and rows of young Iowans with bread bags slipped over their feet." ~ Joni Ernst

Is there anyone that grew up in a cold and/or wet clime who didn't do this? My takeaway on Joni's tugging at our heartstrings story is; Joni had one pair of good shoes - that's one more pair of good shoes than anyone in my neighborhood had.

Today the Pac-10 and NFL provide warm and wet weather gear to their officials, but as recent as the late '90's, I had a guy working for me that was also a Pac-10 ref - ...to protect their feet, the officials would take plastic bread bags...

I was raised in Louisiana.

We had to use trash bags under our hip boots to keep our feet dry.

we had to drink the water off the feet of our brothers and sisters to keep everyone's feet dry.

And we were damn glad to have it!

I was raised in Louisiana.

We had to use trash bags under our hip boots to keep our feet dry.
We used bread bags under boots too. Plus the boots slid off easy :).

Rich liberals wouldn't understand

Forum List

Back