Boomers, do you remember Jan 30th, 1968?

Flash

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2014
Florida
I do.

I was at Davis Station on the perimeter of Tan Son Nhut. The little bastards came through us to get to the flight line at TSN. We had a running battle with them in the compound but they were more interested in getting to the flight line than to have a knock down drag out with us.

A couple of days latter I was part of a detachment sent up to Dak To. We had to leave out of Bien Hoa because TSN was pretty much closed down. We got hit three times on the road trip to BH but fortunately no causalities.

When we got to Bien Hoa the flight was not available so we had to go to the 90th Replacement at Long Bien to spend the night. That night they blew up the ammo dump at Long Bien.

Then my sons wonder why I never liked fireworks on the 4th of July.

It was hectic as hell for a month afterwards. Interesting times.

I do.

I was at Davis Station on the perimeter of Tan Son Nhut. The little bastards came through us to get to the flight line at TSN. We had a running battle with them in the compound but they were more interested in getting to the flight line than to have a knock down drag out with us.

A couple of days latter I was part of a detachment sent up to Dak To. We had to leave out of Bien Hoa because TSN was pretty much closed down. We got hit three times on the road trip to BH but fortunately no causalities.

When we got to Bien Hoa the flight was not available so we had to go to the 90th Replacement at Long Bien to spend the night. That night they blew up the ammo dump at Long Bien.

None of that matters because you a self described racist. You're a coward that hates America. You are not a real American.

I believe this was part of the so-called, "Tet Offensive."

Historians record that the Tet Offensive was a disaster to the NVA and VC, wherein they sustained massive casualties and gained basically nothing but P.R. However, the American Media took it as proof that the enemy was still strong and vibrant, despite rosy reports from the American military. It was a catalyst for President Nixon's gradual extrication of U.S. forces ("Vietnamization"), along with intensive negotiations which ultimately proved successful.

Democrat leadership in Congress gave away this hard-won armistice by abandoning the RVN (ignoring multiple promises not to do so), resulting in the 1975 debacle - now the visual face of the Vietnam conflict.

Never lost a battle, but lost the war. Democrats have always been evil. Never forget.

I believe this was part of the so-called, "Tet Offensive."

Historians record that the Tet Offensive was a disaster to the NVA and VC, wherein they sustained massive casualties and gained basically nothing but P.R. However, the American Media took it as proof that the enemy was still strong and vibrant, despite rosy reports from the American military. It was a catalyst for President Nixon's gradual extrication of U.S. forces ("Vietnamization"), along with intensive negotiations which ultimately proved successful.

Democrat leadership in Congress gave away this hard-won armistice by abandoning the RVN (ignoring multiple promises not to do so), resulting in the 1975 debacle - now the visual face of the Vietnam conflict.

Never lost a battle, but lost the war. Democrats have always been evil. Never forget.
You cant admit that both Johnson and Nixon were war both at fault for Vietnam (along with Kennedy). You're nothing but a partisan hack.

The Vietnam conflict was well-justified. I blame neither Kennedy nor Johnson for its beginning or buildup. The logical but sad goal was an armistice, similar to what we had/have in Korea. This is what Nixon negotiated, but it required that the U.S. backstop the government of the Republic of Vietnam. When Nixon was tossed out, the North Vietnamese saw that the Democrat Congress was not willing to stand behind those guarantees, and took advantage.

I do.

Yes. I also remember October 1968, when Nixon had back channel agreements with Theiu, sabotaging the peace talks, to hurt Johnson and Humphrey's election chances, extending the war another 7 years, and 25,000 more casualties.

Which makes my sons wonder how any Vietnam vet could possibly be a Nixon supporter. I just explain Republicanism is a cult, and after four years of Trump, they now understand what I've been trying to tell them all these years.

Glad you made it out.

Yes. I also remember October 1968, when Nixon had back channel agreements with Theiu, sabotaging the peace talks, to hurt Johnson and Humphrey's election chances, extending the war another 7 years, and 25,000 more casualties.

Which makes my sons wonder how any Vietnam vet could possibly be a Nixon supporter. I just explain Republicanism is a cult, and after four years of Trump, they now understand what I've been trying to tell them all these years.

Glad you made it out.

I have a different take on Nixon.

I was in Vietnam from November 1967 until April 1970.

When I went over I was part of LBJs buildup and when I left I was part of Nixon's draw down.

LBJ was dumbass piece of shit that thought he could fight the war on the enemy's terms and that caused tens of thousands of unnecessary deaths. Nixon withdrew most of the ground troops and took the fight to the Commies and that resulted in them agreeing to the sovereignty of South Vietnam, which was always the objective of the war. He, in effect, won the war but later the Democrats, aided by a few really weak Republicans, gave away the victory.

However, don't get me wrong. I have no respect for any politician. They all will fuck us.

I had just graduated high school and was sweating out the draft.

When I graduated High School in June 1966 it was basically go to college or go into the military.

Of course we had shitheads like Joe Biden and Slick Willy that milked the deferment system for all it was worth.

My parents wanted me to go to college but I wanted adventure. Many times later I regretted that decision. Everybody wants "adventure" until it is time to get adventure. However, I would not trade the experience for a million dollars.

When I came home and started college I mostly hung out with fellow veterans. We little in common with the ones that didn't serve.

When I graduated High School in June 1966 it was basically go to college or go into the military.

Of course we had shitheads like Joe Biden and Slick Willy that milked the deferment system for all it was worth.

My parents wanted me to go to college but I wanted adventure. Many times later I regretted that decision. Everybody wants "adventure" until it is time to get adventure. However, I would not trade the experience for a million dollars.

When I came home and started college I mostly hung out with fellow veterans. We little in common with the ones that didn't serve.
This is what I loved deeply about the VN Vet who helped my disabled husband through the process of getting his VA disability approved. The man was a medic and the one true hero I've ever met (beyond my husband). He has a decal on his laptop that says "It's A Nam Thing". I never met a man so devoted.

Thank you fir serving.

I do.

I'm sorry this country put you through that

I'm sorry this country put you through that

If I wanted to stay out of the service there were ways to do it. However, that was never going to be in the cards.

I actually volunteered to go to Vietnam. My first assignment was in Germany and I could have stayed there until I my enlistment was up. However, I wanted adventure so I asked to be assigned to Vietnam.

I take responsibility for my own actions. I don't blame other people.

Forum List

Back