Blast from the past

Gdjjr

Platinum Member
Oct 25, 2019
Texas
Don't shoot me, it ain't my title-

Blast From the Past

In 1979, a U.S. satellite detected signs of a nuclear explosion. An analysis of the evidence today points to a clandestine nuclear test, a Carter administration cover-up, and only one country that was willing and able to carry it out: Israel.

Shortly before sunrise on Sept. 22, 1979, a U.S. surveillance satellite known as Vela 6911 recorded an unusual double flash as it orbited the earth above the South Atlantic. At Patrick Air Force Base in Florida, where it was still nighttime on Sept. 21, the staff in charge of monitoring the satellite’s transmissions saw the unmistakable pattern produced by a nuclear explosion—something U.S. satellites had detected on dozens of previous occasions in the wake of nuclear tests. The Air Force base issued an alert overnight, and President Jimmy Carter quickly called a meeting in the White House Situation Room the next day.

Nuclear proliferation was just one of the Carter administration’s headaches in late 1979. The president was dealing with a slew of foreign-policy dilemmas, including the build-up to what would become the Iran hostage crisis. Carter was also preparing for a reelection campaign in which he had hoped to showcase his foreign-policy successes, from brokering Israeli-Egyptian peace to successful arms control talks with Moscow. The possibility that Israel or South Africa, which had deep clandestine defense ties at the time, had tested a nuclear weapon threatened to tarnish that legacy. And the fact that South Africa’s own nuclear weapons program
, which the Carter administration was seeking to stop, was not yet sufficiently advanced to test such a weapon left just one prime suspect: Israel. Leading figures within the administration were therefore keen to bury the story and put forward alternative explanations.

Foreign Policy
assembled a team of scientists, academics, former government officials, and nonproliferation experts to analyze the declassified documents and data in the public domain, explain the political and strategic objectives of the key players at the time, and argue why a mysterious flash 40 years ago still matters today.

—Sasha Polakow-Suransky, Foreign Policy’s deputy editor

The Carter administration was so afraid to enforce the PTBT against Israel’s 1979 violation that it did what it could to erase or keep hidden evidence of its detection of a test. Subsequent administrations, Republican and Democratic alike, went along with this, and the U.S. government still pretends it knows nothing about any Israeli nuclear weapons.

Imagine that

Blast From the Past

In 1979, a U.S. satellite detected signs of a nuclear explosion. An analysis of the evidence today points to a clandestine nuclear test, a Carter administration cover-up, and only one country that was willing and able to carry it out: Israel.

Shortly before sunrise on Sept. 22, 1979, a U.S. surveillance satellite known as Vela 6911 recorded an unusual double flash as it orbited the earth above the South Atlantic. At Patrick Air Force Base in Florida, where it was still nighttime on Sept. 21, the staff in charge of monitoring the satellite’s transmissions saw the unmistakable pattern produced by a nuclear explosion—something U.S. satellites had detected on dozens of previous occasions in the wake of nuclear tests. The Air Force base issued an alert overnight, and President Jimmy Carter quickly called a meeting in the White House Situation Room the next day.

Nuclear proliferation was just one of the Carter administration’s headaches in late 1979. The president was dealing with a slew of foreign-policy dilemmas, including the build-up to what would become the Iran hostage crisis. Carter was also preparing for a reelection campaign in which he had hoped to showcase his foreign-policy successes, from brokering Israeli-Egyptian peace to successful arms control talks with Moscow. The possibility that Israel or South Africa, which had deep clandestine defense ties at the time, had tested a nuclear weapon threatened to tarnish that legacy. And the fact that South Africa’s own nuclear weapons program, which the Carter administration was seeking to stop, was not yet sufficiently advanced to test such a weapon left just one prime suspect: Israel. Leading figures within the administration were therefore keen to bury the story and put forward alternative explanations.

Foreign Policy
assembled a team of scientists, academics, former government officials, and nonproliferation experts to analyze the declassified documents and data in the public domain, explain the political and strategic objectives of the key players at the time, and argue why a mysterious flash 40 years ago still matters today.

The Carter administration was so afraid to enforce the PTBT against Israel’s 1979 violation that it did what it could to erase or keep hidden evidence of its detection of a test. Subsequent administrations, Republican and Democratic alike, went along with this, and the U.S. government still pretends it knows nothing about any Israeli nuclear weapons.

Imagine that
Go Figure.

Blast From the Past

Nuclear proliferation was just one of the Carter administration’s headaches in late 1979. The president was dealing with a slew of foreign-policy dilemmas, including the build-up to what would become the Iran hostage crisis. Carter was also preparing for a reelection campaign in which he had hoped to showcase his foreign-policy successes, from brokering Israeli-Egyptian peace to successful arms control talks with Moscow. The possibility that Israel or South Africa, which had deep clandestine defense ties at the time, had tested a nuclear weapon threatened to tarnish that legacy. And the fact that South Africa’s own nuclear weapons program, which the Carter administration was seeking to stop, was not yet sufficiently advanced to test such a weapon left just one prime suspect: Israel. Leading figures within the administration were therefore keen to bury the story and put forward alternative explanations.

Foreign Policy

Imagine that

The Carter administration was so afraid to enforce the PTBT against Israel’s 1979 violation

When did Israel become a signatory to that treaty?

You can not view this without remembering were we were as a nation and where the world was at that time in history...this is what is problematic about looking back at pin point instances in time without the proper perspective...We were trying to free hostages from Iran at that time and dealing with middle east terrorism....
If you ask me our nation wanted Israel to be a nuclear armed nation and probable aided them.....and I'm glad we did....and so should you...

Blast From the Past

Foreign Policy

Imagine that

even I know about Israel's nuclear weapons----is there anyone in the world that does not know? You got a
link to the proof that the 1979 test was of an Israeli
bomb?
You got something other than islamo-nazi propagandaist Stephen Kinzer or a printout of the
latest khutbah jumaat feces fling

• Banned
If you ask me our nation wanted Israel to be a nuclear armed nation and probable aided them.....and I'm glad we did....and so should you...
I don't remember asking you- so, there is that, and let me add, you don't get to tell me what I should or shouldn't do- the hypocrisy is appalling-

• Banned
is there anyone in the world that does not know? You got a
bomb?
What difference would it make? I posted a link that the story came from and you likely didn't read it-

I don't remember asking you- so, there is that, and let me add, you don't get to tell me what I should or shouldn't do- the hypocrisy is appalling-
I wasn't talking to you first of all...I was speaking generically....but to think the world would be a better place with a defeated Israel is silly...so I'm glad they have nukes....

but to think the world would be a better place with a defeated Israel is silly...
To think that the US has the authority to tell who what they can have is stupid- I'll take silly any day. Thanks.

You can not view this without remembering were we were as a nation and where the world was at that time in history...this is what is problematic about looking back at pin point instances in time without the proper perspective...We were trying to free hostages from Iran at that time and dealing with middle east terrorism....

at that time there was a program in place for, SEPARATE issues, fostered by the islamo-nazis of the world, to boycott all of Israel's trade. It is the same
as the current day islamo-nazi BDS designed to
accomplish the islamo nazi favorite form of population
control---to wit Starvation Siege (remember Biafrra?
remember starving hindus dropping in their tracks
as they fled East Pakistan? ) Lots of nations
ALSO, at that time, joined a boycott in protest
of South Africa's Apartheid. Israel and South Africa
did manage to trade with each other--a survival
technique. The islamo-nazis presented that trade
as a BLOOD LIBEL. Even the kids were chirping
that Khutbah Jumaat bullshit. I first heard about it from muslims in the 1960's------sister decade to 2020

is there anyone in the world that does not know? You got a
bomb?
What difference would it make? I posted a link that the story came from and you likely didn't read it-

In fact I did read you islamo nazi propaganda lifted from "the guardian" -----pure conjecture

at that time there was a program in place for, SEPARATE issues, fostered by the islamo-nazis of the world, to boycott all of Israel's trade. It is the same
as the current day islamo-nazi BDS designed to
accomplish the islamo nazi favorite form of population
control---to wit Starvation Siege (remember Biafrra?
remember starving hindus dropping in their tracks
as they fled East Pakistan? ) Lots of nations
ALSO, at that time, joined a boycott in protest
of South Africa's Apartheid. Israel and South Africa
did manage to trade with each other--a survival
technique. The islamo-nazis presented that trade
as a BLOOD LIBEL. Even the kids were chirping
that Khutbah Jumaat bullshit. I first heard about it from muslims in the 1960's------sister decade to 2020
Very interesting post...

Blast From the Past

Foreign Policy

Imagine that

All that matters is that Israel has nuclear weapons and it is good that everyone knows it.

Especially.....Iran who no doubt would already have launched a war against Israel if they did not know it would be suicidal due to the fact that Israel would nuke them if it was needed.

Thus Iran realizes there is no way they can win a war against Israel...so now they stupidly think if they can get nukes then they can defeat Israel.....very stupid of them...Israel has already told them they will not be allowed to get nukes....but let them waste their money trying to get nukes....when they get close Israel will launch an attack to knock out their nuclear program.

The more money Iran wastes on trying to get nuclear weapons the less they have to spend on terrorism....which is the only real threat they have.

but to think the world would be a better place with a defeated Israel is silly...
To think that the US has the authority to tell who what they can have is stupid- I'll take silly any day. Thanks.
That policy has kept the USA in the lead position in global political economics and military power since the 2nd world war...would you rather be 2nd best as a nation?...you better think before you answer that....because Biden just may take us there....Id rather look down and see China Iran NK and Russia than to look up and see them....for example....

Forum List

Back