Black woman, shot to death while seeking help after a car accident

Hey Asclepias, I bet it was your history teacher you hit

I had a debate about this a long time ago, and call it the "cliffhanger scenario". Are people morally obligated to be sensitive enough to help those stuck in dire straits. It's a dilemma because you're worried about careful people getting exploited to help others living careless lifestyles. For example, someone could have gotten in a car accident from speeding around a curve in the road that shouldn't be sped around.

Ideally, this shooting wouldn't have happened because the shooter would live in a trustworthy community where people unite around common values such that when emergencies happen, they can trust that victims evaluated the situation according to common sense.

Maybe if youth, blacks, and women weren't associated with liberalism, and liberalism wasn't associated with being anti-religious, this wouldn't have happened. In a religious society (with only one faith), people unite around common values and can trust each other.

Unfortunately, that's not the case, so accidents will happen, especially since so many people believe in "pragmatism" instead as a basis for common values despite how what's pragmatic isn't common.

Have you lost your mind? A nineteen year old woman is dead because some yahoo with a loaded gun decided to OPEN his locked door and SHOOT her in the BACK OF THE HEAD instead of simply NOT opening the door and calling the police - FOR her, one would hope.
[MENTION=18990]Barb[/MENTION]

No. A nineteen year old woman is dead because of anti-intellectualism oversimplifying how people don't know in advance of experience whether or not others are trustworthy.

I had a debate about this a long time ago, and call it the "cliffhanger scenario". Are people morally obligated to be sensitive enough to help those stuck in dire straits. It's a dilemma because you're worried about careful people getting exploited to help others living careless lifestyles. For example, someone could have gotten in a car accident from speeding around a curve in the road that shouldn't be sped around.

Ideally, this shooting wouldn't have happened because the shooter would live in a trustworthy community where people unite around common values such that when emergencies happen, they can trust that victims evaluated the situation according to common sense.

Maybe if youth, blacks, and women weren't associated with liberalism, and liberalism wasn't associated with being anti-religious, this wouldn't have happened. In a religious society (with only one faith), people unite around common values and can trust each other.

Unfortunately, that's not the case, so accidents will happen, especially since so many people believe in "pragmatism" instead as a basis for common values despite how what's pragmatic isn't common.

You should go move to one, since those scary Liberals founded this country to get away from that sort of thing.
And take your homogenized uniform dictator-fetish with you. May I suggest North Korea. They like that sort of thinking there.
[MENTION=41527]Pogo[/MENTION]

I agree. Liberals colonized America over freedom of religion which lead to things like the Salem Witch Trials after the Protestant Reformation.

Value pluralism is coercion. It forces people to assume the risk of not having a mutual understanding of right and wrong.

In fact, it was the Catholic Church which was originally tolerant of other ways of life in the name of abstract values from the Councils of Frankfurt and Paderborn as well as the Sublimus Dei.

In contrast, the value pluralism of the Protestant Reformation lead to centuries of warfare following the rise of nationalism in Europe after the Treaty of Westphalia.

Last edited:
I think I get the point but if its a result of someone viewing liberals as anti-religious wouldn't the christian thing be to have more cause to assist? Does that make religious people hypocrites?

Not necessarily.

What convinces you in Christianity that people should be necessarily assisting to strangers?

Stuff like this:

Hebrews 13:1-2
Let brotherly love continue. Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

or this:

Luke 6:31
Do to others as you would have them do to you.

I dont recall anything in the Bible saying to shoot them for knocking on the door.

[MENTION=44774]Asclepias[/MENTION]

Those are very vague citations. Do you have wider context to refer to? It sounds like you're soundbyting right now.

Not necessarily.

What convinces you in Christianity that people should be necessarily assisting to strangers?

Stuff like this:

or this:

I dont recall anything in the Bible saying to shoot them for knocking on the door.

Those are very vague citations. Do you have wider context to refer to? It sounds like you're soundbyting right now.

Seriously dude, I don't think "vague citations" will save you from the fire. Honestly, maybe that's not such a bad thing anyway.

You should go move to one, since those scary Liberals founded this country to get away from that sort of thing.
And take your homogenized uniform dictator-fetish with you. May I suggest North Korea. They like that sort of thinking there.

I agree. Liberals colonized America over freedom of religion which lead to things like the Salem Witch Trials after the Protestant Reformation.

Value pluralism is coercion. It forces people to assume the risk of not having a mutual understanding of right and wrong.

In fact, it was the Catholic Church which was originally tolerant of other ways of life in the name of abstract values from the Councils of Frankfurt and Paderborn as well as the Sublimus Dei.

In contrast, the value pluralism of the Protestant Reformation lead to centuries of warfare following the rise of nationalism in Europe after the Treaty of Westphalia.

Welcome to our county. Please learn our history. Here comes a free lesson.

Those Liberals founded this country a century AFTER Salem. Matter of fact I was just there a few weeks ago. That's exactly the kind of shit they were creatng a haven from. That, and four hundred years of religious persecution preceding it, and it was still a fresh memory when they wrote our Constitution. That's exactly why the First Amendment reads as it does.

And by the way, about that "tolerant of other ways of life" Catholic church--- go tell that to the Cathars.
Oh wait, you can't do that. They're were exterminated by that "tolerant" church for having an alternate way of life.

You're welcome. Go in peace.

Last edited:
Not necessarily.

Stuff like this:

or this:

You should probably be more specific with your question then. Christians refer to the Bible for spiritual education and enlightenment don't they?

Stuff like this:

or this:

You should probably be more specific with your question then. Christians refer to the Bible for spiritual education and enlightenment don't they?

Luke 11:21 ESV

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are safe;

I dont see anything in reference to the treatment of strangers in your post. Did you miss that in following the conversation?

Those Liberals founded this country a century AFTER Salem. Matter of fact I was just there a few weeks ago. That's exactly the kind of shit they were creatng a haven from. That, and four hundred years of religious persecution preceding it, and it was still a fresh memory when they wrote our Constitution. That's exactly why the First Amendment reads as it does.

And by the way, about that "tolerant of other ways of life" Catholic church--- go tell that to the Cathars.
Oh wait, you can't do that. They're were exterminated by that "tolerant" church for having an alternate way of life.

That's an interesting example you bring up because the Cathars were just like the Puritans who conducted the Salem Witch Trials in the first place. They believed in asceticism where people were expected not to enjoy their graces, but rather they had to suffer in performing good works among the approval of their peers to prove they overcame the natural evil of the real world.

I'm not sure what you're talking about when it comes to liberals pertaining to freedom of religion, but what I am familiar with is modern liberalism comes from the Social Gospel's Protestant Work Ethic during the Progressive Era which is the same idea which established the Salem Witch Trials in the first place.

That's an interesting example you bring up because the Cathars were just like the Puritans who conducted the Salem Witch Trials in the first place. They believed in asceticism where people were expected not to enjoy their graces, but rather they had to suffer in performing good works among the approval of their peers to prove they overcame the natural evil of the real world.

I'm not sure what you're talking about when it comes to liberals pertaining to freedom of religion, but what I am familiar with is modern liberalism comes from the Social Gospel's Protestant Work Ethic during the Progressive Era which is the same idea which established the Salem Witch Trials in the first place.

Uh... yeah OK :cuckoo:

As I said... welcome to our country, please learn our history.

And somebody, somewhere, tell me what the fuck any of this has to do with a girl getting shot in the face. Or even with the general forum of race relations.
BTW I think this topic is misplaced in Race Relations, unless it's established that race was a factor. It isn't established.

Last edited:
Are you OK?

I didn't say I was unfamiliar with your history. I said I'm not sure with what you're talking about.

What values are you trying to derive from the facts at hand, and how are you deriving them?

I dont see anything in reference to the treatment of strangers in your post. Did you miss that in following the conversation?

The verse you quoted wasn't specifically about strangers nor is mine specifically about acquaintances.

The verse you quoted wasn't specifically about strangers nor is mine specifically about acquaintances.

Ok that makes sense. You somehow skipped over the first one with the word stranger in it. i will requote for you.

Let brotherly love continue. Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

Ok that makes sense. You somehow skipped over the first one with the word stranger in it. i will requote for you.

I admit I didn't see that verse.

However, the context of that verse is about being hospitable toward strangers because you never know if he is a messenger of God.

I admit I didn't see that verse.

However, the context of that verse is about being hospitable toward strangers because you never know if he is a messenger of God.

Thats correct. My answer was in context with the question. I was answering this question from another poster.

Not necessarily.

Last edited:

Uh... yeah OK :cuckoo:

As I said... welcome to our country, please learn our history.

Actually, you said "welcome to our county," which is odd unless you happen to know that the two of you live in the same county.

Forum List

Back