Black professor gets hate mail after revealing cops do NOT shoot at Blacks more than Whites

From your link:

The study found that police were more than twice as likely to manhandle, beat or use some other kind of nonfatal force against blacks and Hispanics than against people of other races. However, the data also determined that officers were 23.8 percent less likely to shoot at blacks and 8.5 percent less likely to shoot at Hispanics than they were to shoot at whites.

So the obvious conclusion is that there is clearly racial bias...however it is not exhibited in the shooting stats...just all the other forms of physical abuse. I do have some curiosity as to why this professor stepped so far out of his area of expertise, he's an economics guy, after all. I wonder if he considered the correlation between income and police abuse.
Anyway, his study in no way shows that there is no racial bias in policing in the Houston area, quite the opposite.

Certainly, one cannot really draw any wide-ranging conclusions based on one small study by someone who does not have a proven competence in this field~

FYI..this same professor was suspended for two years from Harvard for sexual abuse~
Does it show why they are more likely? Perhaps being combative, non compliant, threatening? Too many variables to consider

So if more whites are getting shot why aren't we seeing the threads about high white crime or the lectures telling whites to stop resisting arrests? Or is this thread just so some whites can race bait when a black person talks about getting shot by police at 3 times the rate of our population? Because it's funny how per capita doesn't ever seem to come into play when whites on the right want to dismiss racism.
Because you defend blacks getting shot and blame whites. Not many whites defend other whites who commit violent crimes. They all deserve to be punished.

From your link:

The study found that police were more than twice as likely to manhandle, beat or use some other kind of nonfatal force against blacks and Hispanics than against people of other races. However, the data also determined that officers were 23.8 percent less likely to shoot at blacks and 8.5 percent less likely to shoot at Hispanics than they were to shoot at whites.
So the darker the skin, the less likely to be shot? Isn’t the simplest explanation that whites make the most visible targets, then browns, then blacks? Unless the black guy smiles and who the heck smiles when a racially bias police officer is shooting at them?

I’ll bet if the took out night shootings, the numbers would even up.
So the obvious conclusion is that there is clearly racial bias...however it is not exhibited in the shooting stats...just all the other forms of physical abuse. I do have some curiosity as to why this professor stepped so far out of his area of expertise, he's an economics guy, after all. I wonder if he considered the correlation between income and police abuse.
All kinds of reasons and economist might be interested in someone like that. Maybe the economics of black fatherlessness. Maybe he was hoping to show that a large part of the fatherlessness is caused by biased police officers shooting at black males.
Anyway, his study in no way shows that there is no racial bias in policing in the Houston area, quite the opposite.

Certainly, one cannot really draw any wide-ranging conclusions based on one small study by someone who does not have a proven competence in this field~
I agree, other than the part about competence in the field. Research is research, and if he’s a competent, economics researcher, then he is fully qualified to research on a topic like that.

But more importantly, the way you just posted is the proper way to argue about such a study. Not with death rats with stochastic terrorism, with cancel culture, nor all the other ways that the left seeks to silence dissent.
FYI..this same professor was suspended for two years from Harvard for sexual abuse~
like that for example. Whatever you may, or may not have done, Harvard seems to believe that he is still worthy to be an economics professor. Unless you’re going to tell us that Harvard lowered their standards, just because he was black, we have to assume he was a highly competent researcher. Especially since we know, he didn’t plagiarize all this, because, whoever he plagiarized it from would’ve already been attacked.

On the other hand, if there was evidence that he had lied about this sexual abuse, then that would be reason never to trust any of his work again. I’m sure you would agree that a person who lies about sex, is not to be trusted in their professional capacity.

Fascists/Leninists (different side, same coin) aren't interested in the truth. They live on lies and propaganda. They just move on to the next piece of propaganda knowing useful idiots buy into them.

Harvard Economics Professor Roland Fryer, who is black, published a study some seven years ago to see if a racial bias in policing exists. He spoke to Barie Weiss last week about the results, which concluded that there's "no evidence of racial bias in police shootings."

In fact, Fryer's study found that officers are 23.8 percent more likely to shoot at a white person than a black person. It's unclear exactly why this data point didn't tilt the study to suggest there is a racial bias against white citizens.

Nonetheless, any sane society would've been relieved to hear their skin color is unlikely to play a role in how they are treated by a police officer.

But not this society.

Fryer tells Weiss that "all hell broke loose" after he published the study. He said the reaction upended his life. He received the first of many threats just four minutes after publication.

"I had colleagues take me to the side and say, 'Don't publish this. You'll ruin your career,'" Fryer explained.

The threats mounted to such a height that he and his family had to live under police protection for over a month. He could no longer go to the store to buy needs for his seven-day-old daughter without protection.

"I was going to the grocery store to get diapers with the armed guard. It was crazy. It was really, truly crazy," he said.

Because you defend blacks getting shot and blame whites. Not many whites defend other whites who commit violent crimes. They all deserve to be punished.
From my experience when a white criminal gets beaten or shot by the cops, most white people’s default position is that he probably deserved it. I’ve had cops point guns at me twice, one was clearly my fault. It was the first time I was ever pulled over, I opened my car door and stepped out while reaching into my back pocket for my wallet. My mistake and it could have been fatal if I hadn’t exactly followed the cop’s orders. The second time I was pulled over on the freeway at three am by four cop cars; all had guns drawn, again it could have gone very badly if I hadn’t followed orders. It turns out after nearly an hour at the side of the freeway in cuffs, that they were looking for a murder suspect that drove the same make and model car I did. I was able to establish who I was and what I was doing out that late and was released with an apology. If I had acted like an ass , I would have spent the night in jail waiting to be identified. Regardless of race, if you act like a jackass, the cops will treat you like a jackass.

It appears that people purposefully misrepresented the mans finding.

Harvard professor says ‘all hell broke loose’ when his study found no racial bias in police shootings

A Harvard University economist found that although police nationwide are more likely to use nonfatal force against blacks and Hispanics, that racial bias didn't translate to the use of deadly force by officers in Houston...

But it was the Fryer's assertion that Houston police data showed "no racial differences in officer-involved shootings" in the nation's fourth largest city that raised eyebrows. The study, published by the National Bureau of Economic Research, found that Houston officers were 23.8 percent less likely to shoot at blacks and 8.5 percent less likely to shoot at Hispanics than they were to shoot at whites.

For his study, Fryer collected data about police-involved shootings from 10 law enforcement agencies — Houston, Dallas, Austin, Los Angeles County and six cities or counties in Florida. Although he drew some conclusions from all 10 data sets, Fryer relied mainly on Houston's because it was the most complete. The police department gave him unprecedented access to incident reports and other data regarding officer-involved shootings and arrests for crimes such as aggravated assault in which officers could have used lethal force, but didn't.

Of the 507 officer-involved shootings in Houston from 2000 through 2015, 52 percent involved black civilians, 33 percent involved Hispanics and 14 percent involved whites or people of other races.

Blacks make up about 24 percent of Houston's population — Hispanics make up about 44 percent and whites 26 percent..

www.foxnews.com/world/study-on-role-of-racial-bias-against-hispanics-blacks-in-police-shootings-sparks-debate

So the findings of what happens in Houston was dishonestly conflated by the right in order to make claims that police bias against blacks and Hispanics did not exist. So maybe in HOUSTON there is no such bias, but in all of America there is.

Even Fryer stated that his findings should not be conflated as it has been here.

"Fryer, who last year became the first African American to win a prestigious award given to the top U.S. economist under the age of 40, also cautioned that his findings shouldn't be seen as evidence of broader national trends."

It appears that people purposefully misrepresented the mans finding.

Harvard professor says ‘all hell broke loose’ when his study found no racial bias in police shootings

A Harvard University economist found that although police nationwide are more likely to use nonfatal force against blacks and Hispanics, that racial bias didn't translate to the use of deadly force by officers in Houston...

But it was the Fryer's assertion that Houston police data showed "no racial differences in officer-involved shootings" in the nation's fourth largest city that raised eyebrows. The study, published by the National Bureau of Economic Research, found that Houston officers were 23.8 percent less likely to shoot at blacks and 8.5 percent less likely to shoot at Hispanics than they were to shoot at whites.

For his study, Fryer collected data about police-involved shootings from 10 law enforcement agencies — Houston, Dallas, Austin, Los Angeles County and six cities or counties in Florida. Although he drew some conclusions from all 10 data sets, Fryer relied mainly on Houston's because it was the most complete. The police department gave him unprecedented access to incident reports and other data regarding officer-involved shootings and arrests for crimes such as aggravated assault in which officers could have used lethal force, but didn't.

Of the 507 officer-involved shootings in Houston from 2000 through 2015, 52 percent involved black civilians, 33 percent involved Hispanics and 14 percent involved whites or people of other races.

Blacks make up about 24 percent of Houston's population — Hispanics make up about 44 percent and whites 26 percent..

www.foxnews.com/world/study-on-role-of-racial-bias-against-hispanics-blacks-in-police-shootings-sparks-debate

So the findings of what happens in Houston was dishonestly conflated by the right in order to make claims that police bias against blacks and Hispanics did not exist. So maybe in HOUSTON there is no such bias, but in all of America there is.

Even Fryer stated that his findings should not be conflated as it has been here.

"Fryer, who last year became the first African American to win a prestigious award given to the top U.S. economist under the age of 40, also cautioned that his findings shouldn't be seen as evidence of broader national trends."
Obviously, Black people have a culture of criminality more than others. MSN

Obviously, Black people have a culture of criminality more than others. MSN
I really think that people who are going to vote for a convicted fraudster with 91 felony counts to be the president of this country should not talk about anyone else's culture of criminality.

Wow..

I hate to sound like my grandfather

but What's the world coming to?

It's getting so TRUTH is a 4 letter word, punishable by jail time or some equivalent
It's amazing how real facts bother people

It's amazing how real facts bother people
Yes, real facts bother you immensely.

I really think that people who are going to vote for a convicted fraudster with 91 felony counts to be the president of this country should not talk about anyone else's culture of criminality.
Fake. If democrats weren't scared to death of Trump they wouldn't be trying to destroy him.

Trump is destroying the Democrat agenda. That's the problem for Democrats. They're going to lose more Black votes than ever this time.
LOL. Stop being white thinking you can tell a black man how blacks are going to vote. Blacks will choose to stay home before they vote for trump.

Because white crime rates are far lower than your feral 'bruthas', that's why. I realize you're stupid and just don't have any common sense, but it your 'brutha's' murdering each other at high rates while fake con artists like yourself just moan and cry about Whitey, as if it's white peoples' fault your 'bruthas' are violent feral pieces of shit. That's lot easier than you lifting a finger to change your pwn 'culture' and risking anything to change its dead end direction. You don't actually care about your 'people', just lining your own pockets and laughing at the idiots who fall for your BS. Your giant wall size poster of Al Sharpton tells the whole story.
Apparently this is not a racist screed.

LOL. Stop being white thinking you can tell a black man how blacks are going to vote. Blacks will choose to stay home before they vote for trump.
Joe Biden: "If you don't vote for me then you ain't Black".

Isn't Sleepy Joe a White man?

Last edited:

Wow..

I hate to sound like my grandfather

but What's the world coming to?

It's getting so TRUTH is a 4 letter word, punishable by jail time or some equivalent
Heard this guy on Honestly with Bari Weiss last week where he talks about this study and the reaction to it among other interesting information about his life and career.

Definately worth a listen...

I'm inclined to believe that his study wasn't flawed, and it is Harvard that is doing data manipulation to protect their political agenda, especially given that bullshit they did with their last disgraced president.

Hell, he didn't even believe his results, he double checked them. His bias started out against the police. He went out in the field and did work, did the folks doing data manipulation to "debunk," his work? I doubt it.

They are motivated by their cognitive bias, trying to protect their critical theory turf.

He addresses this around the twenty minute mark.

Economist Roland Fryer on Adversity, Race, and Refusing to Conform​

View attachment 903638
3,716 views Feb 15, 2024
"University of Austin co-founder Bari Weiss sits down with Harvard economist Dr. Roland Fryer to discuss what it means to pursue the truth.

Roland Fryer is one of the most celebrated economists in the world. He is the author of more than 50 papers—on topics ranging from “the economic consequences of distinctively black names” to “racial differences in police shootings.” At 30, he became the youngest black tenured professor in Harvard's history. At 34, he won a MacArthur Genius Fellowship, followed by a John Bates Clark Medal, which is given to an economist in America under 40 who is judged to have made the most significant contribution to economic thought and knowledge.

But before coming to Harvard, Fryer worked at McDonalds—drive-through, not corporate.

Fryer’s life story of rapid ascent to academic celebrity status despite abandonment by his parents at a young age, and growing up in what he calls a “drug family” is incredibly inspiring in its own right. Because based on every statistic and stereotype about race and poverty in America, he should not have become the things he became. And yet he did.

He also continues to beat the odds in a world in which much of academia has become conformist. Time and time again, Fryer refuses to conform. He has one north star, and that is the pursuit of truth, come what may. The pursuit of truth no matter how unpopular the conclusion or inconvenience to his own political biases. He’s also rare in that he isn’t afraid to admit when he’s wrong, or to admit his mistakes and learn from them.

This conversation was inspiring, courageous, and long overdue. We hope you enjoy it as much as we did."

Beat me to it.

Heard this guy on Honestly with Bari Weiss last week where he talks about this study and the reaction to it among other interesting information about his life and career.

Definately worth a listen...

Forum List

Back