Black man who spent 44 years in prison before he was exonerated gets record $25M settlement

The taxpayers lose again.

Seems like they always get the burden of paying the price for government incompetency while government never really suffers any meaningful consequence.
Yes, the CURRENT taxpayers lost money for the incompetence of elected officials from 50 years ago. This "incompetent" racist case is likely not unique, esp for that area in those times.

How much is 44 years of freedom worth?

How about 33 and counting for people like myself in Canada who have been given the most false illusion of freedom?

Anyone who does this, if purposefully or with malice; deserves their fate when they pass.
Did you just compare your likely cushy Canadian life to doing hard prison time for 44 years?!? Fucking irrelevant. :rolleyes:

I wish they would lock your bitch ass up for 44yrs for a crime you didn't commit and then you could tell us what a windfall it is. Pussy.

Have you called out the prosecutor who prosecuted him? The facts remained that a black man did rape the woman.

How much is 44 years of freedom worth?

How about 33 and counting for people like myself in Canada who have been given the most false illusion of freedom?

Anyone who does this, if purposefully or with malice; deserves their fate when they pass.
Forget passing, they deserve to suffer the same fate until they do pass on however considering that Mr. Long has more years behind him, than in front of him, it wouldn't be for nearly an equal amount of time.

Maybe they are probably long deceased? But I tend to agree with you that this kind of settlement is a load of shit. The detectives and prosecutor should definitely have a chance to defend and explain their actions.

Those who made the errors that landed a fellow in stir should be the ones responsible. Not the current taxpayers of the city, many of whom weren't even around back then.
Why are you assuming that these were errors made by the prosecutor(s), detectives, cops et al?

Maybe they are probably long deceased? But I tend to agree with you that this kind of settlement is a load of shit. The detectives and prosecutor should definitely have a chance to defend and explain their actions.

Those who made the errors that landed a fellow in stir should be the ones responsible. Not the current taxpayers of the city, many of whom weren't even around back then.
What he received costs basically nothing.

Did you just compare your likely cushy Canadian life to doing hard prison time for 44 years?!? Fucking irrelevant. :rolleyes:
Not compare directly but convey the complimentary experience.

My life has been anything but cushy and I fully understand false allegations, lies and misrepresentations by those in positions of power that destroy lives. Worse, it can and does continue against me without recourse. I have had ringing in my ear and the loss of hearing for 33 years and all I received for compensation was MORE abuse.

If the prosecutor, cops and detectives didn't have any evidence that a Black man raped the woman, then I seriously doubt you do either.

Was the woman raped? If a white dude raped her, then charge her for lying and throw the book at her. My guess is she was raped by a black guy. I don't know what's racing through the victims's mind while being raped. Her memory was blurry? Why won't anyone demand answer from the prosecution team by asking how unreliable evidence was allowed?

Was the woman raped?
None of us know, how would you know? Don't you think it suspicious that her rape kit disappeared?
If a white dude raped her, then charge her for lying and throw the book at her.
Agreed but I suspect they didn't JUST find out that she was lying about who raped her.

For me and perhaps other Black people as well, this incident brings back bad feelings about the white women who had Emmitt Till murdered because he whistled at her and the police admitted they didn't want to "bother" her because she had young kids. Bother her versus having someone murdered?

A Black North Carolina man who spent 44 years in prison after he was wrongfully convicted of raping a prominent white woman has been awarded a historic $25 million settlement more than three years after he was exonerated.

Ronnie Long, 68, settled his civil lawsuit with the city of Concord, about 25 miles northeast of Charlotte, for $22 million, the city said in a news release Tuesday. The North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation had previously settled for $3 million, according to Duke Law School’s Wrongful Convictions Clinic.

The clinic, which represented Long, said the settlement is the second largest wrongful conviction settlement recorded.

"It’s, obviously, a celebratory day today knowing that Ronnie’s going to have his means met for the rest of his life with this settlement. It’s been a long road to get to this point so that’s a great outcome," clinical professor Jamie Lau, Long's criminal attorney, said in a phone interview Tuesday.

"Have we found justice in this case? Absolutely not. No amount of money will ever compensate Ronnie for all that he lost, but this is a big step forward for him," Lau said.

The city also issued a rare public apology to Long.

"We are deeply remorseful for the past wrongs that caused tremendous harm to Mr. Long, his family, friends and our community. Mr. Long suffered the extraordinary loss of his freedom and a substantial portion of his life because of this conviction," the city said. "He wrongly served 44 years, 3 months and 17 days in prison for a crime he did not commit."

They said there was no physical evidence tying Long to the rape and burglary and he did not match the original description of the suspect — a "yellow or really light-skinned Black male." A rape kit collected at the hospital and provided to Concord police went missing and has never been found, Long's attorneys said.

They said the prosecution’s main piece of evidence was the victim identifying Long weeks after the attack and it was "the product of a suggestive identification procedure arranged by the police to target Long."

There were also numerous pieces of evidence from the scene, including suspect hair and 43 fingerprints, that could have helped exonerate him, according to his attorneys. The evidence, which they said did not belong to Long, was tested by investigators but not disclosed. The attorneys also accused Concord police officers of giving false testimony about the evidence at Long's trial.

44yrs for a crime you didn't commit and all it took was a white woman to say, "He did it".

Why isn't the false accuser being locked up for 44yrs? What does she have to pay?

Why aren't the crooked ass cops being prosecuted?

Why isn't the crooked ass prosecutor being prosecuted?

You want to talk about a 2 tier Justice System, this is a fine example of it.
That's good to hear.... Even 25 million can't replace 44 years but it helps.

Forum List

Back