Black History Month. Celebrating Excellence

does black history month celebrate the gang violence and 67% single mothers and 35% of black kids not finishing HIGH SCHOOL? AND 40% IN JAIL? and 1/3 going to prison in their lifetime?

You asked such a stupid question, however, I will reply.

No, apparently only you are stupid enough to believe that Black history month celebrates such negative conditions that affect minority communities.

While we don't celebrate those issues, we are aware of them.

Now do you have another stupid question/remark, are you going to contribute something positive or are you going to get lost???

Power Lantern: August Wilson

Here's a very under-appreciated African-American intellectual: August Wilson.

I met Mr. Wilson when he visited Dartmouth College (where I studied) for a special symposium on black theater in the USA. He was extremely erudite but surprisingly down-to-earth. I spoke with him conversationally on a balcony outside a conference room while he was smoking a cigar after a speech he gave about a subject related to racial spectrums in theater staff recruiting.

Wilson wrote about the 'walking blues' that African-American men suffer from, detaching them from both patriotic duties and domestic values optimism. These men suffer from this emotional condition due to employment difficulties and culture intimidation, and such ideas are explored in August Wilson's strange but thoughtful work, "Joe Turner's Come and Gone" (1984).

August Wilson may not be as well known as the great Cornel West, but I think he provides a similar social boost in the intellectual arena that African-Americans need to help them advertise the marketability of ethnicity-based pop art avatars such as Green Lantern John Stewart (the only African-American member of the Green Lantern Corps of superheroes), a creation by DC Comics.

:arrow:

Joe Turner s Come and Gone - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

js.jpg

"What person of Black heritage played a very pivotal role in putting America on the moon?"

Katherine Johnson.

Katherine G. Johnson The HistoryMakers

"Johnson went on to join the Spacecraft Controls Branch where she calculated the flight trajectory for Alan Shepard, the first American to go into space in 1959. Johnson also verified the mathematics behind John Glenn’s orbit around the Earth in 1962 and calculated the flight trajectory for Apollo 11’s flight to the moon in 1969. She retired from NASA in 1986."

Shepard didn't go into space in '59. It was '61.
It said calculated the flight trajectory. Typically they do that long before you actually go into space.

It's bad grammar then.
I think its more like you dont know how flying into space works. They do a lot of planning prior to lift off so they dont have to wing it while in space.

Actually the subject of manned space flight is a hobby of mine, and obviously much preparation and testing occurs before a spacecraft is manned.

The sentence from your article is worded in a way that makes it appear that the author is claiming Shepard went into space in '59.
I'm just pointing it out.

I am going to try and submit 2 trivia questions per day.

What sovereign nation occupying 68K acres resides within the borders of the continental US and is recognized by the UN?

What state is named after a mythical Black woman?

guion-bluford-bigjpg-6078367a349a3995.jpg

As part of Black History Month, we remember Guion Bluford Jr., the first black astronaut to travel in space.

Bluford, now 69, was a member of four space shuttle crews from 1983 to 1992, logging nearly 700 hours in space. He flew twice on the Challenger, which later exploded in 1986, killing all aboard, and twice on the Discovery. Guion Bluford Jr. first black astronaut in space Black History Month cleveland.com

does black history month celebrate the gang violence and 67% single mothers and 35% of black kids not finishing HIGH SCHOOL? AND 40% IN JAIL? and 1/3 going to prison in their lifetime?
No, White conservatives like YOU celebrate that every day, just as you are doing right now!

The First African-American Major League Baseball Player - Neatorama

"Moses Fleetwood "Fleet" Walker was born in Mount Pleasant, Ohio, on October 7, 1856. "Fleet" was the son of Moses D. Walker, the first African-American physician in Mount Pleasant, and a white mother. Fleet grew up attending the segregated African-American schools of the time, until his family moved to Steubenville, where he attended Steubenville HIgh School."

1381984516-0.jpg

Last edited:
The Real Lone Ranger

The REAL 8216 Lone Ranger 8217 Was An African American Lawman Who Lived With Native American Indians Political Blind Spot

"The real “Lone Ranger,” it turns out, was an African American man named Bass Reeves, who the legend was based upon. Perhaps not surprisingly, many aspects of his life were written out of the story, including his ethnicity. The basics remained the same: a lawman hunting bad guys, accompanied by a Native American, riding on a white horse, and with a silver trademark."

"Reeves took the chaos that ensued during the war to escape for freedom, after beating his “master” within an inch of his life, or according to some sources, to death. Perhaps the most intruiging thing about this escape was that Reeves only beat his enslaver after the latter lost sorely at a game of cards with Reeves and attacked him."

483837_170191066464627_2105234335_n.jpg

By historical accounts 15-30% of African enslaved were Islamic. They of course were often forced to convert to christianity while being enslaved. This African Muslim wrote a famous autobiography while enslaved in the US that helped provide fuel for abolitionists.

Today we have vaccines for polio and are able to do research on AIDS and other viruses simply because of one amazing human being. Her cells accelerated the pace of medical research due to their immortality.

By historical accounts 15-30% of African enslaved were Islamic. They of course were often forced to convert to christianity while being enslaved. This African Muslim wrote a famous autobiography while enslaved in the US that helped provide fuel for abolitionists.

Omar Ibn Said

Omar Ibn Said - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

"Omar ibn Said (1770–1864) was a writer and Islamic scholar, born and educated in what is now Senegal, who was enslaved and transported to the United States. There, while enslaved for the remainder of his life, he wrote a series of works of history and theology, including a subsequently famous autobiography."

220px-Omar_Ibn_Said.jpg

Forum List

Back