Black Farm Workers Sue Farm Company For Replacing Them With Foreign Workers

mudwhistle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2009
Headmaster's Office, Hogwarts
Here's an ironic story. Black farm workers in Mississippi are suing Pitts Farms for replacing them with foreign workers here in the US on H-2A work visas.

Now wait just a damned minute......don't they want to get away from toiling in the fields? My wife was born in Alabama during the Great Depression. Her family worked in the fields from Sun up to Sun down every day...unless it started raining....then they couldn't work. That was the only time they were allowed to go to school. She got married when she was in her early teens to get away from that kind of life.

Now it appears that some blacks are upset that all of these foreigners are coming into the United States and taking their jobs.

GettyImages-1231093703-640x480.jpg

"In interviews with the New York Times, black Americans said they had spent most of their lives earning a living as farm workers at Pitts Farms. The work is part of a long history wherein black Americans along the Mississippi Delta have spent grueling hours on farms doing intense physical labor.​
One of the black Americans suing Pitts Farms, 50-year-old Richard Strong, told the Times that he has worked on farms for more than 25 years. His father and grandfather did so as well, as well as his enslaved ancestors.​
Strong said about 10 years ago is when he noticed farms along the Mississippi Delta began importing foreign visa workers, almost entirely from South Africa. When the first groups arrived, Strong said he helped train them. Now, more than 100 U.S. farms along the Delta employ foreign visa workers from South Africa over Americans.​
An expert on the H-2A visa program told the Times that “virtually all new workers entering the agriculture workforce these days are H-2A workers.” A recruiter for the H-2A visa program called the imported South Africans are “the preferred group” over Americans."​
For many years, [Pitts Farms] employed a majority Black workforce. As of 2014, however, this number has steadily dwindled, as [Pitts Farms] began applying for and hiring white South Africans for the same work. And since 2014, PFP has used the H-2A program to hire only white South Africans – no black South Africans – although that country too is majority black by a wide margin: estimates stand at around 80% Black compared to less than 8% white. [Emphasis added]
"By 2020, Strong said he was fired by Pitt Farms, as were the other American workers, including his brother Gregory, who had also spent most of his life working at the farm.​
“I never did imagine that it would come to the point where they would be hiring foreigners, instead of people like me,” Strong told the Times. “… It’s like being robbed of your heritage.”​
“I gave them half my life and ended up with nothing,” Gregory said.​
The lawsuit states that while Strong and his American counterparts were paid the minimum wage of $7.25 an hour and $8.25 an hour on weekends, the foreign visa workers were given nearly $12 an hour.​
As the lawsuit gains traction, President Joe Biden’s administration has expanded the H-2A visa program. This week, for example, Biden’s Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announced that U.S. farms will be allowed to import foreign visa workers from six additional countries, including Bosnia and Herzegovina, Cyprus, the Dominican Republic, Haiti, Mauritius, and Saint Lucia.​
DHS Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas justified the expansion as a way for U.S. farms to import more foreign visa workers when Americans “are not available” to do the work.​
The H-2A visa program, much like the H-2B visa program for non-agricultural work, has been proven to undercut working class Americans who rely on manual labor jobs but who are forced to compete against a growing number of cheaper, foreign workers."​

Here's an ironic story. Black farm workers in Mississippi are suing Pitts Farms for replacing them with foreign workers here in the US on H-2A work visas.

Now wait just a damned minute......don't they want to get away from toiling in the fields? My wife was born in Alabama during the Great Depression. Her family worked in the fields from Sun up to Sun down every day...unless it started raining....then they couldn't work. That was the only time they were allowed to go to school. She got married when she was in her early teens to get away from that kind of life.

Now it appears that some blacks are upset that all of these foreigners are coming into the United States and taking their jobs.

View attachment 563392

"In interviews with the New York Times, black Americans said they had spent most of their lives earning a living as farm workers at Pitts Farms. The work is part of a long history wherein black Americans along the Mississippi Delta have spent grueling hours on farms doing intense physical labor.​
One of the black Americans suing Pitts Farms, 50-year-old Richard Strong, told the Times that he has worked on farms for more than 25 years. His father and grandfather did so as well, as well as his enslaved ancestors.​
Strong said about 10 years ago is when he noticed farms along the Mississippi Delta began importing foreign visa workers, almost entirely from South Africa. When the first groups arrived, Strong said he helped train them. Now, more than 100 U.S. farms along the Delta employ foreign visa workers from South Africa over Americans.​
An expert on the H-2A visa program told the Times that “virtually all new workers entering the agriculture workforce these days are H-2A workers.” A recruiter for the H-2A visa program called the imported South Africans are “the preferred group” over Americans."​
For many years, [Pitts Farms] employed a majority Black workforce. As of 2014, however, this number has steadily dwindled, as [Pitts Farms] began applying for and hiring white South Africans for the same work. And since 2014, PFP has used the H-2A program to hire only white South Africans – no black South Africans – although that country too is majority black by a wide margin: estimates stand at around 80% Black compared to less than 8% white. [Emphasis added]
"By 2020, Strong said he was fired by Pitt Farms, as were the other American workers, including his brother Gregory, who had also spent most of his life working at the farm.​
“I never did imagine that it would come to the point where they would be hiring foreigners, instead of people like me,” Strong told the Times. “… It’s like being robbed of your heritage.”​
“I gave them half my life and ended up with nothing,” Gregory said.​
The lawsuit states that while Strong and his American counterparts were paid the minimum wage of $7.25 an hour and $8.25 an hour on weekends, the foreign visa workers were given nearly $12 an hour.​
As the lawsuit gains traction, President Joe Biden’s administration has expanded the H-2A visa program. This week, for example, Biden’s Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announced that U.S. farms will be allowed to import foreign visa workers from six additional countries, including Bosnia and Herzegovina, Cyprus, the Dominican Republic, Haiti, Mauritius, and Saint Lucia.​
DHS Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas justified the expansion as a way for U.S. farms to import more foreign visa workers when Americans “are not available” to do the work.​
The H-2A visa program, much like the H-2B visa program for non-agricultural work, has been proven to undercut working class Americans who rely on manual labor jobs but who are forced to compete against a growing number of cheaper, foreign workers."​

~~~~~~
Just updated my kitchen and one of my bath rooms. The outfits I contracted sent Mexicans to do the jobs.
They are taking jobs away from Americans...

I'm missing the irony. It's been noted that business wants to bring in cheap labor and this is simply another example of it. Were blacks somehow for this before or something?

I'm missing the irony. It's been noted that business wants to bring in cheap labor and this is simply another example of it. Were blacks somehow for this before or something?

Of course. They were for it by way of who they voted for. I mean it's pretty obvious that none of them were Trump-supporters. Isn't that the narrative from the left? That Black folks don't support Donald Trump, because he's "racist"?

Of course. They were for it by way of who they voted for. I mean it's pretty obvious that none of them were Trump-supporters. Isn't that the narrative from the left? That Black folks don't support Donald Trump, because he's "racist"?

We have been doing this for decades.

Just updated my kitchen and one of my bath rooms. The outfits I contracted sent Mexicans to do the jobs.
You COULD have hired anyone you wanted and talked to the actual business owners and knew who exactly was coming to do the work.
You might have paid more, but you must have chosen the cheaper route and you got the cheaper labor.

If you want to discuss what is happening here, great. I imagine you don't.

I already told you what happened here. Elections has its consequences. Unless you can prove that any number of those Black farmers weren't Democrats, you have no weight.

I already told you what happened here. Elections has its consequences. Unless you can prove that any number of those Black farmers weren't Democrats, you have no weight.

Whether they are or not is irrelevant. This has been going on for decades.

Let me guess.....anything that Trump did is wrong.....and anything that Biden does or Democrats do is just peachy?

Gotcha!!!
Well, I don't know. ^^^^^^^^^^

But I do you that you have been preaching the exact opposite ^^^^^^^^^ on a daily basis for the last 5 years.

This has been going on for decades.
Yes....we know....Democrats have been encouraging them to sneak into the country since the 70s.
Used to be they were just offering to give them jobs.
Then they started giving them free health care in Sanctuary Cities.
Then they started paying them a monthly wage to vote for them.
Now they want to give them nearly half a million to entice them here in even greater numbers.

New Topics

Forum List

Back