Billy Graham Purchases Ads

Why are we voting on a book of superstition written 3000 years ago by Bronze Age Savages?

I'd much rather have us vote on common sense and what makes sense for us to do now.

Common sense is what tells you that two plumb lines are parallel.
I have no doubt that such is the guide-post of your life.

Bizarro Girl, there are a whole bunch of Bible Rules you don't follow...

You don't own slaves, stone your neighbors for working on the Sabbath, kill your gay neighbor, ask the town to help you stone your kids when they talk back, chop off body parts as punishment for crimes.

In short, when you guys say, "live a biblical lifestyle", what you really mean is, "Stick to my own bigotries and prejudices and try to impose them on you by citing the bible as an authority, even though I ignore most of it."

I have a simpler approach.

Does my action hurt someone? If not, there's nothing immoral about it.

Does what you are doing effect me in any way? If not, it's none of my business.

No sky pixies, no goofy verses about slaughtering animals to appease sky pixies, and so on.

Why are we voting on a book of superstition written 3000 years ago by Bronze Age Savages?

I'd much rather have us vote on common sense and what makes sense for us to do now.

You don't own slaves, stone your neighbors for working on the Sabbath, kill your gay neighbor, ask the town to help you stone your kids when they talk back, chop off body parts as punishment for crimes.

In short, when you guys say, "live a biblical lifestyle", what you really mean is, "Stick to my own bigotries and prejudices and try to impose them on you by citing the bible as an authority, even though I ignore most of it."

No sky pixies, no goofy verses about slaughtering animals to appease sky pixies, and so on.

Here is the number one reason I value your posts....don't misunderstand: there's no #2...it gives me an inspiration for an OP.

Based on the above, I might write one on the value of morality over rationality.

Watch for it....and learn from it.

' ...you guys say, "live a biblical lifestyle",...'

Quotation marks?

Exactly who are you quoting?

No wonder you're 'Erroneous Joe.'

1. "Washington (CNN) - The most famous and revered pastor in America, Billy Graham, is calling on voters to cast a ballot for their faith in full-page ads in the Wall Street Journal, USA Today and other newspapers.

2. "As I approach my 94th birthday, I realize this election could be my last."

3. "I believe it is vitally important that we cast our ballots for candidates who base their decisions on biblical principles and support the nation of Israel.

4. I urge you to vote for those who protect the sanctity of life and support the biblical definition of marriage between a man and a woman.

5. Vote for biblical values this November 6, and pray with me that America will remain one nation under God."

6. The ad hit the prominent papers Wednesday and Thursday, and could hit a dozen more newspapers, a week after the famed evangelist met with Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney at Graham's Montreat, North Carolina, home and less than a month after his son Franklin Graham issued a full-throated endorsement of Romney in a USA Today opinion piece.

7. "This ad is consistent with both the mission of the BGEA and Billy Graham's personal methodology to diligently and consistently remain politically neutral and nonpartisan throughout his public ministry," Ross said.

8. "Against the backdrop of moral decline and a cultural shift in our nation that reflects timely issues, Mr. Graham's quotation in the ad is an extension of his faithful preaching of a timeless message and strong stand on biblical values for more than six decades.""
Billy Graham buys election ads after Romney meeting – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs

Well Billy Graham is after all a HYPOCRITE. He does relealize the consequences hopefully!

1. "Washington (CNN) - The most famous and revered pastor in America, Billy Graham, is calling on voters to cast a ballot for their faith in full-page ads in the Wall Street Journal, USA Today and other newspapers.

3. "I believe it is vitally important that we cast our ballots for candidates who base their decisions on biblical principles and support the nation of Israel.

4. I urge you to vote for those who protect the sanctity of life and support the biblical definition of marriage between a man and a woman.

5. Vote for biblical values this November 6, and pray with me that America will remain one nation under God."

6. The ad hit the prominent papers Wednesday and Thursday, and could hit a dozen more newspapers, a week after the famed evangelist met with Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney at Graham's Montreat, North Carolina, home and less than a month after his son Franklin Graham issued a full-throated endorsement of Romney in a USA Today opinion piece.

7. "This ad is consistent with both the mission of the BGEA and Billy Graham's personal methodology to diligently and consistently remain politically neutral and nonpartisan throughout his public ministry," Ross said.

8. "Against the backdrop of moral decline and a cultural shift in our nation that reflects timely issues, Mr. Graham's quotation in the ad is an extension of his faithful preaching of a timeless message and strong stand on biblical values for more than six decades.""
Billy Graham buys election ads after Romney meeting – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs

Well Billy Graham is after all a HYPOCRITE. He does relealize the consequences hopefully!

You really do fear religion dont you?

You really do fear religion dont you?

No not at all, Just able to see hypocrisy clearly.

Here is the number one reason I value your posts....don't misunderstand: there's no #2...it gives me an inspiration for an OP.

Based on the above, I might write one on the value of morality over rationality.

Watch for it....and learn from it.

Why, watching you try to handle philosophical considerations is kind of like watcthing this...

monkey-9.jpg

You are neither moral nor rational. Quite possibly mentally ill.

I read "Ask Billy Graham" every day, as my local paper prints it in the comics section. It's convenient, how each day some lost soul sets up a strawman about atheists for Billy Graham to knock down. And always in exactly the same bland style. "Dear Billy Graham, my atheist friend told me there's no historical evidence for Jesus. I didn't know how to reply. What should I have said?".

Why yes, I am saying that Graham, or his ghostwriter, is creating the questions himself. It really is that obvious. He's not an honest man.

Last edited:
I read "Ask Billy Graham" every day, as my local paper prints it in the comics section. It's convenient, how each day some lost soul sets up a strawman about atheists for Billy Graham to knock down. And always in exactly the same bland style. "Dear Billy Graham, my atheist friend told me there's no historical evidence for Jesus. I didn't know how to reply. What should I have said?".

Why yes, I am saying that Graham, or his ghostwriter, is creating the questions himself. It really is that obvious. He's not an honest man.

Does his message in the OP have import?

Um... yeah... it does.

For years and years, BIlly Grahmn and people around him have called Mormonism a cult.

Which means that they were telling Christians that the Mormons were peddling a false doctrine that could lead people into Hell and Damnation for all eternity. Forever.

Now, to me, this is a silly argument, because there is no God or Heaven or Hell, but if you really believe that there is, this SHOULD be a big deal.

So what really changed that suddenly, Mormonism is no longer a cult, and it is no longer misleading people into possible damnation?

That a Mormon is the only chance you guys have of stopping Obama from getting a second term.

That seems to me to be pretty flimsy theology. But if Theology wasn't flismy in general, I wouldn't have rejected religion 30 years ago.

To try and bring things back on course, I think the issue is that Graham has asserted for decades that Mormonism is a cult, and now that one is running for Republican presidency, he has coincidentally changed his stance on the subject. Billy Graham has been a powerful and influential spiritual leader for many decades. How is it not appropriate to question his convictions and his integrity if he is willing to overlook a decades-long religious conviction for the sake of party loyalty? how is it not appropriate to question whether or not his party loyalties outweigh his faith?

A Mormon running for President 20 years ago would have been unheard of. I gotta hand it to him, Romney is charming the socks off of mainstream Christianity.

p.s. I am questioning Graham's integrity, not that of Republicans.

To try and bring things back on course, I think the issue is that Graham has asserted for decades that Mormonism is a cult, and now that one is running for Republican presidency, he has coincidentally changed his stance on the subject. Billy Graham has been a powerful and influential spiritual leader for many decades. How is it not appropriate to question his convictions and his integrity if he is willing to overlook a decades-long religious conviction for the sake of party loyalty? how is it not appropriate to question whether or not his party loyalties outweigh his faith?

A Mormon running for President 20 years ago would have been unheard of. I gotta hand it to him, Romney is charming the socks off of mainstream Christianity.

Actually, you should probably question both.

Mormons Running for President is nothing new. Joseph Smith (Liar, Child Molestor, Founder of Mormonism) Put his name in nomination for the presidency in 1844. Thankfully, they quickly shot him after that.

Romney's Dad ran in 1968, until he made an idiotic statement about how the Army had "Brainwashed him" on the subject of Vietnam. (Funny, I thought being a Mormon, the brains come pre-washed.)

Got to use up all these snide comments about Mormonism, probably won't be talking about it much after Wednesday.. Heh,heh, heh....

Um... yeah... it does.

For years and years, BIlly Grahmn and people around him have called Mormonism a cult.

Which means that they were telling Christians that the Mormons were peddling a false doctrine that could lead people into Hell and Damnation for all eternity. Forever.

Now, to me, this is a silly argument, because there is no God or Heaven or Hell, but if you really believe that there is, this SHOULD be a big deal.

So what really changed that suddenly, Mormonism is no longer a cult, and it is no longer misleading people into possible damnation?

That a Mormon is the only chance you guys have of stopping Obama from getting a second term.

That seems to me to be pretty flimsy theology. But if Theology wasn't flismy in general, I wouldn't have rejected religion 30 years ago.

Glad you reminded me, Erroneous Joe....

...here is the thread I've dedicated to you:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/religion-and-ethics/259427-common-sense-vs-the-bible.html

I didn't use your title, as I didn't ask your permission...but you'll recognize your words.

Actually, you should probably question both.

Mormons Running for President is nothing new. Joseph Smith (Liar, Child Molestor, Founder of Mormonism) Put his name in nomination for the presidency in 1844. Thankfully, they quickly shot him after that.

Romney's Dad ran in 1968, until he made an idiotic statement about how the Army had "Brainwashed him" on the subject of Vietnam. (Funny, I thought being a Mormon, the brains come pre-washed.)

Got to use up all these snide comments about Mormonism, probably won't be talking about it much after Wednesday.. Heh,heh, heh....

I didn't think I would have to qualify the statement, but if I have to:

A Mormon gaining the nomination of either of the two big parties would have been unheard of.

There is a great error you and Erroneous Joe make, in believing that we are dealing with a theological issue....rather than a political one.

No one is suggesting a vote for a religious belief...merely the clear choice between the political beliefs of Romney and Obama.

Proof?

Sure.

Name any religious dictum imposed by Romney as governor of Massachusetts.
If you cannot....my premise prevails.

[

http://www.usmessageboard.com/religion-and-ethics/259427-common-sense-vs-the-bible.html

I didn't use your title, as I didn't ask your permission...but you'll recognize your words.

Honestly, I have to truly wonder, reading that drivel, if you aren't a few tacos short of a combination platter.

You put up my argument, and then you did everything but address it...

But since you are feeling SOOOO special, maybe I'll try to school you one more time..

[

Honestly, I have to truly wonder, reading that drivel, if you aren't a few tacos short of a combination platter.

You put up my argument, and then you did everything but address it...

But since you are feeling SOOOO special, maybe I'll try to school you one more time..

Looking forward to it.

There is a great error you and Erroneous Joe make, in believing that we are dealing with a theological issue....rather than a political one.

No one is suggesting a vote for a religious belief...merely the clear choice between the political beliefs of Romney and Obama.

Proof?

Sure.

I wasn't questioning Romney, I was questioning Graham. And you're right, it is every bit a political issue. That was my point.

Proof?

Sure.

I wasn't questioning Romney, I was questioning Graham. And you're right, it is every bit a political issue. That was my point.

Are you sure?

You did write this: "A Mormon running for President 20 years ago would have been unheard of. I gotta hand it to him, Romney is charming the socks off of mainstream Christianity."

But....I can appreciate one trying to put daylight between their position and that of the bigot Erroneous Joe.

Forum List

Back