Bilingual Toastmasters club forming

WhatTheHell2

Aug 18, 2008
STAFF REPORT • DECEMBER 4, 2008
Post a Comment
When Sparks resident Eric Ruud's work required him to live in Mexico, he said he wanted to be able to communicate better in Spanish. So, he joined a Mexican Toastmasters club

this is all good if you live and work both in Mexico and U.S.

When Ruud returned to Nevada, he would drive to Sacramento to attend meetings at Los Oradores, a bilingual Toastmasters club. It was then, he said, that he realized that the Reno-Sparks area could use a bilingual club.
"A bilingual Toastmasters club will help those who provide services to the citizens who speak Spanish, those who want to learn or improve their Spanish skills, those Spanish speakers who want to improve their English skills in an environment that is comfortable, and Spanish speakers that want to become comfortable speaking in public," he said.

To be a citizen of this country, one of the requirements is speaking and understanding English.

There are 23 clubs and more than 400 members in the Reno-Tahoe-Carson area.
Organizers of the bilingual club say it's long overdue.
"I had been looking for something like this for awhile and even thinking about starting it myself," said Aurora Boles, the club's second sponsor.
The group needs a few more members and a name to charter as an official Toastmasters Club.
"This group is a good mix of English speakers who wish to improve their Spanish-speaking skills and native Spanish speakers who want to improve their communication and leadership skills, but are more comfortable, at least at first, doing it in their native language, " said Russ Steele, a Toastmaster who is helping with the organization of the club. "We know there is a big need for Spanish speakers to improve their English as well, so hopefully some of that can happen with this club, too."
Organizers say no initial knowledge of Spanish or English is required.
"The need is there," Ruud said. "We just need to get the word out to the right people."

This is insulting to me, because I worked in providing services to citizens of this country for 30 years and have never meet a citizen of this country who did not speak English and to ask me to learn Spanish to accommodate and communicate to those who have entered this country illegally from Mexico, who do not care enough about receiving our services to learn English, then they should not receive services. This is asking too much or me.

The majority of Americans, no matter what country they are from, speak a common language and that is English.

Services should not be given to people into his country illegally and certainly if they do not feel they need to speak the common language and that is English. There are Mexicans, who have been in this country for years and still do not speak English and still do not take any interest in learning the language and we do not encourage it by providing interpretations for them.
Shame of them and not on me. Do not punish me for being an English speaking American. The Toastmaster’s Club should concentrate of teaching English so they can make our jobs of providing services to them easier. When in American do as the American’s do and not as Mexico do.

I have lived in the country all my life of almost 70 years and I am pissed when I go for services and is spoken to in Spanish or contact my phone, internet or cable provider and find some one speaking to me with an accent so bad I cannot understand or get my point around.

As a result of illegal immigration, it is hard for English speaking Americans to get a job or hold on to a job in the services industry and this is a very sad day for America and for Americans.

STAFF REPORT • DECEMBER 4, 2008
Post a Comment
When Sparks resident Eric Ruud's work required him to live in Mexico, he said he wanted to be able to communicate better in Spanish. So, he joined a Mexican Toastmasters club

this is all good if you live and work both in Mexico and U.S.

When Ruud returned to Nevada, he would drive to Sacramento to attend meetings at Los Oradores, a bilingual Toastmasters club. It was then, he said, that he realized that the Reno-Sparks area could use a bilingual club.
"A bilingual Toastmasters club will help those who provide services to the citizens who speak Spanish, those who want to learn or improve their Spanish skills, those Spanish speakers who want to improve their English skills in an environment that is comfortable, and Spanish speakers that want to become comfortable speaking in public," he said.

To be a citizen of this country, one of the requirements is speaking and understanding English.

There are 23 clubs and more than 400 members in the Reno-Tahoe-Carson area.
Organizers of the bilingual club say it's long overdue.
"I had been looking for something like this for awhile and even thinking about starting it myself," said Aurora Boles, the club's second sponsor.
The group needs a few more members and a name to charter as an official Toastmasters Club.
"This group is a good mix of English speakers who wish to improve their Spanish-speaking skills and native Spanish speakers who want to improve their communication and leadership skills, but are more comfortable, at least at first, doing it in their native language, " said Russ Steele, a Toastmaster who is helping with the organization of the club. "We know there is a big need for Spanish speakers to improve their English as well, so hopefully some of that can happen with this club, too."
Organizers say no initial knowledge of Spanish or English is required.
"The need is there," Ruud said. "We just need to get the word out to the right people."

Great points.

Well done, and I think that the Republican Party and their base should continue to express rage, anger, and righteous indignation at spanish- speaking people.

Yes. Learn Spanish. Change our ways to fit a 4th world country invading us! Yes Good idea. Continue helping the scum take over Our Country. Good job. Good idea.

Screw mexico and their language. When Im being invaded by another country, I dont learn their ways and only a traitor would.

Im second generation American and my grandparents came here through Canada, legally....not like you. They spoke english as their first language because they wanted to be American and wanted the American Way.They didnt come here to rape the system. You should migrate to mexico illegally uncle terrie and enjoy that 2 yr minimum prison term or is that your country of origin before you came here illegally??

Im second generation American and my grandparents came here through Canada, legally....not like you. They spoke english as their first language because they wanted to be American and wanted the American Way.They didnt come here to rape the system. You should migrate to mexico illegally uncle terrie and enjoy that 2 yr minimum prison term or is that your country of origin before you came here illegally??
Where did they come from?

Interesting how proudly some people are:

- ignorant of American history

- unfamiliar with American culture

- afraid of learning

- fundamentally lacking faith in America

Wrong. Why does it matter to you what a private club does anyway?

I live in a high risk fire area. I had to ask some people to put out their campfire last week. I had to use sign language because they didnt speak english
and couldnt read the signs. Yes. The United States, to me, is a private club and you are not invited. Get out.

This is insulting to me, because I worked in providing services to citizens of this country for 30 years and have never meet a citizen of this country who did not speak English and to ask me to learn Spanish to accommodate and communicate to those who have entered this country illegally from Mexico, who do not care enough about receiving our services to learn English, then they should not receive services. This is asking too much or me.

The majority of Americans, no matter what country they are from, speak a common language and that is English.

Services should not be given to people into his country illegally and certainly if they do not feel they need to speak the common language and that is English. There are Mexicans, who have been in this country for years and still do not speak English and still do not take any interest in learning the language and we do not encourage it by providing interpretations for them.
Shame of them and not on me. Do not punish me for being an English speaking American. The Toastmaster’s Club should concentrate of teaching English so they can make our jobs of providing services to them easier. When in American do as the American’s do and not as Mexico do.

I have lived in the country all my life of almost 70 years and I am pissed when I go for services and is spoken to in Spanish or contact my phone, internet or cable provider and find some one speaking to me with an accent so bad I cannot understand or get my point around.

As a result of illegal immigration, it is hard for English speaking Americans to get a job or hold on to a job in the services industry and this is a very sad day for America and for Americans.
Que?

Interesting how proudly some people are:

- ignorant of American history

- unfamiliar with American culture

- afraid of learning

- fundamentally lacking faith in America

uncle terrie...you bore me. Same crap insults and no facts whatsoever. Id say your about...what...17?

Wrong. Why does it matter to you what a private club does anyway?

I live in a high risk fire area. I had to ask some people to put out their campfire last week. I had to use sign language because they didnt speak english
and couldnt read the signs. Yes. The United States, to me, is a private club and you are not invited. Get out.
Normally, those ignorant of foreign languages add an O to the end of words, thustly, "put out the fire" would be, "Puto outo theo fireo"..See how effectively that works? Bueno...

Forum List

Back