Big Brother star Nikki Grahame dead at 38 after battle with anorexia eating disorder

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015
this is tragic! and a tragic way to die!

EyoPB-YWUAI5Yy8

• Banned
it is very rare for a child of 8 to develop this chronic long-term illness. Nikki was 16 when she started to get treatment, 8 years after getting the illness

This is the definition of tragedy: "An event causing great suffering, destruction, and distress, such as a serious accident, crime, or natural catastrophe." If a reality star's death is a tragedy, then every single death of any human being for whatever reason is a tragedy. It's sad that anyone dies, but not a tragedy. Her death is no more important than anyone else's.

Eating disorders are sad and preventable. This and all such deaths are so tragic. RIP. Kind thoughts to the family.

Maybe we should ban eating foods that contain over a certain number of calories?

Eating disorders are sad and preventable. This and all such deaths are so tragic. RIP. Kind thoughts to the family.
No they are not 'tragic.' Saying they are tragic is hyperbole, and, in fact, saying it is 'tragic' rhetorically diminishes the deaths of others who die by whatever means. A mass shooting where many people die is tragic. Unnecessarily losing hundreds of thousands of people to a pandemic is tragic. The death of one person is not a tragedy. It is sad. It is not "An event causing great suffering, destruction, and distress, such as a serious accident, crime, or natural catastrophe." Get to know and understand the English language.

No they are not 'tragic.' Saying they are tragic is hyperbole, and, in fact, say it is 'tragic' rhetorically diminishes the deaths of others who die by whatever means. A mass shooting where many people die is tragic. Unnecessarily losing hundreds of thousands of people to a pandemic is tragic. The death of one person is not a tragedy. It is sad. It is not "An event causing great suffering, destruction, and distress, such as a serious accident, crime, or natural catastrophe."
I disagree. But you get to believe what you want.

No they are not 'tragic.' Saying they are tragic is hyperbole, and, in fact, say it is 'tragic' rhetorically diminishes the deaths of others who die by whatever means. A mass shooting where many people die is tragic. Unnecessarily losing hundreds of thousands of people to a pandemic is tragic. The death of one person is not a tragedy. It is sad. It is not "An event causing great suffering, destruction, and distress, such as a serious accident, crime, or natural catastrophe."
I disagree. But you get to believe what you want.
I believe in the English language.

The actual definition of a tragedy is about one who is brought down by a personal flaw. Like Clinton was brought down by his sexual appetite.
I remember this girl and she was a bit of a drama queen bless her.
I think it qualifies as a tragedy. She obviously had some personal demons that got the better of her.
RIP

she said she became anorexic when she used to be a kid gymnast and another girl body-shamed her about the size of her butt, and she became obsessed with being the thinnest person in history ever since

"if you don't do something, your daughter is going to die" - Nikki's doctor told her parents

losing weight means you lose muscles, that's not good for gymnastics...it means you can't do flips and can barely jump even!

"i can't stand this anymore. are you trying to kill yourself?" - Nikki's mom once told her when she was refusing to eat, trying to force the food down her throat as they engaged in a shouting match

her target weight was 38 kilos (around 75 pounds), and she made that weight frequently

she was a big Queen fan and also liked Oasis...if only her taste in food was as good as her taste in music!

The actual definition of a tragedy is about one who is brought down by a personal flaw. Like Clinton was brought down by his sexual appetite.
I think it qualifies as a tragedy. She obviously had some personal demons that got the better of her.
RIP
You are talking about Greek tragedy. You are talking about hubris resulting in the downfall of a person who is very high and falls very low. This is a literary definition of tragedy not a literal definition of tragedy. I quoted for you the definition of tragedy as it is defined in the dictionary, not as defined in a literary terms dictionary. You are talking about a tragedy in a drama. " 2 : a serious drama typically describing a conflict between the protagonist and a superior force (such as destiny) and having a sorrowful or disastrous conclusion that elicits pity or terror." In a Greek tragedy, when someone, like a king, falls from a high position to his demise or destruction, that is defined as a tragedy. It is a literary definition of tragedy. Even if we apply it to real life, it is defined as someone falling from a high place, as a president, like Clinton. A reality TV star is not someone who is in a high place in society. Her death is sad, as is every death. And to her friends and family and loved ones, it is awful and sorrowful. But it is not a tragedy. If we call every death a tragedy, we demean and debase the true quality of what a real tragedy is in people's minds. Language affects how we see and understand the world around us. When we change the meaning of words to suit something base, we debase reality. A tragedy is a great and serious thing. When a hurricane hits a place and destroys many lives, that is a tragedy. When a forest fire destroys a huge forest, all the life within that forest, and perhaps homes and people, as well as fire fighters, that is a tragedy. But, every single death is not a tragedy. This woman is of no less and no greater value than anyone else. Her death is not a tragedy.

Last edited:
RIP
You are talking about Greek tragedy. You are talking about hubris resulting in the downfall of a person who is very high and falls very low. This is a literary definition of tragedy not a literal definition of tragedy. I quoted for you the definition of tragedy as it is defined in the dictionary, not as defined in a literary terms dictionary. You are talking about a tragedy in a drama. " 2 : a serious drama typically describing a conflict between the protagonist and a superior force (such as destiny) and having a sorrowful or disastrous conclusion that elicits pity or terror." In a Greek tragedy, when someone, like a king, falls from a high position to his demise or destruction, that is defined as a tragedy. It is a literary definition of tragedy. Even if we apply it to real life, it is defined as someone falling from a high place, as a president, like Clinton. A reality TV star is not someone who is in a high place in society. Her death is sad, as is every death. And to her friends and family and loved ones, it is awful and sorrowful. But it is not a tragedy. If we call every death a tragedy, we demean and debase the true quality of what a real tragedy is in people's minds. Language affects how we see and understand the world around us. When we change the meaning of words to suit something base, we debase reality. A tragedy is a great and serious thing. When a hurricane hits a place and destroys many lives, that is a tragedy. When a forest fire destroys a huge forest, all the life within that forest, and perhaps homes and people, as well as fire fighters, that is a tragedy. But, every single death is not a tragedy. This woman is of no less and no greater value than anyone else. Her death is not a tragedy.
Fair enough. It isnt something I would want to argue over. Im happy to call it a tragedy.

RIP
Fair enough. It isnt something I would want to argue over. Im happy to call it a tragedy.
Sadly, too many people are comfortable with distorting language. It's a big thing with propagandists, distorting the meaning of words. Using them to manipulate. We have just experienced 4 years of a US president distorting the English language in order to manipulate. It's propaganda. It's dangerous and even deadly. Maybe saying a reality star's death is a tragedy isn't going to cause an insurrection, but it's the principle, it's the slippery slope. The more you distort language to elicit emotion and change perception, the more destructive that is.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back