Biden can not legally cancel student loans with out Congress approval.

healthmyths

Platinum Member
Sep 19, 2011

Can The President Cancel All Federal Student Loans?​

The President does not have the legal authority to forgive student loans on his own. Only Congress has the power of the purse. Executive action can be used only when it has been specifically authorized by Congress.
The executive branch cannot spend money that has not been appropriated by Congress, per 31 USC 1301 et seq (Antideficiency Act (P.L. 97-258)) and Article I, Section 7, Clause 7 of the U.S. Constitution.

The claims that the President has the authority to forgive student loans are based on a misreading of the Higher Education Act of 1965 at 20 USC 1082(a)(6). That section of the Higher Education Act of 1965 provides the U.S. Secretary of Education with the authority to:
In other words, when Congress authorizes a loan forgiveness program, such as Public Service Loan Forgiveness, Teacher Loan Forgiveness or the Total and Permanent Disability Discharge, the U.S. Secretary of Education has the authority to forgive student loans as authorized under the terms of these loan forgiveness programs.

Without authorization by Congress of a specific loan forgiveness program, the President does not have the authority to forgive student loan debt. As the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in Whitman v. American Trucking Assns., Inc., (531 USC 457, 2001), Congress does not “hide elephants in mouseholes.”

Pelosi said that last week.

So there.
Right and she goes along with it! FACT! See below.

Call me a cynic but I don't think Joe Biden ever intended to forgive that debt! He knows it's not Constitutional. He knows the Supreme Court will shut it down. So he gets to pander to the far left but doesn't have to actually spend the money and create more inflation.
Good POINT! Ignorant voters can vote for him and blame congress for not following through. Biden gets good press!

The President does not have the legal authority to forgive student loans on his own. Only Congress has the power of the purse. Executive action can be used only when it has been specifically authorized by Congress.
The executive branch cannot spend money that has not been appropriated by Congress, per 31 USC 1301 et seq (Antideficiency Act (P.L. 97-258)) and Article I, Section 7, Clause 7 of the U.S. Constitution.

The claims that the President has the authority to forgive student loans are based on a misreading of the Higher Education Act of 1965 at 20 USC 1082(a)(6). That section of the Higher Education Act of 1965 provides the U.S. Secretary of Education with the authority to:
In other words, when Congress authorizes a loan forgiveness program, such as Public Service Loan Forgiveness, Teacher Loan Forgiveness or the Total and Permanent Disability Discharge, the U.S. Secretary of Education has the authority to forgive student loans as authorized under the terms of these loan forgiveness programs.

Without authorization by Congress of a specific loan forgiveness program, the President does not have the authority to forgive student loan debt. As the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in Whitman v. American Trucking Assns., Inc., (531 USC 457, 2001), Congress does not “hide elephants in mouseholes.”
Yet he can send $60 billion to Ukraine!

WTF!

Biden is a tyrant ... the constitution means nothing to him ... just ask the millions that lost their jobs because of his vaccine mandate .

Robbing Peter to pay Paul
Same as Trump with the wall
Damn but you leftists have no logic:

1) Trump used defense money to defend Americans from the swarm of illegals invading the country. It was to the benefit of everyone.

2) Biden uses whatever money to hand out to a minority of Americans, those ironically with the highest incomes, while putting in on the backs of the majority of Americans, those with lower incomes.

He can if he calls it a national emergency. Everything else leading up to the election is an emergency. If you remember, when congress passed the line item veto for the president, enabling pork veto, the soctus declared it unconstitutional because it encroached on congress' power to appropriate. This loan money has already been appropriated, and he has no authority to cancel any debt. Trying to buy votes. https://www2.ed.gov/policy/gen/leg/foia/secretarys-legal-authority-for-debt-cancellation.pdf

He can if he calls it a national emergency. Everything else leading up to the election is an emergency. If you remember, when congress passed the line item veto for the president, enabling pork veto, the soctus declared it unconstitutional because it encroached on congress' power to appropriate. This loan money has already been appropriated, and he has no authority to cancel any debt. Trying to buy votes. https://www2.ed.gov/policy/gen/leg/foia/secretarys-legal-authority-for-debt-cancellation.pdf
How could it possibly be an emergency to wipe out the loan debt of adults who willingly took it on?

Call me a cynic but I don't think Joe Biden ever intended to forgive that debt! He knows it's not Constitutional. He knows the Supreme Court will shut it down. So he gets to pander to the far left but doesn't have to actually spend the money and create more inflation.

He gets to use it for the 2022 midterms.

Right and she goes along with it! FACT! See below.
From Piglosi's statement, "Democrats continue to fight for strong K-12 public schools, affordable community college and lifetime learning for workers, so that every American can succeed in the 21st Century." Community colleges are nearly free already. Student debt is not due to the cost of community colleges, it IS due to universities. More Piglosi lying and trying to hide it from her non-critical thinking constituency.

All true. The problem is the Democrats run the DOJ so they can break whatever laws they want, as they demonstrate on a daily basis. America is fukked.

yeh, just another of the many easy things the fakers in govt can do that doesn't have to actually DO anything (but gives someone a semblance of cred anyway--and votes)

I agree with you after someone else's comments like YOURS show the deviousness of Biden! He is using it to gain votes for November and then when it doesn't go through he can be the martyr !

Forum List

Back