best jerky ever... check this out!

I would love to be doing what you're doing with the meat/jerky. But I can't yet. But I do want to learn, because eventually that's how I'm going to roll.

But I did get a regular strip steak. It was not astounding. It was ok.

I generally stay away from steak houses unless they're top notch.
Even then I'm hesitant to order a steak when I can do better myself.
Got spoiled with the quality steaks you can get today that weren't available to the public 20 years ago.
And of course once you try A5 Wagyu a cheap cut just wont do.
I prefer the ribeye in at worst CAB quality.
The Wagyu is great but you cant eat much because it's so rich.
It's kinda like trying to eat a whole cheesecake.

This steak will run you $250 at the least more likely $300.
The Wife and I will get a couple of them twice a year or so.
The marbling is amazing and the fat will start melting from your body heat when you handle them.

1646170555662.png

Got spoiled with the quality steaks you can get today that weren't available to the public 20 years ago.

The marbling is amazing and the fat will start melting from your body heat when you handle them.

View attachment 609254
Great points, all.

Yeah I agree. I used to get really good prices on London Broil, for 20-30 lbs like $2.49/lb. Hard to find anything like that anymore but still make smaller batches for now, some regular and some pretty hot.
What do you use, dehydrators? I have three, two with 5 trays and a big standup one with 10 trays.

I use a dehydrator and I'll use the BBQ pit on occasion.
The BBQ method uses a shitload of wood and it's difficult to keep the temps low enough so I mainly use the dehydrator.
When I do 20 lbs it takes a couple days to dry all of it.
I have this unit and have been very pleased with it.

Oh...try some top round. It's cheap and makes excellent jerky.
1646171010190.png

View attachment 609254
I have never had the pleasure of a wagyu steak. I refuse to pay that much... It's just too crazy high.

The BBQ method uses a shitload of wood and it's difficult to keep the temps low enough so I mainly use the dehydrator.

Oh...try some top round. It's cheap and makes excellent jerky.
View attachment 609259
Do you marinate at all?

View attachment 609259
I can get 20 lbs on the 20 racks I have, but loaded up....so all in one day but slow because until the meat starts to shrink the air flow is limited. 30 lbs takes longer, of course. Usually 5 racks are the hot and the rest is regular, as I call it.
Of course, all the prep work is the day before and I marinate the pieces overnight, then start them drying as early as I can wake up the next morning. Lots of work, but the labor is cheap. Ha.

When I fulfill my dream of getting a log cabin in the woods, that's the stuff I'm going to be doing. So thank you for your information! Both of you!

Dick Proenneke is my idol :)

I would love to be doing what you're doing with the meat/jerky. But I can't yet. But I do want to learn, because eventually that's how I'm going to roll.

It's really easy just time consuming.
Have the meat department at your local grocer slice the meat to the proper thickness.
But be sure and be there when you ask and you can see the actual cut. It really important that it has the same thickness throughout or you end up making expensive dog snacks.
It has to be a consistent 3/8 of an inch.
The butcher I use knows me and what I want so a phone call works.
The seasoning I posted is actually really good and they have flavors of the type you'd like.
Bring the meat home,clear a large place on the counter,lay the meat out tightly with as little gap as possible spread the seasoning,flip it over and repeat.
When done with the seasoning stack it in a glass baking dish,it will take several if you do a lot,put some plastic wrap over it touching the meat and refrigerate overnight at least. Read the instructions,If I remember correctly the seasoning will penetrate 1/8 of an inch overnight so a bit longer is preferred.
Take it out of the fridge and lay it out in your dehydrator leaving a little space between pieces,or you can put it in a smoker or even your oven. If you go the oven route set the temp as low as it will go and crack the door open. You're obviously not trying to cook the meat only dry it.

And thats it.

I have never had the pleasure of a wagyu steak. I refuse to pay that much... It's just too crazy high.

Cooking is the Wife and I's hobby.
We love to try crazy extravagant foods just to see what they're all about.
We ordered 4 of these beauties a month or so ago.
If I remember they ran just short of $100 bucks each but man were they GOOD!!!!
They ran four lbs each.

21F642B4-A56B-4124-B708-7C8C7EFF7AC7.jpeg

403B4E45-9805-4902-BB5D-437034323F66.jpeg

I can get 20 lbs on the 20 racks I have, but loaded up....so all in one day but slow because until the meat starts to shrink the air flow is limited. 30 lbs takes longer, of course. Usually 5 racks are the hot and the rest is regular, as I call it.
Of course, all the prep work is the day before and I marinate the pieces overnight, then start them drying as early as I can wake up the next morning. Lots of work, but the labor is cheap. Ha.

And once they start drying it's not too tough to sit on your ass and drink beer.

It's really easy just time consuming.
Have the meat department at your local grocer slice the meat to the proper thickness.
But be sure and be there when you ask and you can see the actual cut. It really important that it has the same thickness throughout or you end up making expensive dog snacks.
It has to be a consistent 3/8 of an inch.
The butcher I use knows me and what I want so a phone call works.
The seasoning I posted is actually really good and they have flavors of the type you'd like.
Bring the meat home,clear a large place on the counter,lay the meat out tightly with as little gap as possible spread the seasoning,flip it over and repeat.
When done with the seasoning stack it in a glass baking dish,it will take several if you do a lot,put some plastic wrap over it touching the meat and refrigerate overnight at least. Read the instructions,If I remember correctly the seasoning will penetrate 1/8 of an inch overnight so a bit longer is preferred.
Take it out of the fridge and lay it out in your dehydrator leaving a little space between pieces,or you can put it in a smoker or even your oven. If you go the oven route set the temp as low as it will go and crack the door open. You're obviously not trying to cook the meat only dry it.

And thats it.
I'm saving this for posterity! You rock HereWeGoAgain!!!! Thank you so much for this valuable information!

I rotate the racks as I go to keep em even.
You can fill 10 gallon ziplocks when you do 20 lbs.
Shits like gold so I never tell my buddies how much I made,I'll just give em a gallon ziplock and pretend it hurts.
The worst part honestly is the dogs. They can smell that shit a mile away and they wont stop begging unless you give em some.

We gotta hang out. You make that stuff. I'll make Cuban food! Deal? Shite, I love it!!!

I'm all over the place! Deal :) Aw geez, I would love to make Cuban food for you!

Forum List

Back