Best First Bike

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
My son is 32 years old, married and has two kids. He is a work-from-home journalist and frequently has to scramble around town to go to meetings and interviews. He just bought a new car, and doesn't want to run up the miles or take it into the neighborhoods where he has to go. He therefore wants to buy a bike. I am opposed to it for safety concerns, but he once bicycled across the country so I guess he knows a bit about road safety.

Budget (max) is $3,500. He will need to be able to carry some stuff - including a laptop - and I personally don't like the idea of having to carry it in a backpack, since that could be a negative factor in a crash. I think the seat height must be no taller than 30", since he is only average height and not experienced.

My recommendations are, in order:

Honda Pacific Coast (PC800) - no maintenance, lots of lockable storage capacity, great weather protection, very maneuverable.

Suzuki Burgman 400 (or other mid-sized scooter) - all of the above, plus he won't have to learn how to shift gears.

Suzuki Volusia 800, with windshied and bags. Cheap, nice to look at, good track record, and there are plenty of them available, so it will be possible to find one accessorized any way he wants it.

Other thoughts and suggestions?

I've been riding for 42 years and would recommend a used Japanese bike in good shape with saddlebags. Not too big, maybe a 650, but he will get used to it quickly so bigger might be OK. That's big enough for the freeway. The lap top in a backpack would probably do more good than harm in a spill, but I would be worried about the laptop. One consideration is that it will get less of a pounding in a backpack.

He absolutely should take a state motorcycle safety foundation course. I rode for many years before taking one here and learned a lot of useful stuff. And had to unlearn some things. Tell him to stay out of the middle of the lanes, it where the oil is, plus debris and can make stopping interesting.

I would not suggest a crotch rocket, even a 650 fairly new is stupid fast. I probably would have killed myself with that kind of power. I'm not a Pacific Coast fan, too much like a big scooter for me but each to their own. The modern big scooters are pretty good, especially on gas, but I don't like tiny wheels. If he can find a dealer with a selection of good used bikes and test ride them that would be the best way to go about it.

My son is 32 years old, married and has two kids. He is a work-from-home journalist and frequently has to scramble around town to go to meetings and interviews. He just bought a new car, and doesn't want to run up the miles or take it into the neighborhoods where he has to go. He therefore wants to buy a bike. I am opposed to it for safety concerns, but he once bicycled across the country so I guess he knows a bit about road safety.

Budget (max) is $3,500. He will need to be able to carry some stuff - including a laptop - and I personally don't like the idea of having to carry it in a backpack, since that could be a negative factor in a crash. I think the seat height must be no taller than 30", since he is only average height and not experienced.

My recommendations are, in order:

Honda Pacific Coast (PC800) - no maintenance, lots of lockable storage capacity, great weather protection, very maneuverable.

Suzuki Burgman 400 (or other mid-sized scooter) - all of the above, plus he won't have to learn how to shift gears.

Suzuki Volusia 800, with windshield and bags. Cheap, nice to look at, good track record, and there are plenty of them available, so it will be possible to find one accessorized any way he wants it.

Other thoughts and suggestions?

Will he be riding on the highway? If not: Honda CH250 Elite or CN250 Helix. Very close runner-up: CF Moto Fashion 250 or Q-Link Commuter 250. (Both of those are bolt-for-bolt clones of a Helix.) Huge storage (my Qlink's top case will take six grocery bags, four 12-packs of cans, or my FF helmet, armored jacket, street atlas, and gloves.) Low seat, very easy to balance due to low CG, parts are cheap (I did a belt, rollers, and WP on mine for about $100) & service is pretty simple.

A Kymco or SYM 200-300cc scoot would also work, though few have the enormous storage of a Helix.

You will NOT find a Burgy for under $3500 unless it's an older model and/or needs lots of work. The pre-2007's have a very short PM interval. (IIRC, valve adjustment every 5K.) Quick Burgy ID: a single front rotor is a 2006 or older. Wouldn't a $3500 Honda PC800 be pretty beat?

He took the MSF course last year and has ridden a couple times since then to reinforce what he learned.

Although I mentioned the Suzuki Burgman 400 above, he has shown disdain in the past when I've mentioned scooters so any scooter would be a selling job for me. I personally wouldn't recommend anything under 400cc because you never know when you might have to take a passenger.

He is checking out a Volusia later this week, which I think is fine. I also told him to see if he could find a cheap Yamaha V-star 650 Silverado. I think he's on the right track, so I'll wait until he asks me to take a look at something he is actually looking at buying.

Last one I saw, the V-Star has NO, ZERO storage for anything larger than a pencil! Even with saddlebags, forget carrying a laptop.

He took the MSF course last year and has ridden a couple times since then to reinforce what he learned.

Although I mentioned the Suzuki Burgman 400 above, he has shown disdain in the past when I've mentioned scooters so any scooter would be a selling job for me. I personally wouldn't recommend anything under 400cc because you never know when you might have to take a passenger.

He is checking out a Volusia later this week, which I think is fine. I also told him to see if he could find a cheap Yamaha V-star 650 Silverado. I think he's on the right track, so I'll wait until he asks me to take a look at something he is actually looking at buying.

What did he choose? I just learned to ride last summer, on an old Honda 450 custom. It was pretty easy to ride.

The problems with the Rebel are many...
It is tiny, cramped for anyone taller than about 5'3". (My 5'8" wife could barely ride one safely.)
It is incredibly underpowered, its anemic 234cc twin barely capable of 60MPH.
It's an 80's throwback: air cooled, no EFI, tube tires...not even a gas gauge!

The problems with the Rebel are many...
It is tiny, cramped for anyone taller than about 5'3". (My 5'8" wife could barely ride one safely.)
It is incredibly underpowered, its anemic 234cc twin barely capable of 60MPH.
It's an 80's throwback: air cooled, no EFI, tube tires...not even a gas gauge!

The one I had was a 1985 model, guy. You know, the model for which Honda got sued by Harley Davidson?

The more recent issues of the Rebel aren't as powerful as the model's first-go-round in the 80s. :thup:

A 250 or a 450?

They stopped building the Rebel 450 because nobody bought the things! Dealers were stuck with new 1986's in 1988...probably because buyers preferred the 500cc Shadow.

Honda Shadow 750... It is affordable, light and easy to control, and sits low to the ground. At the same time it is built on a large frame and is very stable. I rode one for years. You can find a fine, low mileage one for $3500.00. There is also a 600 Shadow, but I do not believe its frame is as large as the 750.

A 250 or a 450?

They stopped building the Rebel 450 because nobody bought the things! Dealers were stuck with new 1986's in 1988...probably because buyers preferred the 500cc Shadow.

I learned on a 250 Rebel. I moved up to a 750 Shadow. It was like leaving behind a 20 year old Olds Cutlass and driving a brand new Cadillac. Frankly, I would not bother with a 250 unless the rider is a small guy. I was never comfortable on mine. I am 6'1'' and just a bit over 200 lbs. It was too small and under-powered for me. I would start out with at least a 500 so that he is comfortable while learning.

If he buys a 250 he will want a bigger bike within a few months. If he wants to be different and ride a a reliable and comfortable bike, the Moto Guzzi 750 Stone is the thing. Shaft drive, low maintenance. I have a bigger one (1200 Breva) but the little Stone is a nice beginner bike. Plus they are really cheap used.

Forum List

Back