Ben Franklin Said This

I quit Christianity. It gave me a headache. HAHAHA!
Link?

At the age of 84, in letter Ezra Stile, Franklin wrote this:

You desire to know something of my religion. It is the first time I have been questioned upon it. But I do not take your curiosity the wrong way, and will try in a few words to gratify it. Here is my creed: I believe in one God, creator of the universe; that He governs it by his providence; that He ought to be worshiped; that the most acceptable service we can render Him is to do good to his other Children. And that the Soul of Man is immortal, and will be treated with justice in another life respecting its conduct in this.

These I take to be the fundamental principles of all sound religions, and I admire them, as you do, in whatever sect I meet them. As to Jesus of Nazareth, my opinion of whom you particularly desire, I think the system of morals and his religion, as he left them to us, to be the best the world has ever seen, or is likely to see. But I believe it has received various corrupting changes, and I am in accord with the present dissenters in England in having some doubts regarding Jesus’s divinity: although it is a question I do not dogmatize upon, having never studied it, and think it needless to busy myself with it now, when I expect soon the opportunity of knowing the truth with less trouble.

I see no harm however in it being believed, if that belief has the good consequence, as probably it has, of making his doctrines more respected and better observed. I shall only add respecting myself that having experienced the Goodness of that Being in conducting me prosperously through a long Life, I have no doubt of its continuance in the next, even though I hold not the smallest conceit of meriting such Goodness.

The OP is a lie...

Link?

You desire to know something of my religion. It is the first time I have been questioned upon it. But I do not take your curiosity the wrong way, and will try in a few words to gratify it. Here is my creed: I believe in one God, creator of the universe; that He governs it by his providence; that He ought to be worshiped; that the most acceptable service we can render Him is to do good to his other Children. And that the Soul of Man is immortal, and will be treated with justice in another life respecting its conduct in this.

These I take to be the fundamental principles of all sound religions, and I admire them, as you do, in whatever sect I meet them. As to Jesus of Nazareth, my opinion of whom you particularly desire, I think the system of morals and his religion, as he left them to us, to be the best the world has ever seen, or is likely to see. But I believe it has received various corrupting changes, and I am in accord with the present dissenters in England in having some doubts regarding Jesus’s divinity: although it is a question I do not dogmatize upon, having never studied it, and think it needless to busy myself with it now, when I expect soon the opportunity of knowing the truth with less trouble.

I see no harm however in it being believed, if that belief has the good consequence, as probably it has, of making his doctrines more respected and better observed. I shall only add respecting myself that having experienced the Goodness of that Being in conducting me prosperously through a long Life, I have no doubt of its continuance in the next, even though I hold not the smallest conceit of meriting such Goodness.

The OP is a lie...
Old Ben was still sharp as a tack at 84, wasn't he? Thank you very much for sharing.
I still haven't figured out what the OP was trying to do.

Link?

The OP is a lie...

No. Franklin was once a Christian, but he quit it in later life.

Link?

The OP is a lie...

The letter hjmick posted was written when Franklin was 84. He died at 84.

Link?

The OP is a lie...

Well, he wrote that in 1790 at the age of 84. He died in April of 1790. It's obvious he believes in GOD, but the correspondence makes no claims as to his Christianity one way or the other.

Either way, there is no documented evidence he ever uttered the words attributed to him in the OP.

Link?

The OP is a lie...

Sounds like he wasn't a big fan of organized religion, so maybe he might have said that.

Can't find it. I read it in one of his biographies.

Perhaps when he said:

" I have found Christian dogma unintelligible. Early in life, I absenteed myself from Christian assemblies. "

or

" Religion I found to be without any tendency to inspire, promote, or confirm morality, serves principally to divide us and make us unfriendly to one another. " (1847)

However, he also said

" The moral and religious system which Jesus Christ transmitted to us is the best the world has ever seen, or can see. "(1856)

In the autobiography of
Benjamin Franklin, he commented about his Presbyterian church.
He said on page 92 in the Riverside Literature Series of his autobiography, that it seemed they were more interested in making people Presbyterian rather then good citizens.
Todays church is more interested in your sown seeds (Baal's harvest money scam) replacing the unpopular word money with the harvest seed analogy, then they are concerned with community of good citizens otherwise how do you explain the rioters, being majority Christian raised?

Link?

The OP is a lie...
Old Ben was still sharp as a tack at 84, wasn't he? Thank you very much for sharing.
I still haven't figured out what the OP was trying to do.

I was trying to do something very esoteric and cosmic-convey information. HAHAHAHAHA!

Link?

The OP is a lie...

Well, he wrote that in 1790 at the age of 84. He died in April of 1790. It's obvious he believes in GOD, but the correspondence makes no claims as to his Christianity one way or the other.

Either way, there is no documented evidence he ever uttered the words attributed to him in the OP.

It's in the mail.! If your mailman does not deliver it to you within the next 10 seconds, hang him.HAHAHAHAHA

Forum List

Back