Zone1 Belief in God drops to 81 percent

I dont think there has been any major change in 20 years

I think people are just more willing to admit it…….to themselves and others
I don't know. You could be right. I kind of think people are less attuned to higher spirituality in general. Society has progressed as technology has progressed, yet as society ascends, being less attuned to spirituality does not comport with Maslow's hierarchy of needs. People seek completeness else where or not at all. I don't have a handle on it.

Religious zealots such as evangelicals are a fringe. They are single-handedly responsible for the decline of religiosity in America.
There is never any one cause for a significant change. I recommend looking for three. Here in this forum, it appears one of the reasons people chose atheism is because they were taught a literal interpretation of every word in the Bible.

A second common reason is people feel they have learned everything they need to know about the Bible and religion by the time they are twelve. It is interesting that many life decision twelve year olds believe they are headed change as they mature, but the decision they made about faith/religion sticks.

I am up in the air about the third reason. Some feel going to church or bible study doesn't reach the level of entertainment other pursuits offer.

Those who look at parishes and faiths that have the lower drop-off rates say these churches/synagogues/temples are more challenging (or demanding) of their people of faith.

There is never any one cause for a significant change. I recommend looking for three. Here in this forum, it appears one of the reasons people chose atheism is because they were taught a literal interpretation of every word in the Bible.

A second common reason is people feel they have learned everything they need to know about the Bible and religion by the time they are twelve. It is interesting that many life decision twelve year olds believe they are headed change as they mature, but the decision they made about faith/religion sticks.

I am up in the air about the third reason. Some feel going to church or bible study doesn't reach the level of entertainment other pursuits offer.

Those who look at parishes and faiths that have the lower drop-off rates say these churches/synagogues/temples are more challenging (or demanding) of their people of faith.
Rational adults know that, if you have to just pick out the good stuff and ignore the mountains of immoral garbage, then you are just using your own faculties of reason to discern what is good and what is not, anyway.

They therefore realize they don't need an iron age book of mythology at all.

Here in this forum, it appears one of the reasons people chose atheism is because they were taught a literal interpretation of every word in the Bible.
I don’t believe anyone chooses atheism
They just hear what the religious are telling them and it just doesn’t make sense

They just hear what the religious are telling them and it just doesn’t make sense
Well said.

Atheism is the default setting. For example, if Christian parents did not brainwash their children, Christianity would all but disappear within a couple of generations.

Last edited:
You mean afraid of overreaction from Christians when they find out you don’t believe what they do?
Yes, why are they so fearful?

All the news stories about gangs of Christians beating and murdering people who admit they are atheists?

The left makes me laugh, that is their main utility in my life.

You mean afraid of overreaction from Christians when they find out you don’t believe what they do?
Perhaps they already think they know what people will say to get them to change their minds--and because they know what will be said, they know it is not enough to change their minds.

What would you say is the number one thing that does not make sense? What is the second one?

Perhaps they already think they know what people will say to get them to change their minds--and because they know what will be said, they know it is not enough to change their minds.
In my experience, it has been nonbelievers who are confrontational with believers, moreso than the other way around. Though it does happen both ways. I know, because I used to be an atheist and I would not bring it up, but I would certainly not hesitate to say so. Maybe I'm the last of the atheists with moral courage, and now I'm not an atheist anymore.

It happened just last week, on a cruise with a group of people who are more friends with my wife than with me, and some of them friends of her friends. At dinner with ten or so of us, my wife and her friend were talking about audio books they like and my wife listed the bible. Her friend's sister said, "you read the bible?" and followed with "Great work of fiction."

If I had wanted to be confrontational, I would have said, "really? What part of that great work of fiction is your favorite?" She would not have had an answer of course. But why make an issue of it. I don't care whether she believes in the bible or anything else. I don't know why the OP would obsess over what others believe and gloat about being in a slightly larger minority now.

Yes, why are they so fearful?

All the news stories about gangs of Christians beating and murdering people who admit they are atheists?

The left makes me laugh, that is their main utility in my life.
Since you bring it up…

Atheists have always been ostracized from society. You could lose your job, not be rented to, be kicked out of your family……all for not believing. Muslims still execute for non belief
It has always been easier to say nothing than to admit your true religious beliefs

That is why the 81 percent number is so surprising. One in five now admits openly they don’t believe

Forum List

Back