Being Atheist At "Christmas".

Vastator

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2014
Its that most wonderful time of the year. And while many would bemoan the lack of Christ in modern Christmas, its important to recognize that the Christmas holiday is so much more than just a Christian religious observation. Not only is it a holiday celebrated by most Americans; its an American tradition, whether you are religious or not. I found the following article to be an interesting read, and you may too. After all... Christmas isn't just for Christians.

A very atheist Christmas | Richard Dawkins Foundation
"Christians simply appropriated local celebrations to suit their own peculiar beliefs. Christmas is only ‘Christian’ because ancient winter pagan celebrations were incorporated by the Church."
"Christmas belongs to anyone who wants it, and just because I gave up believing in a god doesn’t mean I gave up believing in the love and joy of family. I did not give up the joy of celebration with my abandonment of the absurd. So to my religious and non-religious friends, I wish them all a Merry Christmas or a Happy Hanukkah from the heart and I hope they take it with the true spirit with which I give it – that of the spirt of humanity – something we can all celebrate".

Last edited:
If you're an atheist then you can enjoy christmas and be caring towards humanity.

Peace to all ...

christmas-article-picture.jpg

People please be kind to the Left Wingers today.
Christmas time is the bitterest time of the year for them.

I love Christmas. I am forced to shut down and see my family. It's awesome. Everybody cooks and there are presents. My stepdad is closer to a Buddhist. My son, my mom, one of my sisters, my dad, stepmom and I are all atheists.

Merry Christmas all and happy Winter Solstice, Yule, Hanukkah, Festivus, and Kwanzaa. Something for everyone unlike the republican tax plan. LOL

Be extra good this year folks for if there is a hell it will be filled with republicans and they are an obnoxious and selfish breed.

Merry Christmas all and happy Winter Solstice, Yule, Hanukkah, Festivus, and Kwanzaa. Something for everyone unlike the republican tax plan. LOL

Be extra good this year folks for if there is a hell it will be filled with republicans and they are an obnoxious and selfish breed.

Way to inject political bias into the holiday season. I usually wait till Christmas dinner myself...

It's a day just like any other day. But, it's whatever you want it to be, just like life.

Its that most wonderful time of the year. And while many would bemoan the lack of Christ in modern Christmas, its important to recognize that the Christmas holiday is so much more than just a Christian religious observation. Not only is it a holiday celebrated by most Americans; its an American tradition, whether you are religious or not. I found the following article to be an interesting read, and you may too. After all... Christmas isn't just for Christians.

A very atheist Christmas | Richard Dawkins Foundation
"Christians simply appropriated local celebrations to suit their own peculiar beliefs. Christmas is only ‘Christian’ because ancient winter pagan celebrations were incorporated by the Church."
"Christmas belongs to anyone who wants it, and just because I gave up believing in a god doesn’t mean I gave up believing in the love and joy of family. I did not give up the joy of celebration with my abandonment of the absurd. So to my religious and non-religious friends, I wish them all a Merry Christmas or a Happy Hanukkah from the heart and I hope they take it with the true spirit with which I give it – that of the spirt of humanity – something we can all celebrate".
That was beautiful.

Christmas is for sheep who like to follow the dumb things other people do. Let's face it, most people who celebrate it don't even follow Jesus' teachings, even the self-professed religious people. As for buying stuff, it's a total scam to sheer the sheep while they smile.

It's a day just like any other day. But, it's whatever you want it to be, just like life.
Not if you have a ten year old in your home. I miss those days.
The holidays are definitely better with little ones around. The delight in their eyes is priceless. This holiday instills memories that they’ll cherish for a lifetime.

Last edited:
Christmas is for sheep who like to follow the dumb things other people do. Let's face it, most people who celebrate it don't even follow Jesus' teachings, even the self-professed religious people. As for buying stuff, it's a total scam to sheer the sheep while they smile.
Hmm... I thought it was a time to enjoy the company of friends and family, exchange gifts, and stories of the past year. And to share future plans, and food with those close to you...

Hmm... I thought it was a time to enjoy the company of friends and family, exchange gifts, and stories of the past year. And to share future plans, and food with those close to you...
It is.

And I only buy Xmas presents for 5 people. 4 kids 1 dad.

Not if you have a ten year old in your home. I miss those days.
The holidays are definitely better with little ones around. The delight in their eyes is priceless. This holiday instill memories that they’ll cherish for a lifetime.

I'm afraid that it's not as special for kids now as it used to be.... it's hard to get kids things they don't already have... nothing is super special or exciting... except for Santa of course :)

Forum List

Back