Behold the $15 LED light bulb

My LED hand powered flashlight with three LED bulbs cost $6 RETAIL

But we are asked to believe that one LED bulb costs $15?

I think the problem is that LEDs require DC.

To get the equiv. lumens of a 60Watt incand. bulb, you need at least 6 or 7 of the most efficient LEDs. (much more performance than flashlight LEDs) TYPICAL current cost of these is about $1.20 each. That's almost $10 (COST!!) WITHOUT the optics, housing, heatsink, connectors, profit margin and a full switching AC/DC power supply to convert from mains AC...

Last edited:
A light bulb where most of the electricity produces heat and not light is not an efficient bulb. Any advantage you get in winter from the additional heat you lose in summer.

Technically speaking, the efficiency of incandescents ARE at least 30% better than the government standard BECAUSE of that nasty engineering observation.. So the Fed standard is crappy and childish in it's interpretation of efficiency isn't it? Not like bureaucrates to see if installing LED replacements in Traffic Lights are gonna cause accidents in Minnesota winters because the snow now blocks the lamp. (True story)..

So I guess the government solution is to install HEATERS alongside these EFFICIENT LED traffic light bulbs eh Flopper??

Of course that is the solution. You do not have to run the heaters continuosly. Just mount a light dectector on the traffic light. The heater only works when the light is blocked by snow. Not an engineering problem at all.

To get the equiv. lumens of a 60Watt incand. bulb, you need at least 6 or 7 of the most efficient LEDs. (much more performance than flashlight LEDs) TYPICAL current cost of these is about $1.20 each. That's almost $10 (COST!!) WITHOUT the optics, housing, heatsink, connectors, profit margin and a full switching AC/DC power supply to convert from mains AC...

full switching power supply not required, just a bridge and voltage drop resistor/filter cap since the current thru/voltage drop accross the LED's would be a given constant requirement.

Hmmm..... Don't know about those particular LEDs. But the Streamlight Stinger that I use at work put out more light than a car headlight, and the single LED is less than 1/8" across. The cost of the flashlight, rechargable battery, recharger, and all, is about $70.

Stinger® Series - Stinger DS® LED HP | Streamlight

full switching power supply not required, just a bridge and voltage drop resistor/filter cap since the current thru/voltage drop accross the LED's would be a given constant requirement.

Care to sub-contract for me? Actually, you want to drive a series string of LEDs with a CURRENT, not a voltage. That's because miniscule changes in voltage cause large swings in power dissipation.. Also you need a switching power supply because you can't drop from 120VAC thru a bridge without a transformer. And the efficiency hit of using a "linear" supply approach would kill the efficiency advantage of the LEDs. Also because you'd generate a lot of heat in the process, and the supply needs to be in the base of bulb without normal convection cooling..

Hey USCitizen -- I WISH --- it was that simple... :tongue: I'd be done by now..

If I tell you guys any more trade secrets -- you'll have to hire me....

Last edited:
Ol' Fritz once again ignores that we have less than 3% of the world's oil reserves, and use 24% of the world's oil. There is no way that we can drill our way to oil independence. You want to see $30 a gallon gas overnight, embargo foreign oil.

Damn, another idiot that thinks he understands math.

You just compared apples to oranges, and declared that we do not have enough corn.

A light bulb where most of the electricity produces heat and not light is not an efficient bulb. Any advantage you get in winter from the additional heat you lose in summer.

Technically speaking, the efficiency of incandescents ARE at least 30% better than the government standard BECAUSE of that nasty engineering observation.. So the Fed standard is crappy and childish in it's interpretation of efficiency isn't it? Not like bureaucrates to see if installing LED replacements in Traffic Lights are gonna cause accidents in Minnesota winters because the snow now blocks the lamp. (True story)..

So I guess the government solution is to install HEATERS alongside these EFFICIENT LED traffic light bulbs eh Flopper??

Of course that is the solution. You do not have to run the heaters continuosly. Just mount a light dectector on the traffic light. The heater only works when the light is blocked by snow. Not an engineering problem at all.

Should we subtract the energy of the heater from the "efficiency" of the LED bulbs?

And why didn't the govt geniuses do that for calculating incandescent efficiencies in the winter time?

Also it's not a problem unless you happen to have more than a couple traffic lights in your town or your street repair budget got busted from buying hundreds of those new $300 LED lights..

Typical myoptic lefty response.

BTW: More serious issue.. In a good art gallery, monumental paintings and artwork will look like crap -- EVEN WITH -- the best LED or CFL equivalents. They simply don't reproduce full color spectrum.. Should THEY bootleg incandescent lamps and violate the law? Or are they gonna get a waiver? What about personal art displays? Pay a couple $$MIL for a Picasso and just stfu about not being able to light it?

(Again because of colors missing from the emission spectrum of the bulbs. See CRI deftn. above)

Last edited:
Hmmm..... Don't know about those particular LEDs. But the Streamlight Stinger that I use at work put out more light than a car headlight, and the single LED is less than 1/8" across. The cost of the flashlight, rechargable battery, recharger, and all, is about $70.

From your link;

High output 200 lumens

My truck headlight puts out 5,500 lumens

Luminics Titanium White 9007 Halogen 5500K Headlight Bulb with Free LED Keychain

Be serious. This ain't global warming, no need to lie about it. LED is good technology, people will choose it based on the facts.

From your link;

High output 200 lumens

Luminics Titanium White 9007 Halogen 5500K Headlight Bulb with Free LED Keychain

Be serious. This ain't global warming, no need to lie about it. LED is good technology, people will choose it based on the facts.

That's great (for a flashlight).. But nowhere near enough to replace an 800 or 1000 lumen "60W" incandescent bulb. Also think Ole Rocks got screwed on the price unless it comes with a walkie-talkie and a secret decoder ring..

Care to sub-contract for me? Actually, you want to drive a series string of LEDs with a CURRENT, not a voltage. That's because miniscule changes in voltage cause large swings in power dissipation.. Also you need a switching power supply because you can't drop from 120VAC thru a bridge without a transformer. And the efficiency hit of using a "linear" supply approach would kill the efficiency advantage of the LEDs. Also because you'd generate a lot of heat in the process, and the supply needs to be in the base of bulb without normal convection cooling..

Hey USCitizen -- I WISH --- it was that simple... :tongue: I'd be done by now..

If I tell you guys any more trade secrets -- you'll have to hire me....

You use a bridge to rectify the AC into DC then drop with a voltage divider perhaps employing a Zener diode and put the filter cap on the low voltage driving the LRD's.
You just engineer the voltage dvider/current source so that when max line voltage is applied ithe current thru the LED's is still not more than 80% of max current for the LED's. Yes the brightness will vary some depending on line voltage, but maybe not with a zener reg but even if it varies a bit so does the brightness of an incandescent bulb vary with supply voltage variations.

Yes the heat sinking is a major part of the applications using HIGH output LED's. And insufficient sinking is the primary cause of early failure of the LED's.
Maybe I will do an experiment in a week or so on this. I bought some high ourput LED's a while back to play with.

The cost usually drops dramatically if you buy 10k or so of the parts.

I used to work in electronics design and prototyping/manufacturing.

I once made hardware and software to talk to an electronic telephone syitching system in existence at that time.
And to do queries and intrepret the results.
Some squirrely algorythms were required to filter the results out.

Last edited:

I once made hardware and software to talk to an electronic telephone syitching system in existence at that time.

The $1.20 is the MILLION/yr price..

Be sure to measure the actual TOTAL power consumption of the LEDs and the supply..

The measure of efficiency would (Lumens Out) / (Tot Power in).. To get the DOE lighting certification -- it's got to be greater than 80. If you hit 120 -- give me a call.. You're hired.

Or call me for a consult when the smoke clears!!! --- Regards FlacalTenn

:eusa_pray:

If you let the smoke out they do not work anymore :)

All electronic components contain smoke in a dormant state.

What measure does one use for power in? Watts? Milliwatts? Amps? ergs?

Last edited:

The cost is going to plummet on these things as they get popular; just look at the LCD flat screens. As the LED's are mass produced, the per unit cost is going to go down fast. I think LED lighting is going to take over fast, really fast. A local restaurant put in an LED backlit bar - it is just cool. No lights in the ceiling, no lamps, just a glowing bar that gives off the perfect amount of lumens for the environment. The effect is stunning.

From your link;

High output 200 lumens

Yep. And at about 50 ft, the beam on my light is about 4 or 5 feet across. And the lights in you truck are very much brighter than the lights in my 1990 van.

The cost is going to plummet on these things as they get popular; just look at the LCD flat screens. As the LED's are mass produced, the per unit cost is going to go down fast. I think LED lighting is going to take over fast, really fast. A local restaurant put in an LED backlit bar - it is just cool. No lights in the ceiling, no lamps, just a glowing bar that gives off the perfect amount of lumens for the environment. The effect is stunning.
I agree. LED's small size, low heat emissions, and ability to delivery light that's similar to incandescent bulbs will make them a real winner. These characteristics are going create the opportunity for a lot of innovation in fixture design. Just like CFLs, cost will fall rapidly.

The new solid state lamp from Phillips which has an average life of 25,000 hours looks interesting.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back