Bedouin Villages

Shusha

Gold Member
Dec 14, 2015
Decided to start a new thread since it has the potential to be an interesting discussion.

A quick overview of the topic, copied from the other thread:

There are 39 "unrecognized" Bedouin villages in the Negev region, comprising of ~70,000 people. (There are 6 villages which have been recognized). These villages represent locations where, in the past ~75 years, traditional, nomadic tribes have fallen into a more sedentary and localize agricultural lifestyle. The location of these villages is based on complex and competing tribal relationships as well as the result of the upheaval of the War of Independence. Some of those villages (including Umm al-Hiran in 1956) received government permission to settle on that land. The villages, however, were not considered or included in Israel's long-term land use strategy and planning. It may be that Israel's intent was to permit only temporary use of the land. This land is not "privately owned" by any citizen, and is State land. This is not land which is historically "ancestral" land in the sense often used by advocates in this conflict.

The issue is that this land does not fit into Israel's long-term urban planning schedule. Israel does not intend for this land to be traditional, local, agricultural subsistence-level farming. This conflict between urbanization and traditional farming communities is a common one all over the world. It is not primarily a conflict of ethnicities -- but a conflict of technology and civilization.

So what is Israel to do? First, it offered incentives -- each married couple and each single male over the age of 24 was offered legal ownership of a 800 sq m parcel of land in the nearby town of Hura with 100,000 NIS to build a house. Hura offered not only legal ownership of land and a home, but also water, electricity, and access to schools and medical services. The majority of the residents accepted this offer. The remaining ~700 residents refused.

But, there are problems with Hura. Unemployment is high. Housing is limited by physical space and there are families waiting to receive housing from the government (the Bedouin population''s fertility rate is so high the population doubles every 15 years). There are tribal and family conflicts.

The remaining residents of Umm al-Hiran have also been offered parcels of land within the new Hiran community to be built there. Those parcels are necessarily smaller than those in Hura, because the land parcels in Hiran are smaller universally.

The residents seem to be resisting this incorporation into the new Hiran community, near as I can tell. (As I said, it is difficult to get detailed, accurate information). The residents of Umm al-Hiran appear, at least to me, to want to maintain a semi-traditional, rural, agricultural subsistence farming-bound life. The ~700 residents want individual or communal ownership of the land they currently farm, and they will need enough land reserves to deal with a population which doubles ever 15 years.

Now, having said all that, there is a tendency in Israel to segregate Arab and Jewish communities. (No, don't go all apartheid on me -- its not that). There is an element of embedded, even institutionalized racism. It occurs on both sides. Its not much different than segregated communities which occur all over the world -- in the US, Canada, UK, Europe.

So what is Israel to do? What is the solution to this? Its a complex problem. Its a problem tackled by many countries in the past and still being addressed in many places today.

Its easy enough to say, "well, just give the 39 Bedouin villages recognition and land ownership within defined and official village boundaries, provide them with water, electricity, sanitation, education and medical facilities." And I wouldn't disagree with you. But be aware that this 'solution' presents a new host of problems. In the six villages which have been recognized, there is a problem with them growing outside their boundaries, building illegal houses there, taking over land which is not under their ownership. What does Israel do then?

Its a good discussion to have. This actually is one of the areas where people can legitimately criticize Israel. Be glad to have this debate with anyone willing to pursue it with integrity.

Maybe they should evict all the illegal settlers in Palestine, and move these unfortunates into those ready-made communities.

Maybe they should evict all the illegal settlers in Palestine, and move these unfortunates into those ready-made communities.

This post is almost too incoherent to reply to, especially with no information on the poster from previous discussions.

One might assume that "these unfortunates" are the Bedouins? In which case, you have quite colossally missed the point of the post. The Bedouins seem to want to maintain their traditional, subsistence agricultural lifestyle. They do not want to live in ready-made communities. They want to stay where and how they are.

This is not a thread for poorly informed soundbytes. I'm trying to have a serious discussion about Israeli policy here.

Decided to start a new thread since it has the potential to be an interesting discussion.

A quick overview of the topic, copied from the other thread:

There are 39 "unrecognized" Bedouin villages in the Negev region, comprising of ~70,000 people. (There are 6 villages which have been recognized). These villages represent locations where, in the past ~75 years, traditional, nomadic tribes have fallen into a more sedentary and localize agricultural lifestyle. The location of these villages is based on complex and competing tribal relationships as well as the result of the upheaval of the War of Independence. Some of those villages (including Umm al-Hiran in 1956) received government permission to settle on that land. The villages, however, were not considered or included in Israel's long-term land use strategy and planning. It may be that Israel's intent was to permit only temporary use of the land. This land is not "privately owned" by any citizen, and is State land. This is not land which is historically "ancestral" land in the sense often used by advocates in this conflict.

The issue is that this land does not fit into Israel's long-term urban planning schedule. Israel does not intend for this land to be traditional, local, agricultural subsistence-level farming. This conflict between urbanization and traditional farming communities is a common one all over the world. It is not primarily a conflict of ethnicities -- but a conflict of technology and civilization.

So what is Israel to do? First, it offered incentives -- each married couple and each single male over the age of 24 was offered legal ownership of a 800 sq m parcel of land in the nearby town of Hura with 100,000 NIS to build a house. Hura offered not only legal ownership of land and a home, but also water, electricity, and access to schools and medical services. The majority of the residents accepted this offer. The remaining ~700 residents refused.

But, there are problems with Hura. Unemployment is high. Housing is limited by physical space and there are families waiting to receive housing from the government (the Bedouin population''s fertility rate is so high the population doubles every 15 years). There are tribal and family conflicts.

The remaining residents of Umm al-Hiran have also been offered parcels of land within the new Hiran community to be built there. Those parcels are necessarily smaller than those in Hura, because the land parcels in Hiran are smaller universally.

The residents seem to be resisting this incorporation into the new Hiran community, near as I can tell. (As I said, it is difficult to get detailed, accurate information). The residents of Umm al-Hiran appear, at least to me, to want to maintain a semi-traditional, rural, agricultural subsistence farming-bound life. The ~700 residents want individual or communal ownership of the land they currently farm, and they will need enough land reserves to deal with a population which doubles ever 15 years.

Now, having said all that, there is a tendency in Israel to segregate Arab and Jewish communities. (No, don't go all apartheid on me -- its not that). There is an element of embedded, even institutionalized racism. It occurs on both sides. Its not much different than segregated communities which occur all over the world -- in the US, Canada, UK, Europe.

So what is Israel to do? What is the solution to this? Its a complex problem. Its a problem tackled by many countries in the past and still being addressed in many places today.

Its easy enough to say, "well, just give the 39 Bedouin villages recognition and land ownership within defined and official village boundaries, provide them with water, electricity, sanitation, education and medical facilities." And I wouldn't disagree with you. But be aware that this 'solution' presents a new host of problems. In the six villages which have been recognized, there is a problem with them growing outside their boundaries, building illegal houses there, taking over land which is not under their ownership. What does Israel do then?

Its a good discussion to have. This actually is one of the areas where people can legitimately criticize Israel. Be glad to have this debate with anyone willing to pursue it with integrity.
The Bedouins are nomads, like the European Gypsies.

They don't want to settle down.

They want to keep moving their herds of sheep and goats around for grazing.

This is similar to the American Indian issue of the USA.

The classic solution adopted by the Americans was to put these on reservations. The land given them was really poor.

That's probably what will happen to the Bedouins.

They do not want to live in ready-made communities.
They want to take farmers and rancher out of their means of livelihood and move them into urban centers.

And do you think that is unethnical? Why or why not? What solutions do you propose?
You shouldn't have to ask.

There are two sets of Bedouins. One has been living there for hundreds of years so there should be no question of ownership. The other were kicked off their land during or shortly after the 1948 war. They moved to the Negev because there was no place else.

Israel is making problems where there are none.

There are two sets of Bedouins. One has been living there for hundreds of years so there should be no question of ownership. The other were kicked off their land during or shortly after the 1948 war. They moved to the Negev because there was no place else.

You are unnecessarily coy. If you believe that the traditional, subsistence-only agricultural ways should be preserved, just say so. Then proceed to suggest how that might be accomplished. Assuming that Israel provides communal ownership of x dunams of agricultural land to these villages and "recognizes" them, how would you handle issues of:

• reserves against a population doubling every 15 years
  • segregation
  • conflicts with neighboring villages
  • provision of services including water, electricity, sanitation, education and medical care
  • encroaching urbanization

You are unnecessarily coy. If you believe that the traditional, subsistence-only agricultural ways should be preserved, just say so. Then proceed to suggest how that might be accomplished. Assuming that Israel provides communal ownership of x dunams of agricultural land to these villages and "recognizes" them, how would you handle issues of:

• segregation
  • provision of services including water, electricity, sanitation, education and medical care
You don't really understand the Bedouin community.

Leave those there who have always been there and allow the rest to go back home.

• segregation
You don't really understand the Bedouin community.

Again why so unnecessarily coy? If you understand the Bedouin community (I am unconvinced) -- educate me.

What do you think would be the best and most ethical thing for Israel to do for the Bedouin?

Leave those there who have always been there and allow the rest to go back home.

The remaining residents of Umm al-Hiran don't seem to want to be uprooted a third time. (Can't blame them). What makes you think they want to "go home"? And what makes you think they won't have the same issues as I noted above "at home"?

I watched the first half of that video. Its an emotional re-iterating of the same things I posted in the OP.

What is the solution?

They do not want to live in ready-made communities.
They want to take farmers and rancher out of their means of livelihood and move them into urban centers.

And do you think that is unethnical? Why or why not? What solutions do you propose?
Why don't we take all of the auto mechanics and move them to a city that has no cars?

Are you arguing that Israel should attempt to preserve their nomadic way of life?

How do you propose we do that? Do we just assign a large swath of desert and say -- "Here you go"? Is that not just putting them on a reservation? What happens when their population gets so large that the land can no longer sustain them? Or if their population gets so large that they are in constant conflict with the neighboring tribes? How do we address their need for water and electricity and sanitation? For education and medical care? Does providing those services ruin their nomadic way of life? If we provide these services for them in central locations, doesn't that just "urbanize" them? But it would be inhumane to deny them these services, yes?

I watched the first half of that video. Its an emotional re-iterating of the same things I posted in the OP.

What is the solution?
Israel's settler colonialism is the problem. Getting rid of that is the only solution.

What is the solution?
Israel's settler colonialism is the problem. Getting rid of that is the only solution.

Translation: I have no interest in actually discussing the topic. I just want to point out that the Jews are the root of all evil and if they just went away the world would be better.

Forum List

Back