bcg shortage....again....

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
BCG shortage - Discussion - Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network Support Community - Inspire

bcg is the main chemo used for bladder cancer...i was to start chemo again in two weeks....guess what....no bcg...all i can hope is it comes in within the next few weeks...this is a continuing problem and there really is no reason for it....people who are in the middle of chemo are now gonna have to repeat it all over again when the bcg is available....i wont even start till they can promise me the entire round of treatment is available...

Sorry you are having to go through this.

A family member was diagnosed several months ago and has had tumors removed in 2 different surgeries so far. They are fortunate in it is the non-invasive kind.

will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
BCG shortage - Discussion - Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network Support Community - Inspire

bcg is the main chemo used for bladder cancer...i was to start chemo again in two weeks....guess what....no bcg...all i can hope is it comes in within the next few weeks...this is a continuing problem and there really is no reason for it....people who are in the middle of chemo are now gonna have to repeat it all over again when the bcg is available....i wont even start till they can promise me the entire round of treatment is available...

Can't read the link -- demands a subscription.

Are drug companies holding you hostage? Can you get it from Canada?
Anything anyone can do?

there seems to be no reason for the shortage other than merk's refusal to produce...simple as that....this happened last year ....2014 and now is being repeated....

so far i have had 2 in hosptial visits for tumors....and two office visits with small tumors removed...and one all clear visit...scopes every 3 months....a total of 9 chemos...one set of 6 and then a set of 3....the next set is for 3....hopefully merk will get started again

there seems to be no reason for the shortage other than merk's refusal to produce...simple as that....this happened last year ....2014 and now is being repeated....

so far i have had 2 in hosptial visits for tumors....and two office visits with small tumors removed...and one all clear visit...scopes every 3 months....a total of 9 chemos...one set of 6 and then a set of 3....the next set is for 3....hopefully merk will get started again
Strollingbones, hang in there. According to the link I posted, depending on when it was ordered , sounds like it will be available by April.

Does Merck hold the exclusive patent to this stuff? Is that it?

Fucking bastards. :death:

And people whine when we rail against corporate greed...

I assume Merk makes money from this drug. If they arent selling any then they arent making money on it. So there must be some other reason. Probably regulatory.
Best wishes for speedy recovery, Strolling.

i assure you merk is making bucks here...bladder cancer is more common than most people realize.....one production company shut down but that was in 2012...

Reason for the Shortage

• Sanofi Pasteur states the reason for the shortage is manufacturing delay.1
  • Merck states the reason for the shortage is manufacturing delay.2
  • Merck states Tice BCG vaccine percutaneous for tuberculosis (Merck, NDC 00052-0603-02) is also affected because this product is manufactured at the same facility.2
Available Products

Insufficient supply for usual ordering.

- See more at: Current Drug Shortage Bulletin BCG Vaccine Live Intravesical

they say they have began to ship again....i will call monday and see if they have it yet or when its expected and if i can go ahead and book the sessions

I assume Merk makes money from this drug. If they arent selling any then they arent making money on it. So there must be some other reason. Probably regulatory.
Best wishes for speedy recovery, Strolling.

"Probably regulatory"? When do regulations change in midstream?

Think about it, oh corporate sycophant, two possibilities:
Company holds exclusive patent (or two in collusion) or
Gummint puts the brakes on "making too much" -- of a product already approved;
.... which one makes somebody money?

Did you ever discuss surgery with your doc? I know one person who had all of the tumors congregating in one spot at the top of her bladder trying to get through the bladder wall so they took just the top third of her bladder out. No more tumor.

Forum List

Back