Bayonet Bonanza!

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I ran across a box-o-bayonets today....$150.00 for all.

b 001 (2).JPG
Top to bottom:

Three P1907 Enfield Bayonets all with WW-1 dates.

CW era Socket Bayonet of some flavor....No sure of that one yet. More research needed....It could be fairly rare.

1888 P1876 Martini-Henry Socket Bayonet (think Zulu movie)

A right rough German Mauser dress bayonet.

Soviet Mosin 91/30 bayonet.

Swedish Mauser bayonet.

To be honest all I wanted of the bunch was the Izhevsk Mosin bayonet as it's not one of the refurbed ones that came in by the 10s of thousands with the refurbed 91/30 Mosins.....Very nice patina.

View attachment 736364Top to bottom:

CW era Socket Bayonet of some flavor....No sure of that one yet. More research needed....It could be fairly rare.

Swedish Mauser bayonet.

To be honest all I wanted of the bunch was the Izhevsk Mosin bayonet as it's not one of the refurbed ones that came in by the 10s of thousands with the refurbed 91/30 Mosins.....Very nice patina.

The Martini is a nice one. The rest are rather common, any chance of getting the scabbards for them?

Swedish Mauser bayonet.

Hmmm.....

I have an Ishapore-2A1
I wonder if any of those would fit it. I seem to remember someone saying that the 2A1 was most similar to a #4....or was it a #5?

The Martini is a nice one. The rest are rather common, any chance of getting the scabbards for them?
Oddly enough the P1876, while right nice, is probably the low end of the bunch discounting the dress and swedish mauser bayonet....IMA flooded the market with them with their Nepalese finds.

Original British Martini-Henry Rifle P-1876 Socket Bayonet with Nepalese Scabbard

My research on the CW era socket bayonet shows that it might be a Colt M1855 Revolving Rifle bayonet. If so it's super rare. The specs are there but I have to confirm the inspector's marking.

No interest in finding sheaths as they will all be sold next week.

I also kept one of the P1907s because it had a cracked scale and I had a new set of '43 dated Australian scales I put over on it. I figure I'll stick it on the shortened Lithgow I picked up. ;)

Oddly enough the P1876, while right nice, is probably the low end of the bunch discounting the dress and swedish mauser bayonet....IMA flooded the market with them with their Nepalese finds.

Original British Martini-Henry Rifle P-1876 Socket Bayonet with Nepalese Scabbard

My research on the CW era socket bayonet shows that it might be a Colt M1855 Revolving Rifle bayonet. If so it's super rare. The specs are there but I have to confirm the inspector's marking.

I also kept one of the P1907s because it had a cracked scale and I had a new set of '43 dated Australian scales I put over on it. I figure I'll stick it on the shortened Lithgow I picked up. ;)

If it is Nepalese marked you are correct, however if it is a proper British bayonet those never truly lost value.

I am only familiar with the brass handled bayonet for the Colt rifle. They did use socket bayonets on the 1861 musket though. Maybe it is for that one?

11085910_2.jpg

Swedish Mauser bayonet.

Good find! I bought 5 bayonets this summer for $10 apiece at a garage sale: A WW2 US M1905 (shortened with original scabbard), A Siamese Mauser Type 45 (1903) with scabbard, a Chilean M1912 Mauser bayo with scabbard, a Turkish Mauser bayo, and a pretty clean k98 bayo with scabbard. I traded off the Turk and k98 at the last gun show I went to.

If it is Nepalese marked you are correct, however if it is a proper British bayonet those never truly lost value.

I am only familiar with the brass handled bayonet for the Colt rifle. They did use socket bayonets on the 1861 musket though. Maybe it is for that one?

11085910_2.jpg
They used both a blade and a socket....I don't remember which one superseded the other.

263.jpg

Forum List

Back