Gun Show Idiocy - $950 Norinco SKS

I have seen many over priced stuff at gun stores and have also got some really good deals.

Some good deals:

A box with 25 excellent condition Colt 20 rd GI AR magazines for $175.

An Ivar Johnson M-1 carbine (most GI parts) and 1,000 rounds of ammo for $400. Not collectable but great range shooter.

A KAC M-4 rail in pretty good condition for $60.

I buy any Colt carry handle scope when I can find one for a reasonable price. Over the years I have bought six of them at gun shows and all have been $150 or less.

You heard that right. I went to a small gun show tonight. There were about 25 neckbeards, price-gougers, and hoarders set up there and the admission was $5.00. The pistols came in two varieties: Cheaper foreign-made imported .25 autos, 380 autos, 9mm autos, and revolvers in the $350-$400 price range, and high-end collectible S&W, Colts, Rugers, and others in the $500-$2000 range.

What few AR-15's and AK's I saw were the low-priced standard commercial models, but were prices between $900 and $1500. Lots of bolt-action hunting rifles because the Amish buy their guns at the shows. Lots of cut-down or sporterized military bolt-action rifles like Enfields, Springfields, Mausers, and Mosin-Nagants, but the prices were up around $350-$450. Untouched military rifles were going for much higher.

What ammunition was there was pricey. Lowest price on 9mm was $50 for a box of 20 rounds, and .22 LR was running anywhere from $60-$100 per thousand rounds. Not much reloading stuff there. I did see one single 1,000 pcs. box of large rifle magnum primers for $75, but those aren't something you'd use much. Most of the other primers were old and being sold in the 100 pcs. containers. Saw three metal cans of powder for $35, but they appeared to be old and had been opened. One of them smelled funky, which is a good indication that the powder is deteriorating. Most of the bulk reloading bullets were in calibers I don't use. Partial boxes were going for $20 and full boxes for $30-$50.

There were two SKS rifles there. Both were Chinese Norinco, one was $650, the other was $950. Used pistol magazines were also going for anywhere between $30 and $60, depending. Out of all the vendors there, only three or four of them appeared to be licensed dealers. The rest of them were private sellers, and no paperwork was required. Hardly anyone there was wearing a mask, although some of the customers were.

I spent $25 there, including the admission price. Got a future Biden-era gun ban compliant PMAG 10-round magazine for my Glock 19 for $10, and a bag of 100 30-06 once-fired brass for $10. Yeah, I'm cheap.

I took a couple pistols with me for possible trade or sale, two vintage .25 ACP pistols. A couple of the vendors expressed interest in them, but I wasn't going to take less than $350 apiece for them. One of them is an FN Browning vest pistol in .25 ACP. One of the interested vendors had one like it on the table for $500, but wouldn't give $350 for the one I had. Screw him, I don't really need the money, and I have $30 and $50 invested in them.

So here's my big gun show haul..

View attachment 427937

View attachment 427938
NO masks? That shit ass selling an SKS for 950.00 damn well should have been!

Yup, gun shows these days are vendors or private parties with a get rich quick attitude, trying to find any real deals is like finding a needle in a field of haystacks. Heck, I can't remember the last time I was at a gun show. .

Last edited:
You heard that right. I went to a small gun show tonight. There were about 25 neckbeards, price-gougers, and hoarders set up there and the admission was $5.00. The pistols came in two varieties: Cheaper foreign-made imported .25 autos, 380 autos, 9mm autos, and revolvers in the $350-$400 price range, and high-end collectible S&W, Colts, Rugers, and others in the $500-$2000 range.

What few AR-15's and AK's I saw were the low-priced standard commercial models, but were prices between $900 and $1500. Lots of bolt-action hunting rifles because the Amish buy their guns at the shows. Lots of cut-down or sporterized military bolt-action rifles like Enfields, Springfields, Mausers, and Mosin-Nagants, but the prices were up around $350-$450. Untouched military rifles were going for much higher.

What ammunition was there was pricey. Lowest price on 9mm was $50 for a box of 20 rounds, and .22 LR was running anywhere from $60-$100 per thousand rounds. Not much reloading stuff there. I did see one single 1,000 pcs. box of large rifle magnum primers for $75, but those aren't something you'd use much. Most of the other primers were old and being sold in the 100 pcs. containers. Saw three metal cans of powder for $35, but they appeared to be old and had been opened. One of them smelled funky, which is a good indication that the powder is deteriorating. Most of the bulk reloading bullets were in calibers I don't use. Partial boxes were going for $20 and full boxes for $30-$50.

There were two SKS rifles there. Both were Chinese Norinco, one was $650, the other was $950. Used pistol magazines were also going for anywhere between $30 and $60, depending. Out of all the vendors there, only three or four of them appeared to be licensed dealers. The rest of them were private sellers, and no paperwork was required. Hardly anyone there was wearing a mask, although some of the customers were.

I spent $25 there, including the admission price. Got a future Biden-era gun ban compliant PMAG 10-round magazine for my Glock 19 for $10, and a bag of 100 30-06 once-fired brass for $10. Yeah, I'm cheap.

I took a couple pistols with me for possible trade or sale, two vintage .25 ACP pistols. A couple of the vendors expressed interest in them, but I wasn't going to take less than $350 apiece for them. One of them is an FN Browning vest pistol in .25 ACP. One of the interested vendors had one like it on the table for $500, but wouldn't give $350 for the one I had. Screw him, I don't really need the money, and I have $30 and $50 invested in them.

View attachment 427937

View attachment 427938
At J and G Sales they were selling SKS's with cracked stocks for $400. I remember getting 1440 rounds of 7.62 x 39 for $75 a case on striper clips then Olympic Arms made a pistol that shot the 7.62 x 39 making the soft steel illegal over night. Dealers had to pull them from their shelf reclassifying them as armor piercing. Private sellers were selling it for a buck a round and idiots were paying it. I had three cases but saved it not because it was 'armor piercing' because it was cheap, Thank God I reload every caliber I shoot. I have bought ammo from Cabelas that is so weak it won't function the weapon putting dents in every round fired. Where I have been shooting there must be some rich guy shooting and I have picked up over a thousand 9 mm, and .45 ACP. He must of just got him an AK or SKS as now there is 7.62 X 39 brass. 30/06 got plenty .308 I can get 500 pieces of brass for $65 but it's military and a pain in the ass sizing it, carving out primer pockets, and length sizing it. As far as gun shows by the time you pay for parking then entrance I can get no deal. Dillon has the best life time warranty I have had on anything I have bought in my life Sometimes it makes me feel guilty with all new parts. I had them rebuild a Square Deal B and the parts if I was charged would have cost more than I paid for it. You got to admit nothing is more fun than putting a piece of lead through the center of a target ,3 feet out to 1,000 yards,

Last edited:
Being a dealer and manufacturer I haven't been to a gun show in 25 years. Those fuckers want to do a weekend and retire, or seems so with their prices.
It's worse than that.. You don't want to be seen at those events. Too many bad cops and rogue federal agents show up, stealing fingerprints, sneaking photo shoots, working up DNA rape kits, and working with democrat district attorneys on falsified Firearms charges.

View attachment 427937

View attachment 427938
10 or 15 years ago I bought an SKS for under $100. The same Arizona dealer a few months ago was selling SKS with crack stocks for $350. i bought my Mac for less than $200. I remember the shop that sold it to me saying 'I can't wait till they make these illegal' talking to the profit he would make. Never went back and he has been out of business for a good 10 years. What got me was the price some were charging for ammo. I thought Cheaper than Dirt would change their name after the shortage before the last was charging over $50 for a box of 9mm I reload and always bought in bulk but I draw the line when these scalpers try to get $7 for 100 small pistol primers. So if anyone knows how much to reduce the powder charge using magnum primers don't be shy.

LOL.....Last week I traded a well worn '67 Chi-Com SKS I had $250 in (the ones that came out of Albania) and four Brit Ferret armored car periscopes/viewing ports I had $50.00 in for a CAI build on a all metric STG-58......Runs like a top.

I went to a collector's show Saturday in Manassas, Virginia and I never did see a Chi-Com SKS under $700.00. Every Russian SKS I saw was over 1K.

58 001 (2).JPG

Forum List

Back