Bathroom Falls

odanny

Diamond Member
May 7, 2017
Midwest - Trumplandia
25499880-1946-11ef-aefb-b22b65f7da8f.jpeg

The bassist for Train recently died from a bathroom fall. He was the same age as me, You have to be careful of this as you get older, and I found this out recently when I slipped on a bath mat in the middle of the night. I landed on my knee and it was pretty sore for a while, and also smashed my little finger on something.

Most injuries are slips and falls in or right out of the shower or bathtub, and as you get older and less flexible, this can be a concern.

Charlie Colin, former bassist for the band Train, died after falling in the bathroom of a friend’s home where he was house-sitting. He was 58.

Colin’s cause of death is shocking, but bathroom injuries are fairly common. According to a report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, about 234,000 people went to the emergency room for non-fatal injuries related to bathrooms in 2008. Most of these bathroom injuries were related to the bathtub or shower area.

Though the CDC reported on non-fatal accidents in the bathroom, falls can be fatal, particularly in the case of older adults. In 2021, the CDC reported that between 2020 and 2021, 38,742 adults 65 and older died as a result of unintentional falls. However, all ages, especially those 41 to 60 years old, are susceptible to falls in the bathroom, according to a 2018 study.

“It is important to understand that the risk of falling in the bathroom isn't limited to the elderly,” Brittany Ferri, an occupational therapist with the National Council on Aging, tells Yahoo Life — with Colin’s death tragically proving that point. “People of all ages should be careful and aware of the potential dangers,” she continues. “It's a reminder that anyone can benefit from taking precautions to prevent falls, regardless of age or health status.”

View attachment 951481

The bassist for Train recently died from a bathroom fall. He was the same age as me, You have to be careful of this as you get older, and I found this out recently when I slipped on a bath mat in the middle of the night. I landed on my knee and it was pretty sore for a while, and also smashed my little finger on something.

Most injuries are slips and falls in or right out of the shower or bathtub, and as you get older and less flexible, this can be a concern.

Charlie Colin, former bassist for the band Train, died after falling in the bathroom of a friend’s home where he was house-sitting. He was 58.

Colin’s cause of death is shocking, but bathroom injuries are fairly common. According to a report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, about 234,000 people went to the emergency room for non-fatal injuries related to bathrooms in 2008. Most of these bathroom injuries were related to the bathtub or shower area.

Though the CDC reported on non-fatal accidents in the bathroom, falls can be fatal, particularly in the case of older adults. In 2021, the CDC reported that between 2020 and 2021, 38,742 adults 65 and older died as a result of unintentional falls. However, all ages, especially those 41 to 60 years old, are susceptible to falls in the bathroom, according to a 2018 study.

“It is important to understand that the risk of falling in the bathroom isn't limited to the elderly,” Brittany Ferri, an occupational therapist with the National Council on Aging, tells Yahoo Life — with Colin’s death tragically proving that point. “People of all ages should be careful and aware of the potential dangers,” she continues. “It's a reminder that anyone can benefit from taking precautions to prevent falls, regardless of age or health status.”

It does happen and more than you would think. A friend fell and broke his hip while in his mid 50's. Wet bathroom floor.
That was the beginning towards the end of his life.

1. This is the thread of the day.

2. Being 87, I realize that I can die of a terminal disease or an accident (such as a fall) or an act of violence.

3. First, in your shower, be sure to put in PLENTY of grab bars. I bought an inexpensive stool to put in the shower stall so that I could sit down. And a walk-in shower would be even better.

4. Second, when you go to the bathroom at night, be sure to turn on the lights and walk slowly. Hold on to something, even the wall or some furniture.

5. A lot of prominent people have died of a fall.

I think many common injuries are the result of people becoming lax. You get in & out of the tub several times a week and dozens of times a year. You're bound to get complacent. I talk with electricians and am even surprised by the number who don't practice basic safety.

A little off topic, but this reminds me of a funny story. I had a friend who saw this guy fake a fall in the grocery store. The manager came rushing over. My friend told the manager the guy on the ground was faking. The manager begged my friend to stay and give a written statement. I can't remember much of the rest, but know my friend left. I think he had to be somewhere urgently or at least for an appointment.

Forum List

Back