Baseball 2015 Thread

TheOldSchool

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
last stop for sanity before reaching the south
Never too early for Baseball right?

Lots of story lines going on this year.

What's your team and what are your predictions?

My team is the Nationals and my 1st prediction is that Stephen Strasburg and Bryce Harper are about to BLOW UP! And *cough* Max Scherzer *cough* Jordan Zimmerman *cough* Doug Fister *cough* Gio Gonzalez *cough**cough**cough* The Nationals FUCKING RULE!!!

2nd Prediction: everyone will boo A-Rod

3rd Prediction: the Padres will be awful

4th Prediction: The Cubs win a lot? :eek::eek::eek: :dunno: :confused: :cuckoo:

World Series Champion: The Washington Fucking Nationals

How about you all?

don't know but it will be the funnest baseball season for me since the 80's the fact my royals made it to the world series.something I honestly never thought would happen again in my lifetime.regardless if they follow the same path they did it 85 after they won the world series and had a losing season the next year,it will be fun going to the games and watching them this year.

I will actually be going there to actually watch the game itself instead of just watching the ballpark the whole time which is the only reason I have gone since the early 90's.:asshole:

I assume you are like me,that you find it boring when there is no baseball or football going on? that you cant get into basketball so that's why you made the thread this early?

• Banned
don't know but it will be the funnest baseball season for me since the 80's the fact my royals made it to the world series.something I honestly never thought would happen again in my lifetime.regardless if they follow the same path they did it 85 after they won the world series and had a losing season the next year,it will be fun going to the games and watching them this year.

I will actually be going there to actually watch the game itself instead of just watching the ballpark the whole time which is the only reason I have gone since the early 90's.:asshole:

I assume you are like me,that you find it boring when there is no baseball or football going on? that you cant get into basketball so that's why you made the thread this early?
Yup. My Wizards are decent for the first time in my life so I'm somewhat following them but I know they have no shot at the title.

I can't believe the Royals held whoever that guy on base was at third during game 7 btw. I was screaming at the TV lol.

Yup. My Wizards are decent for the first time in my life so I'm somewhat following them but I know they have no shot at the title.

I can't believe the Royals held whoever that guy on base was at third during game 7 btw. I was screaming at the TV lol.

Looked to me from the replays he would easily have been out had he gone home.

• Banned

I thought it was their only shot what with the way Bumgarner was pitching. It would've been a close play but I'd rather go down like that than a pop foul. That would've been one of the great moments in sports if he'd been safe and the Royals came back and won.

I thought it was their only shot what with the way Bumgarner was pitching. It would've been a close play but I'd rather go down like that than a pop foul. That would've been one of the great moments in sports if he'd been safe and the Royals came back and won.

yeah with him on the mound it might have been the chance to take but when I watched the replays I thought-naw he would have been out by a mile.it was really a no win situation.if he goes and is out by a mile like it really looked like he would be,then everybody says-why did the idiot send him,give the hitter a chance to knock him in. but he doesn't do that so now he gets critisized for not sending him.so for me,i don't fault him for it..

we would have won though if not for yost though cause he cost them from winning one of their games when he had butler available for a pinch hitter for vargas in the middle innings,the giants could not stop the royals bats and nost left the pitcher vargas in to hit instead of using butler which turned out to be costly because vargas could not get anybody out after that when he came back in so nost had nothing to lose by having butler to pinch hit and take vargas out,that was the momentum swinger where 'I" was yelling at the tv screen.

• Banned

yeah with him on the mound it might have been the chance to take but when I watched the replays I thought-naw he would have been out by a mile.it was really a no win situation.if he goes and is out by a mile like it really looked like he would be,then everybody says-why did the idiot send him,give the hitter a chance to knock him in. but he doesn't do that so now he gets critisized for not sending him.so for me,i don't fault him for it..

we would have won though if not for yost though cause he cost them from winning one of their games when he had butler available for a pinch hitter for vargas in the middle innings,the giants could not stop the royals bats and nost left the pitcher vargas in to hit instead of using butler which turned out to be costly because vargas could not get anybody out after that when he came back in so nost had nothing to lose by having butler to pinch hit and take vargas out,that was the momentum swinger where 'I" was yelling at the tv screen.
Fair enough. As long as we both agree that the Giants can piss off :thup:

Fair enough. As long as we both agree that the Giants can piss off :thup:

ned yost is a clone of whitey Herzog.the royals in the 70's won three straight division titles and they won all them all those years DESPITE Whitey Herzog not because of him.the white rat just got lucky and inherited a team that was on the rise,same thing happened in st Louis.

they lost three straight years to the Yankees and I always said to myself-damn,if the royals would just get rid of that jerk whitey Herzog,they would beat the Yankees.the white rat always cost the royals the fifth and final game against them in the playoffs back then when it was only five games cause paul splittorf would be mowing them down in the 9th inning so Herzog of course would take him out of the game and bring in a reliever who would blow the game for them.never made any sense cause their bullpen ws not their strong point.it was the hitting and starting pitching.

I tunred out to be a prophet that Herzog was the cause of them losing to them in the playoffs all the time because when they finally DID get rid of him and hired jim frey,the next time they faced in 1980,they beat them in three straight.hee hee.

history repeats itself,they got that far DESPITE ned yost,not because of him.matter of fact pedroe martinez tore into yost for that decision to not pinch hit for vargas and use butler.

speaking of the royals beating the Yankees,this sure brings back fond memories.ahhh the good old days.remember this.watch the video.that was a time and day when baseball was fun to watch before they started tearing down classic ballparks like yankee stadium and players stayed with one team their whole time.

you have to sit through about 5 minutes of watching UL washingtons previous at bat but its well worth the wait cause you get to see the entire thing,not just some cheap 40 second clip like they always show.:beer:

Last edited:
I haven't followed baseball in years. Even though I grew up in uptown manhattan I liked the mets, not the Yankees. Baseball was the first sport I started watching as a little kid in 86', when the mets were in the World Series. Strawberry and HoJo were my favorite players as a kid.

I hate the Yankees now because they represent everything that is wrong with baseball.plus what most baseball fans don't know around the country is that it was the Kansas City franchise that made them so great in many of their glory years. Mickey Mantel and Whitey Ford are just a few that they got from the Kansas city farm system. as well as benefitting from the royals stupidity trading away Lou Pinilla to the Yankees for some player who was worthless.

Plus Reggie Jackson was not a true yankee either. He was hated here in kc even when he was with the A'S because the A's were the Kansas city A's and then they moved to Oakland and it was not till they moved to Oakland that they started getting good.

Jackson of course got his start in the major leagues with the KANSAS CITY A'S. he went on to win an MVP trophys with the Oakland A;s though and the Yankees later of course.

thank god George Brett never left the royals for the Yankees.He hates them just like every royals fan does.

btw,love your message below about rightwinger.He is USMB'S resident troll.He should be banned.you may not realize this,but he is a paid troll on the governments payroll sent here to troll threads and make up outright lies to defend government corruption.

great message on USMB's resident troll here.:thup::up::beer:

Last edited:
so tired of the superbowl talk so turning to baseball again,here are a couple other royals/yankees classic moments,they all involved george brett to no surprise since he was the face of the franchise back then.the first one is really funny watching brett go ballistic in the pine tar game.

second is kinda funny as well watching a fight break out between him and greg nettles.Nettles was scum,he started it all.Brett was just trying to hold himself up trying to keep from falling and nettles kicked him in the head when he was down then when he got up, pushed him.Cant blame Brett for going after Nettles at all,what player wouldnt after taking that kind of crap from another person? Nettles was an asshole.

Last edited:
I actually started a baseball thread in December.
Moneyball US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Raiders got eliminated in September. Niners got eliminated in December. NFL playoffs were great and the SB was incredibly entertaining, but football is over until the draft.

I love March Madness. Love the NBA, especially with the Warriors success. Don't sell the Wizards short, TheOldSchool . They've got a good thing going in the House of Zards.

Baseball. I'm ready for Spring. I'm noticing that the sun is coming up earlier. Teams have left for Arizona.

I'm an A's fan. Giants are a close 2nd.

Giants signed Aoki. Royals fans will remember him. He gets on base. Not a real impact player, though. There will be no Panda hats in SF this year, or very few. Sandoval is the wrong player to overpay, I think, and the Giants were wise to let him go. Bring in local boy Casey McGahee at 3B and hope for the best. Giants get back a healthy Matt Cain and Angel Pagan, and that's as good as two major free-agent acquisitions.

While the Giants made few changes, the A's lineup was completely torn apart and rebuilt. This is Billy Beane's most ambitious work of art to date. It's been masterful to watch, and it's captivated me all winter. D.C. fans will remember Clippard who now solidifies the back end of the bullpen. Royals fans will remember Billy Butler, our new DH. Zobrist comes in to play wherever he's needed. Brett Lawrie is the new 3B. Marcus Semien is the new SS. Ike Davis, recovered from a long bout of valley fever, gets the majority of time at 1B. Some kid named Phegley platoons at catcher with Stephen Vogt and John Jaso.

Meanwhile in the maddening flurry of trades, the A's acquired the following young arms; Chris Bassit, RJ Alvarez, Jesse Hahn, Kendall Graveman and Sean Nolin. A couple of those guys are going to be good.

Did KC do anything to ad some pop to that anemic collection of hitters?

No which is no surprise considering their owner should be called David ASS instead of being referred to as David Glass.Ewing Kauffman until this past year,had to be rolling over in his grave the way he took that franchise into the ground for so many years.

One thing I think he did do right though is not resign Billy Butler.He was worthless this past season and the year before as a designated hitter.If thats all they were going to keep him for which they were,then it was smart to unload him.They couldnt get any worse at the DH spot now,they can only get better so that will help.lol

btw,did you watch those three videos of mine? by chance did you see those moments back in the 70's when they happened live like I did? If you DID, am I right that since then,this was the first time you had seen those moments since way back then in the 70's when they actually played the game for the love of the game instead of the love for the money?

Last edited:
I actually started a baseball thread in December.
Moneyball US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Raiders got eliminated in September. Niners got eliminated in December. NFL playoffs were great and the SB was incredibly entertaining, but football is over until the draft.

I love March Madness. Love the NBA, especially with the Warriors success. Don't sell the Wizards short, TheOldSchool . They've got a good thing going in the House of Zards.

Baseball. I'm ready for Spring. I'm noticing that the sun is coming up earlier. Teams have left for Arizona.

I'm an A's fan. Giants are a close 2nd.

Giants signed Aoki. Royals fans will remember him. He gets on base. Not a real impact player, though. There will be no Panda hats in SF this year, or very few. Sandoval is the wrong player to overpay, I think, and the Giants were wise to let him go. Bring in local boy Casey McGahee at 3B and hope for the best. Giants get back a healthy Matt Cain and Angel Pagan, and that's as good as two major free-agent acquisitions.

While the Giants made few changes, the A's lineup was completely torn apart and rebuilt. This is Billy Beane's most ambitious work of art to date. It's been masterful to watch, and it's captivated me all winter. D.C. fans will remember Clippard who now solidifies the back end of the bullpen. Royals fans will remember Billy Butler, our new DH. Zobrist comes in to play wherever he's needed. Brett Lawrie is the new 3B. Marcus Semien is the new SS. Ike Davis, recovered from a long bout of valley fever, gets the majority of time at 1B. Some kid named Phegley platoons at catcher with Stephen Vogt and John Jaso.

Meanwhile in the maddening flurry of trades, the A's acquired the following young arms; Chris Bassit, RJ Alvarez, Jesse Hahn, Kendall Graveman and Sean Nolin. A couple of those guys are going to be good.

I wasnt aware that the Giants signed Aoki.Damn that sucks the royals lost him.He was a fun player to watch.I dont expect the royals to go far in the playoffs this year if they make it now.He was a key player for them making it to the world series.But hey,thats okay if they dont go very far in the playoffs,as I said,i honestly never thought they would make it back to the world series again in my lifetime.seriously,I didn't.I honestly thought that as long as David ASS was the owner here,it would never happen.

as far as the A'S getting Billy Butler,I think the royals got the better end of it.as i said,he was worthless as a DH this past year and the year before.He is only good when he is playing full time first base.He isnt one of those players who can handle being strickly a DH.He isnt productive if he is used that way.

When our starting first baseman went down with an injury for a couple months,Butler came in and played first base and was productive then hitting.when he is just used as a DH,he is worthless.If the A'S use him that way which i am guessing they are,then I feel sorry for you.

speaking of the A's,i cannot believe how those idiots traded away that one player they had in their starting lineup for Lester.when that happened,they had no pop in their bats anymore and stopped scoring runs.worst trade ever for them.Had they not made that stupid trade,your A'S would probably have won the division.

I used to be a big fan of the california angels back in the 70's and 80's and they were always my 2nd favorite team in the american league but now since they are a big market team,I still like them and but with your A'S going back to those cool looking yellow uni's again,they are my second favorite team in the american league now.I would like to see them get to the series again as well sometime.matter of fact last year since my royals were in their usual playoff absense they had been in for 30 years practically,since your A'S were in it,i was cheering for them wanting to see them get to the world series.It bummed me out they lost to the Tigers,they took them down to the wire though and gave them a hell of a fight.I hate the tigers.

I am glad to see the a's have gone back to wearing their classic yellow jerseys at home games at times and the green ones on the road.I just wish they would ALWAYS wear the yellow jerseys at home and always the green ones on the road.that would be great.

The owners have really ruined the game with all these multi million dollar contracts they give out and free agency.No way in hell if this was before the day of that god damn free agency that came along in 73,would Sandoval have left the Giants.there was once a time when players like him would NEVER have left their team.

so did YOU watch those 3 classic royals/yankee videos i posted?

If so,did you see them back then in the 70's when it happened and if so,was that the first time you saw them again?

Last edited:
I used to have a George Brett rookie card. It was the year TOPPS made the mini ones. He was a favorite of mine growing up. All my baseball cards got stolen a few years ago.

I don't think Cespedes would have made the difference with the A's winning the division. Truth is, Sonny Grey and Kazmir struggled down the stretch and Lester was pretty good. The offense struggled as a whole. But, the A's didn't lose to the Royals in the playoffs for a lack of offense. Lester had a history of being clutch and he didn't pan out. Cespedes got hurt, in fact, and didn't do much for the Sox who tried to trade him this offseason.

It's hard to justify $10 million right now for Billy Butt. On the positive side, he's only 28 and has a career .314 average vs lefties. A's sold Brandon Moss high. Butler strikes out less. Beane thinks Butler's vibe will fit in well in the A's clubhouse. We'll see. His best year was 2012. '13 and '14 were not good.

Padres made a bunch of moves. Brought in Matt Kemp, James Shields, Justin Upton, Derek Norris, Will Myers and others. Ticket sales are up 81%.

Did KC do anything to ad some pop to that anemic collection of hitters?

No which is no surprise considering their owner should be called David ASS instead of being referred to as David Glass.Ewing Kauffman until this past year,had to be rolling over in his grave the way he took that franchise into the ground for so many years.

One thing I think he did do right though is not resign Billy Butler.He was worthless this past season and the year before as a designated hitter.If thats all they were going to keep him for which they were,then it was smart to unload him.They couldnt get any worse at the DH spot now,they can only get better so that will help.lol

btw,did you watch those three videos of mine? by chance did you see those moments back in the 70's when they happened live like I did? If you DID, am I right that since then,this was the first time you had seen those moments since way back then in the 70's when they actually played the game for the love of the game instead of the love for the money?
Seems inexplicable to me unless they have some hot prospects in the minors. Did not watch the vids. I do agree the huge contracts are ruining most major team sports though I think its more recent problem than all the way back to the 70's

Seems inexplicable to me unless they have some hot prospects in the minors. Did not watch the vids. I do agree the huge contracts are ruining most major team sports though I think its more recent problem than all the way back to the 70's

And yet the highest payroll team (Dodgers) got bounced by the #13 Cards.

#2 Yankees, #3 Phillies and #4 Red Sox missed the playoffs.

#19 Royals, #25 A's and the Pirates (#27 payroll) made the playoffs.

New Topics

Forum List

Back