Back when Hollywood actors seemed to have talent.

the other mike

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2019
Secret City under Denver Airport
The good old days. Anyone remember those ?
Comedies have always been my first choice...the list is pretty long--mostly films from the 70's 80's and 90's.

For drama, etc, Jack Nicholson comes to mind... Goin' South, A Few Good Men, The Shining, to name a few. Dustin Hoffman in Rainman. Paul Newman in Cool Hand Luke. (thank you dragonlady) Danny Devito is a great actor and director in many films. The cool romances like Michelle Pfeiffer and Al Pacino in Scarface , Kim Basinger and Michael Keaton in Batman.(with Jack Nicholson as the Joker)

Last edited:
There was a movie titled, "Wolf" with Jack Nicolson and Michelle Pfeiffer. She was, as usual, effin hot in that movie.

Nicolson, as usual, was brilliant. In fact, I may just go look that movie up and watch it even if I have to rent it online. It was a good movie.

Oh, and James Spader was pretty good in that movie as well. I always imagined him as an ass-kisser. :badgrin:

There was a movie titled, "Wolf" with Jack Nicolson and Michelle Pfeiffer. She was, as usual, effin hot in that movie.

Nicolson, as usual, was brilliant. In fact, I may just go look that movie up and watch it even if I have to rent it online. It was a good movie.

Oh, and James Spader was pretty good in that movie as well. I always imagined him as an ass-kisser. :badgrin:

Good movie. Her rich dad was played by the bad guy in Dragnet with Hanks and Aykroyd. Christopher Plummer I think.

Comedies have always been my first choice...the list is pretty long--mostly films from the 70's 80's and 90's.

For drama, etc, Jack Nicholson comes to mind... Goin' South, A Few Good Men, The Shining, to name a few. Dustin Hoffman in Rainman. Steve McQueen -Cool Hand Luke. Danny Devito is a great actor and director. The cool romances like Michelle Pfeiffer and Al Pacino in Scarface , Kim Basinger and Michael Keaton in Batman.(with Jack Nicholson as the Joker)

PAUL NEWMAN was in Cool Hand Luke. Steven McQueen was in The Great Escape and Bullitt.

For ME, the "good old days", include Marilyn Monroe, Clarke Gable, and Bogey and Becall. Fred & Ginger, Gene Kelly. I 'm also a big fan of musicals and dance movies. Most of my favourite movies were made before I was born, or I was too young to see: Seven Year Itch, Some Like it Hot, Citizen Kane, The Bandwagon, and my all-time favourite: Casablanca.

Monroe's costuming and plot was very racy for the time, and the whole movie must have made the Hayes Commission crazy:

For "current movies" (anything from the late 70's onward), I am a HUGE SciFi fan: Bladerunner being my favourite. Alien, Aliens, the Shining.

Have you seen Dr. Sleep - the sequel to the Shining? When I read that Stephen King was producing, I was shocked he went back to Kubrick's Overlook, since he famously hated Kubrick's movie, and produced his own version of the Shining using the actual hotel that inspired the book, to shoot it. Dr. Sleep's director spent a year convincing him to do this, and the result is chilling.

Last edited:

For drama, etc, Jack Nicholson comes to mind... Goin' South, A Few Good Men, The Shining, to name a few. Dustin Hoffman in Rainman. Steve McQueen -Cool Hand Luke. Danny Devito is a great actor and director. The cool romances like Michelle Pfeiffer and Al Pacino in Scarface , Kim Basinger and Michael Keaton in Batman.(with Jack Nicholson as the Joker)

PAUL NEWMAN was in Cool Hand Luke. Steven McQueen was in The Great Escape and Bullitt.

For ME, the "good old days", include Marilyn Monroe, Clarke Gable, and Bogey and Becall. Fred & Ginger, Gene Kelly. I 'm also a big fan of musicals and dance movies. Most of my favourite movies were made before I was born, or I was too young to see: Some Like it Hot, Citizen Kane, The Bandwagon, and my all-time favourite: Casablanca.

For "current movies" (anything from the late 70's onward), I am a HUGE SciFi fan: Bladerunner being my favourite. Alien, Aliens, the Shining.

Have you seen Dr. Sleep - the sequel to the Shining? When I read that Stephen King was producing, I was shocked he went back to Kubrick's Overlook, since he famously hated Kubrick's movie, and produced his own version of the Shining using the actual hotel that inspired the book, to shoot it. Dr. Sleep's director spent a year convincing him to do this, and the result is chilling.
Thanks- I edited it :p
(I get McQueen and Newman mixed up for some reason)

For ME, the "good old days", include Marilyn Monroe, Clarke Gable, and Bogey and Becall. ....
For Hollywood, I think of the good old days as anything before 2000, for the most part with some exceptions. Denzel Washington in Training Day, The Italian Job was good. Some Will Ferrell silly movies are fun.... Jim Carrey is good ( I'll try to forgive his Trump obsession) Me Myself and Irene with Renee Zellweger is pretty good.

I would like to throw John Travolta in, as well. He did a few tv movies. But he was mostly on the big screen.

The Boy in the Bubble (tv movie)
Grease
Pulp Fiction
...and a few others I forgot. :oops:

For drama, etc, Jack Nicholson comes to mind... Goin' South, A Few Good Men, The Shining, to name a few. Dustin Hoffman in Rainman. Paul Newman in Cool Hand Luke. (thank you dragonlady) Danny Devito is a great actor and director in many films. The cool romances like Michelle Pfeiffer and Al Pacino in Scarface , Kim Basinger and Michael Keaton in Batman.(with Jack Nicholson as the Joker)
Keatons acting as Batman was good but he was horribly cast for the role.one of the worst casting choices ever.Bruce Wayne did not have a pudgy belly,nor a half bald receding hairline,and was definetely not a short runt.Kim Basinger was the best thing about that movie.thank god fir Nolan,his casting of Christian Bale was the perfect Bruce Wayne what I imagined him to look like in the movies. :thup:

I certainly remember those days! :up:

From 1920s on.....and I wasn't even alive then lol!

Forum List

Back