Avoid Mexico

I went to Mexico the first time in 1959 and have been a regular visitor since. I've gone all over the country and I view it like going anywhere else. Be aware, respectful and civilized and you will have no problem. As for the crime and cartels--there are places in the US that are as bad or worse. E. LA, Compton, S. Chicago, Detroit, Philadelphia, Baltimore, E. Palo Alto, Oakland, NYC and on and on. But, it is OK with me if some folks don't want to experience other cultures. It is what makes the world go round.

It doesnt matter if you're respectful or not.
The cartels are famous for kidnapping gringos and demanding ransom,being nice wont stop that from happening.

I like learning about other cultures myself. When the Wife and I go to Jamaica we dont stay in the all inclusive places where they discourage you from leaving "the compound" for your own safety.
We go to the small places like Rock House,Idle Awhile,Tensing Pen and Catcha Falling Star.
Were good friends with the bartender at Catcha and we go with him to his house in the bush and hang out at the small restaurant he owns.

Mexico is far different. We used to go to Acuna all the time when we had our river property and the border was less than a hundred miles away.
I wouldnt go there these days.

36,000 drug related murders last year in Mexico. That doesn't include the "normal murders. I first went to Mexico in 1964 for work. At that time life was pretty safe. Since then I have watched it steadily deteriorate. Mexico is now one of the most violent countries on the planet, with out of control cartels who are basically in control of the government. One man, who was arrested waaaaay back in the 90's was a major drug cartel leader, and was in fact, the number two man in the Mexican Secret Police.

He is still there. His name is Alberto Sicilio Falcone if you care to look him up.

Participants in the Baja 1000 are now regularly robbed during the race.

I honestly don't believe your claims. They run so counter to the actual living experience of Mexicans who endure it every day.

I will venture I have travelled far more extensively than you have, and I won't go to Mexico without a machinegun in my hand.
Meh. I really don't care who travels where. You can venture any assumption that you or your ego want, I don't care. I stated a fact. I am fairly well traveled--not a jet setter but I've spent four of my 71 years in the far east, been to 20 different countries--last count, so I am not a novice traveler. You folks that fear your own shadows wouldn't enjoy a different culture anyway. We had a name for you in the 60s and 70s. Ugly Americans.

The cartels are famous for kidnapping gringos and demanding ransom,being nice wont stop that from happening.

I like learning about other cultures myself. When the Wife and I go to Jamaica we dont stay in the all inclusive places where they discourage you from leaving "the compound" for your own safety.
We go to the small places like Rock House,Idle Awhile,Tensing Pen and Catcha Falling Star.
Were good friends with the bartender at Catcha and we go with him to his house in the bush and hang out at the small restaurant he owns.

Mexico is far different. We used to go to Acuna all the time when we had our river property and the border was less than a hundred miles away.
I wouldnt go there these days.
Your choice. Jimmy Buffett wrote a song about one of his experiences in Jamaica. Seems he went down there for some jerk chicken--the damn government nearly shot his plane out of the sky. Bad things can happen anywhere. I am not here to change anyone's mind, I'm simply stating my fairly extensive experience in traveling to Mexico.

There are places in Mexico you don't go. There are places like Quintana Roo (where I was) or Yucatan that are completely safe. I'm not sure why you think it's all that different than the U.S.? You don't go to South Central LA. You don't go to the south side of Chicago, right?

Most Americans who get into trouble in Mexico are doing dumb shit or went somewhere they had no business being.

Your choice. Jimmy Buffett wrote a song about one of his experiences in Jamaica. Seems he went down there for some jerk chicken--the damn government nearly shot his plane out of the sky. Bad things can happen anywhere. I am not here to change anyone's mind, I'm simply stating my fairly extensive experience in traveling to Mexico.

I have to ask....when was the last time you visited mexico?

There are places in Mexico you don't go. There are places like Quintana Roo (where I was) or Yucatan that are completely safe. I'm not sure why you think it's all that different than the U.S.? You don't go to South Central LA. You don't go to the south side of Chicago, right?

Most Americans who get into trouble in Mexico are doing dumb shit or went somewhere they had no business being.

While those places are semi safe dont kid yourself into thinking things dont happen there.
There have been plenty of instances where those places have been proven not to be safe.

While those places are semi safe dont kid yourself into thinking things dont happen there.
There have been plenty of instances where those places have been proven not to be safe.
I didn’t say things don’t happen. Things happen anywhere. My point is it’s safer there than many places in the U.S.

I didn’t say things don’t happen. Things happen anywhere. My point is it’s safer there than many places in the U.S.

I can go to an American resort and pretty much guarantee I wont be killed by a cartel or any other crime syndicate.
In Mexico you cant say the same. They've kidnapped and killed people at the so called safe resorts.
While I'll agree it's not as likely to happen at the safer resorts it still happens.

Meh. I really don't care who travels where. You can venture any assumption that you or your ego want, I don't care. I stated a fact. I am fairly well traveled--not a jet setter but I've spent four of my 71 years in the far east, been to 20 different countries--last count, so I am not a novice traveler. You folks that fear your own shadows wouldn't enjoy a different culture anyway. We had a name for you in the 60s and 70s. Ugly Americans.

I don't fear anything. I have travelled far more extensively than you. Hell, I have actually lived and worked in more countries than you have been to, and Mexico is one of the absolute worst. And it is sad, because the Mexican people are for the most part truly awesome. It is their government that is terrible.

It is morons, like you, who try and infer cowardice about real facts that make me question anything you say. So, you go be a hero, and wander down Tijuana way, and take lots of pictures. Right now it endures a murder rate of 73 per 100,000.

Compare that to any city in America.

I don't fear anything. I have travelled far more extensively than you. Hell, I have actually lived and worked in more countries than you have been to, and Mexico is one of the absolute worst. And it is sad, because the Mexican people are for the most part truly awesome. It is their government that is terrible.

It is morons, like you, who try and infer cowardice about real facts that make me question anything you say. So, you go be a hero, and wander down Tijuana way, and take lots of pictures. Right now it endures a murder rate of 73 per 100,000.

Compare that to any city in America.

I remember back when I was a kid in the mid 70's and we'd go to Mexico by car and drive all over the place.
No worries at all. Nowadays with the mexicans raiding our borders there's a distinct dislike of Americans in mexico.

Their laws are abusive and overreaching. The law says nobody can own a gun, but the criminals and drug cartels are shooting people daily. The cops and judges are corrupt and paid off by the drug cartels and criminals, so only poor people get arrested and thrown in jail for anything. The accused in Mexico has few rights and those claimed on paper are not enforced. They throw people in jail and confiscate their property without a trial being held at all. The American consulate in Mexico refuses to help Americans under arrest. The jails are filthy and insect ridden. American politicians will also refuse to help Americans arrested in Mexico. It happened to me. If you value your freedom and your property, avoid Mexico.

US State Department Recommends American Citizens Avoid Travel To Mexico because of serious violent crime

Mexico Travel Advisory
Uh duh! This ain't the 80s.

New Topics

Forum List

Back