You Travel in, RV, Motor Home or Bus?

whoisit

Gold Member
Jul 19, 2016
HereWeGoAgain were talking about things we miss and this came to mind.
We had a Skoolie and it was great for trips, it was very sturdy and safe. Motorhomes are beautiful but not as safe, at the Skoolie site we Skoolie's call them sticks and staples?
Since we had grandkids or great grand kids on most trips we went with safer option also it was less expensive.

Last edited:
We had a Skoolie and it was great for trips, it was very sturdy and safe. Motorhomes are beautiful but not as safe, at the Skoolie site we Skoolie's call them sticks and staples?
Since we had grandkids or great grand kids on most trips we went with safer option also it was less expensive.

I do long distance by my plane normally. But, if I must drive I take the Maybach, and I stay in nice hotels.

When I was working I stayed in poopholes all over the world, now that I am older I only stay in nice places.

I do long distance by my plane normally. But, if I must drive I take the Maybach, and I stay in nice hotels.

When I was working I stayed in poopholes all over the world, now that I am older I only stay in nice places.
I had a motorhome when I was younger. Came to the conclusion that traveling in an economical car and staying in a nice place was cheaper and easier than upkeep, fuel, set-up and tear down of the vehicle every day. We find it much cheaper to travel in the car especially with today's fuel prices. Camping is another story. If we are going to camp in one place for an extended period, the camper on the pick up works great.

When I was working I stayed in poopholes all over the world,

My bus was very clean and had all the convenances of home,:) Plus it was hood on the beach [dual axel].It was a shorty,looked like a prison bus which was good nobody messed with us and cops always waved.

2W1ZHMV.jpg

FrzwMPx.jpg

I had a motorhome when I was younger. Came to the conclusion that traveling in an economical car and staying in a nice place was cheaper and easier than upkeep, fuel, set-up and tear down of the vehicle every day. We find it much cheaper to travel in the car especially with today's fuel prices. Camping is another story. If we are going to camp in one place for an extended period, the camper on the pick up works great.

Yeah, I don't "camp" any longer! :laugh: I'm too old to put up with being even slightly uncomfortable any longer.

We camped in tents at campsites. I didn't like staying in motels room's sleeping in their beds or use their bathrooms. But I'm as bad as the Monk about paranoia.

Yeah, I don't "camp" any longer! :laugh: I'm too old to put up with being even slightly uncomfortable any longer.
I get you. Our camper has all the comforts of home so we can spend time at the lake, beach or mountains with the grandkids. We converted the bed from a Q to a K standard mattress. Set up and tear down is a matter of putting a few things in cupboards. The biggest hassle is putting it on/off the truck in the spring and fall. Minor inconvenience is the grand scheme.

My bus was very clean and had all the convenances of home,:) Plus it was hood on the beach [dual axel].It was a shorty,looked like a prison bus which was good nobody messed with us and cops always waved.

2W1ZHMV.jpg

FrzwMPx.jpg
I can assure you, that converted school bus is not nearly as safe as my motorhome. 50k pounds and all steel house construction.
IMG_0102.JPG

Dang- is that a hotel on wheels?

I would definitely make the national news if I drove that.
It’s considerably better than a hotel. All the comforts of home no matter where we are in the country.

Driving it does require some skill, of course I have those skills.

It’s considerably better than a hotel. All the comforts of home no matter where we are in the country.

Driving it does require some skill, of course I have those skills.

It's a beauty for sure. I've never had a wreck in all my years of driving, but I can't see me getting that thing 14 feet before squishing, scraping or crunching it or something else.

I don't love hotels at all, but we don't have an rv, so sometimes we gotta bite the bullet. First thing I do is check for bed bugs. Even the nice hotels have them now and then and the very thought of them gives me a nervous twitch.

We did borrow my fil's once and I gotta say it was a blast. I think you could fit two of his into yours though.

I can assure you, that converted school bus is not nearly as safe as my motorhome. 50k pounds and all steel house construction.
View attachment 742762

Thats beautiful, and I know its nice but also expensive. We watched this couple on You Tube " Gone With Ther Wynns" who had a one, past 6 yr.s they sail around the world on a catamaran. Nice couple, no politics, just living the life.
Here are 5 of the great grandkids, but we haven't taken them anywhere since I sold the bus,plus the pandemic slowed us down alot. The little boy in the back use to do pull up's on the door rails of the bus.

wJPaxLq.jpg

Last edited:
It's a beauty for sure. I've never had a wreck in all my years of driving, but I can't see me getting that thing 14 feet before squishing, scraping or crunching it or something else.

I don't love hotels at all, but we don't have an rv, so sometimes we gotta bite the bullet. First thing I do is check for bed bugs. Even the nice hotels have them now and then and the very thought of them gives me a nervous twitch.

We did borrow my fil's once and I gotta say it was a blast. I think you could fit two of his into yours though.
You’d be surprised how easy it is to drive. I can drive it on the interstate with one finger, but I don’t. It’s very quiet as the motor is in the rear. Hence the name “diesel pusher.” Trucks don’t move me when they pass.

HereWeGoAgain were talking about things we miss and this came to mind.
I had a '64 Greyhound; It was nice, but life 8' wide is NOT for me.

Sound advice for anyone thinking of doing something like this, is to first rent one for a month and only stay in it for that whole month, and never once enter your real home during that time.

There is a documentary, I believe on Netflix, that shows people who decided to sell their homes and spend several years traveling the US/Canada and live in the RV.
A HUGE percentage of those people never made it a single year. Some, a matter of weeks.
It takes a different kind of person to be able to do it. And no matter how much you may want, or think you want to do it. If you are not one of those people - you will fail.

Thats beautiful, and I know its nice but also expensive. We watched this couple on You Tube " Gone With Ther Wynns" who had a one, past 6 yr.s they sail around the world on a catamaran. Nice couple, no politics, just living the life.
I’m very familiar with Gone with the Wynns. I’ve followed them for years. Nice couple and very adventurous.

My coach is 15 years old though it doesn’t look it, because I’ve cared for it meticulously. Not nearly as expensive as a comparable new coach.

I had a '64 Greyhound; It was nice, but life 8' wide is NOT for me.
My coach has four slideouts. Giving us lots of space. We often dance in the living room on our beautiful ceramic tile floors.

Nearly all motorhome have slide outs.

Forum List

Back