Australian Open 2023

Alan Stallion

Civil Rights Advocate
Dec 17, 2009
San Jose, California
The Australian Open main draw begins January 15.

This year Novak Djokovic is being allowed to play the Australian Open after the government's banning of him last year for his unvaccinated status. The Russians and Belarussians are allowed to play. Rafael Nadal is the defending champion and #1 seed, Carlos Alcaraz, the U.S. Open champion and #1 player of the world is out with an injury.

Rounding out the men's top ten seeds are Casper Ruud, Stefanos Tsitsipas, Djokovic, Adrey Rublev, Felix Auger-Aliassime, Daniil Medvedev, Taylor Fritz, Holger Rune, and Hubert Hurkacz. Alexander Zverev is back from injury and is seeded 12. Nick Kyrgios will do Kyrgios things I'm sure.

On the women's side, the 2022 champion Ash Barty retired shortly after her title run. Serena Williams has retired and former champion Naomi Osaka has just announced her pregnancy and will not be playing on the tour this year.

Iga Swiatek has been the dominate #1 since Barty's retirement. Round out the top ten seeds are Ons Jabeur, Jessica Pegula, Caroline Garcia, Aryna Sabalenka, Maria Sakkari, Coco Gauff, Daria Kasatkina, Veronika Kudermetova. A recent report puts into question Camille Giorgi's true vaccination status.

🎾

The television ratings will be microscopic. maybe a few people will watch if Djokovich plays Nadal. On the women's side, only immediate family will bother to watch.

And my new cable provider doesn't give me the tennis channel. Otherwise I would be one of the few tuning in.

I suppose Team GB will dominate again .

Andy should ease his way to the final and then knock out his old pal Novak .
In the women's section there are half a dozen of our elite squad who could dominate .
Not silly Emma but probably Kate Winslet or Jess Ennis Hill .

Better luck to the foreigners in the doubles and the coxed teams of eight

Intriguing Day One matchups on the women's side:
* Sofia Kenin (2020 AO Champ) vs Victoria Azarenka (2012 & 2013 AO Champ)
* Bianca Andreescu vs Marie Bouzkova
* Dayana Yastremska vs Jelena Ostapenko
* Elena Rybakina v Elisabetta Cocciaretto (surprise Wimbledon 2022 winner vs recent Hobart runner-up)

Intriguing Day Two matchups:
* Matteo Berrettini vs Andy Murray
* Garbine Muguruza vs Elise Mertens
* Andrey Rublev vs. Dominic Thiem
* Leylah Fernandez vs Alize Cornet
* J.J. Wolf vs Jordan Thompson
* Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova vs. Camila Giorgi

The Australian Open main draw begins January 15.

This year Novak Djokovic is being allowed to play the Australian Open after the government's banning of him last year for his unvaccinated status. The Russians and Belarussians are allowed to play. Rafael Nadal is the defending champion and #1 seed, Carlos Alcaraz, the U.S. Open champion and #1 player of the world is out with an injury.

Rounding out the men's top ten seeds are Casper Ruud, Stefanos Tsitsipas, Djokovic, Adrey Rublev, Felix Auger-Aliassime, Daniil Medvedev, Taylor Fritz, Holger Rune, and Hubert Hurkacz. Alexander Zverev is back from injury and is seeded 12. Nick Kyrgios will do Kyrgios things I'm sure.

On the women's side, the 2022 champion Ash Barty retired shortly after her title run. Serena Williams has retired and former champion Naomi Osaka has just announced her pregnancy and will not be playing on the tour this year.

Iga Swiatek has been the dominate #1 since Barty's retirement. Round out the top ten seeds are Ons Jabeur, Jessica Pegula, Caroline Garcia, Aryna Sabalenka, Maria Sakkari, Coco Gauff, Daria Kasatkina, Veronika Kudermetova. A recent report puts into question Camille Giorgi's true vaccination status.

🎾
This will be Nadals final Aussie
Hs is really struggling the last 6 Months

This will be Nadals final Aussie
Hs is really struggling the last 6 Months
100-1 is being generous .

Not match fit and we all know about his knees .
Will do well if he lasts to the last eight.
One of our top lads gave him a good seeing to a few days ago .

Goodbye Rafael .
You were badly advised to enter and finishing -- likely- on such a muted note will be sad for his fans .
Great career , particularly on the clay surface .

Guess King Andy maybe next to bite the dust as he took so much out of himself when beating Berrettini in the first round .Amazing result but at what cost?

Not an outstanding men's field after Mr Djoko . Perhaps our Cameron Norrie can power through to the last four.

Arise Sir Andy .

If tennis stars were nice and unselfish they should honour said UK royalty with the winner's cup .
Now .

What a performance after clobbering Berrettini,.
5 hours and 45 minutes . Longer than I have ever walked .

If he can even stagger onto court in the next round he should receive a Bravery award .

The Quarterfinals are here

🇺🇸
American upstarts have really made an impact on the tournament. For example, #1 Rafael Nadal was a victim of McKenzie McDonald, #2 Casper Ruud was a victim of Jenson Brooksby, Michael Mmoh took out #12 Alexander Zverev, J.J. Wolf took out #23 Diego Schwartzman, Tommy Paul took out #30 Davidovich Fokina, all in the second round.

Men's quarterfinal matchups...

#18 Khachanov
* #29 Korda

#3 Tsitsipas
Lehecka

#5 Rublev
#4 Djokovic

* Shelton
* Paul

* Three Americans remain for the quarters.

Women's quarterfinal matchups...

#22 Rybakina
#17 Ostapenko

* #3 Pegula
#24 Azarenka

#30 Pliskova
Linette

#5 Sabalenka
Vekic

* One American remains for the quarters and is the highest remaining seed.

All I know is that America would love to have the next big tennis star emerge. You can go back further, but I'll address the latest generations of American tennis stars and success winning majors.

70's/80's: McEnroe, Connors, Kriek, Chang
90's: Agassi, Sampras, Courier
2000's: Roddick

After that, nothing but pretenders since 2003.. James Black, Taylor Dent, Sam Quarry, John Isner... I'd love for one of these unknowns (to me) to break through and win the Aussie Open.

It's Thursday in Melbourne. Time for some semi-final action.

Women's semifinal matchups...

#22 Elena Rybakina
#24 Victoria Azarenka

Magda Linette
#5 Aryna Sabalenka

I'm starting to believe Azarenka can win a third AO title.

Men's semifinal matchups (Friday)...

#18 Karen Khachanov (Country that cannot be named)
#3 Stefanos Tsitsipas (Greece)

#4 Novak Djokovic (Serbia)
* Tommy Paul (USA)

Despite hamstring issues, Novak looks poised for another title. Khachanov/Tsitsipas might be a good battle.

Men's doubles semifinals play today
Chardy/Martin (French duo) v. Nys/Zielinkski (Monaco/Poland)
Hijikata/Kubler (Aussies) v. Granollers/Zeballos (Spain/Argentina)

Mixed double final to play (Friday?)
Mirza/Bopanna (India) v. Sefani/Matos (Brazil)

This will be Sania Mirza's final AO.

Women's doubles semifinals are:
Krejcikova/Siniakova (#1 seeds, Czech Republic) v. Kostyuk/Ruse (Ukraine/Romania)
Aoyama/Shibahara (Japan) V. Gauff/Pegula (#2 seeds, USA)

All I know is that America would love to have the next big tennis star emerge. You can go back further, but I'll address the latest generations of American tennis stars and success winning majors.

70's/80's: McEnroe, Connors, Kriek, Chang
90's: Agassi, Sampras, Courier
2000's: Roddick

After that, nothing but pretenders since 2003.. James Black, Taylor Dent, Sam Quarry, John Isner... I'd love for one of these unknowns (to me) to break through and win the Aussie Open.
Hard to see any American male winning a Grand Slam title as long as Djokovic is still playing his extraordinary level.

Taylor Fritz is now the top-ranked American at #9 and still has a lot of years left, but I don't know if he can advance much higher than his current ranking. Frances Tiafoe is fun to watch and has drive, but whether he can take that next step up remains to be seen. First time seeing this Ben Shelton guy, so time will tell if this 20-year old can build on his QF appearance.

Having 13 Americans currently in the Top 100 in such an international sport like tennis is impressive. But that elite level that Federer-Nadal-Djokovic-Murray in their heyday have played in, that's going to take some effort to reach.

It's Saturday in Melbourne! Time for some singles finals action.

Women's championship match...

#22 Elena Rybakina
#5 Aryna Sabalenka

Men's championship match (Sunday)...

#3 Stefanos Tsitsipas
#4 Novak Djokovic

Novak Djokovic , who is a huge favorite on this Australian Open Final ....on why he never had the Covid vaccine..... he says he doesn't want to take the COVID-19 vaccine because he doesn't know what effects it could have on his body!

And so far he is doing very well, no myocarditis, no heart attack, no clots.....:up: Good on him!!!!

....and Bill Gates ain't happy! :muahaha:

priceless

7Ej0nTo.jpg

Forum List

Back