Australian English

Mortimer

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2010
Gyppo Space Explorer
Yesterday I talked to a Australian friend on phone. I never talked to a australian before and he sounded more british english to me then american english i can broadly tell american from british apart. He told me I sound strongly austrian-german accent wise. Makes sense I grew up in Austria.

Australian English is basically Cockney in the East End of London, from where the founding population was sent to Australia. I cannot comprehend neither of them without subtitles.

The Cockney accent has long been regarded as an indicator of low status. For example, in 1909 the Conference on the Teaching of English in London Elementary Schools issued by the London County Council, stating that "the Cockney mode of speech, with its unpleasant twang, is a modern corruption without legitimate credentials, and is unworthy of being the speech of any person in the capital city of the Empire".[89] Others defended the language variety: "The London dialect is really, especially on the South side of the Thames, a perfectly legitimate and responsible child of the old Kentish tongue [...] the dialect of London North of the Thames has been shown to be one of the many varieties of the Midland or Mercian dialect, flavoured by the East Anglian variety of the same speech".[89] Since then, the Cockney accent has been more accepted as an alternative form of the English language rather than a lesser one, though the low status mark remains.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back